The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did You know - outdoor edition  (Read 35358 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Did You know - outdoor edition
« Reply #1040 on: September 11, 2021, 10:44:20 AM »
I did not have the faintest idea that the moon crescent indicated a girl outhouse, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1041 on: September 11, 2021, 11:21:21 AM »
I did not know you were even alive back in ancient times, but now that makes sense.   :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #1042 on: September 11, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
I am more ancient than you.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1043 on: September 11, 2021, 05:19:59 PM »
 :D :D :D 8)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1044 on: September 11, 2021, 07:00:23 PM »
   Did you know that when you go to mount a camel you first make the camel sit down and it is sitting on his legs and belly sort of like a sphynx  you get on and he first gets up with his back legs then he rises in the front. When you get off you do everything in reverse and the camel kneels down in front then lowers his back legs and you get off. Of course you better have a good grip so you don't slide off in the process. It is easier on an Asian camel than on an African camel because on the Asian camel you are sitting between the 2 humps and can hold on to the front one. My wife got on one in northern Mongolia and the herders nearly died laughing at her screaming as the camel got up and down. I got pictures of her bear hugging the front hump and yelling.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1045 on: September 12, 2021, 06:00:12 PM »
  Did you know the hump on a camel is a good indicator of hydration? A plump, fully erect/upright hump (two humps on Asian Camels) is a sign the camel is well watered. The hump is generally accepted to be a reservoir of fluid for camels to draw down on when they encounter periods of reduced water access. The hump(s) on a poorly hydrated camel will flop over to the side.

One of the days I'll tell the joke about "bricking" a camel but maybe this is not the time and place for it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1046 on: September 12, 2021, 06:02:18 PM »
Bricking+happy mountain?  :D :D
Building the land of my dreams.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #1047 on: September 12, 2021, 06:21:35 PM »
 Did you know the hump on a camel is a good indicator of hydration? A plump, fully erect/upright hump (two humps on Asian Camels) is a sign the camel is well watered. The hump is generally accepted to be a reservoir of fluid for camels to draw down on when they encounter periods of reduced water access. The hump(s) on a poorly hydrated camel will flop over to the side.

One of the days I'll tell the joke about "bricking" a camel but maybe this is not the time and place for it.
I've heard it, might not wanna post it here!  :P
:D :D
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1048 on: September 13, 2021, 06:40:59 AM »
   Okay, I won't post that or running out of chain with  the bear trap joke either.

I may be a little intermittent (late?) at posting or replying for the next week due to my other scheduling issues. Stay safe and healthy. Don't stick your hand in any badger holes this week.
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1049 on: September 13, 2021, 08:38:25 PM »
   Did you know most birds defecate as they fly off any roost? This is a natural trait intended to lighten the load for flying. It is also a good reason not to startle large flocks of nearby birds into flight especially if you are under their roost tree or when you have any reason to believe you may be in their initial flight path. ::) It might be a good trick to pull on your hunting or fishing buddy if he happens to be near a flock you can scare to fly out over him. :D
Howard Green

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #1050 on: September 14, 2021, 09:45:08 AM »
That's right Howard!

Quite a few years back I surprised a flock of roosted turkeys early one morning, they all flew and so did the crap, I think they all had to go, and I was lucky, they went the other way!

I was close enough that I could hear the stuff hitting the leaf covered ground!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #1051 on: September 14, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »
So all these years I've been eating the constipated one, low and slow  :-\
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1052 on: September 14, 2021, 09:20:09 PM »
coming in by canoe after dark while trapping the geese cause quite a few splats in the water around me as they fly over
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1053 on: September 14, 2021, 11:40:09 PM »
   Did you know standard turkey hunting practices for old timers used to be to separate the flock then call them back together? If an old timer could kill the old hen he'd sit there and call in and shoot every single young one. If you've ever scattered them at night as Chuck describes, you can come back at daylight and hear them all clucking and yelping and putting to get back together. Turkeys are very social birds and call to each other constantly to keep the flock together.
Howard Green

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #1054 on: September 15, 2021, 06:05:58 PM »
A good fall hunting tactic.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1055 on: September 15, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »
    Did you know if the residents of Colorado (at least those from the Denver to Ft Collins area) ever visit West Virginia, they will never be happy living in CO again? Sorry guys but once you CO residents see our green, well watered state with real mountains instead of distant canyons and scraggly pine trees you will never be happy in the flat, parched land we have seen the last few days. Actually, some of the area up around Estes National Park is pretty and look like a nice short term vacation spot but not a long term residence area.

My sawmill would starve to death out here.
Howard Green

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1056 on: September 16, 2021, 01:40:32 AM »
Guess you don't know CO.   :D :D

But there are those in West "by God" Virginia that like WV, and can't help it. ;)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1057 on: September 16, 2021, 06:34:46 AM »
great now we have an east west thing, in addition to the north south grits controversy.   :snowball:   :)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #1058 on: September 16, 2021, 09:13:23 AM »
He likes his mountains small and green.  

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1059 on: September 16, 2021, 09:28:34 AM »
Doc,

Sorry about that. If the truth hurts sometimes you just have to accept it. My wife has been looking for some exciting topography ever since we landed and all it seems we saw till we went up to Estes was flat, brown, wilted corn crops with big irrigation systems running overhead.

Our niece who is getting married today said people here are not even allowed to have a rain barrel because I guess that prevents the rainwater from reaching the aquifer and getting shared by everyone.

And I have not been able to get grits any place we ate breakfast. No wonder they approved cannabis use out here. :D

Danny,

The mountains we saw yesterday were nice but they were often shear, bare rock with a few scattered, sickly looking, pine trees fighting for their livelihood. The mountains were all brown with what looked like dead or dying brush. 

There are some neat things out here and the mule deer doe I saw in the people's yard was a very big, very healthy looking deer and looked a lot bigger than our whitetails. My wife was impressed just to see a prairie dog. That's sad! No telling what these folks would do if they actually saw a big fat woodchuck sitting up beside the road or out in a meadow.

I am glad there are people here who like this area or we would be so overrun with people we would be as crowded as NYC. The guy sitting beside me on the plane had on a Ga Bulldogs hat and was coming out to hunt elk with a bow. He likes to hunt here but then he comes back east to live. My local barber is out here this week elk or mule deer hunting but he is returning to WV after.
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Empyre Outdoor wood stove /Any outdoor boiler

Started by KamHillbilly on Firewood and Wood Heating

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2018, 07:01:53 AM
by ButchC
xx
Husqvarna 372xp Original Edition vs. 372xp Current Edition "X-Torq" Saws.

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

69 Replies
Last post January 11, 2021, 10:43:28 AM
by weimedog
xx
Stihl 034 AV early edition

Started by doug9270 on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2021, 07:32:34 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Limited Edition LogRite