iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick edger

Started by Patrick NC, February 06, 2021, 05:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I've got an opportunity to get a frick edger from a friend of mine. It is currently in use and runs 6-8 hours every day. He says it's a 3x27. The reason he's selling it is because he bought a newer one with more capacity. The problem is it has a 30hp 3 phase electric motor. I don't have 3 phase power. Any ideas about repowering it with a gas engine or maybe a pro shaft to power it with a tractor?  
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

KenMac

A friend of mine had a 50 hp phase converter for sale for $1500. Something like that may be an option.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Patrick NC

My power service is only 150 amps. At some point I'm going to build a shop and have another service put in, but for now I think electric is out of the question. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

richhiway

Matt Cremona on youtube converted a 3phase milling machine with a electronic box of some kind. looks simple but idk anything about it.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

You could run it on a diesel generator. Most of the military surplus are 3 phase. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

moodnacreek

Put an engine on it. It needs to turn +- 1800 rpm. Tractor pto too slow without some kind of overdrive. 25 hp should work. I should have what you need here.  If you stay electric and by a gen. make sure you have the right voltage. Check the shift saw hub and keyway on that edger. Expect it to be loose but not all worn out. The feed rolls wear out to. Not cheap to rebuild a worn out edger but worth it in the long run on a real machine.      You can always stop here on your way north, Doug

muggs

To maintain the same production as the 30 hp electric, I think you are going to need about a 50hp IC engine. Can you separate the feed from the blades, and use two separate motors?    

Patrick NC

I don't need to make the kind of production he does, I'm just trying to get away from edging on the mill.  

PAmizerman

Seems to me buying then converting it would not be cost effective vs just buying something like a riehl edger
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Southside

I would not run an edger off a PTO shaft - you will find only having one path around the machine will be limiting as a small operator.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

scsmith42

Patrick, one option would be to run the existing edger motor off of a 3 phase generator.  I know where there are some good, used take out generators in the $3,000 - $5,000 range in the Raleigh area, from 35KW up to 50KW.  Most of them have less than 1000 hours on them too.

If that edger is wired for 480, you'll only need 8 gauge wire so the wire costs won't be astronomical.

Plus, if you acquire more larger sized 3 phase equipment in the future you can run them off of the generator as well.

One big benefit about doing this instead of repowering the edger is that the generator is a resalable asset.  

PM me if you'd like more info about the generators.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

moodnacreek

A 2 saw board edger with 9/32" kerf [ insert tooth saws] needs 20 electric motor hp to edge a 2" hardwood plank. That would be something like a 4 cylinder Wisconsin. In softwood or hardwood boards a 2cyl. Wisconsin will work. In the event that an engine without enough power is installed the feed would have to be modified to slow that part down. Anything is better than edging boards on the sawmill as long as it can cut straight lines.  I would rather bite the bullet on a real sawmill edger with not enough power than buy one that is light duty and could never be upgraded. If you keep going forward with sawmill work you will come up against work that is heavier than you expected. Sawing and lifting machines are often not heavy enough.

Patrick NC

Thanks for all the advice. I just found out he's going to keep the motor so I'll have to proceed with an alternate power source. I have a 23hp Briggs and a 17 hp 2cylinder yanmar diesel. If neither of these have enough power I'll have to look for something bigger. 

Patrick NC

Bought this edger yesterday. Now I've got to figure out what to power it with. 

Sawyerfortyish

I had a frick edger just like you have I ran it with a 4 cyl wisconsin. I had to hand crank the moter to start. That got old quick after it backfired and twisted my wrist down the road it went. I replaced it with a 4 cyl ford moter. The kind that powers a chipper. I think it was a 172 ford and that worked just perfect. I now have a cornell edger i ran for 15 years with a 353 detroit and just replaced that with a 471 detroit. Your frick edger depending on what your edging will work good with a 50 hp gas moter in 4/4 but if you try edging 8/4you will need more hp

Dave Shepard

What is the feed speed? What kerf? My ED 26 Wood-Mizer will edge 8/4 hardwood at 80 fpm. That's a 26 hp Diesel. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brian_Rhoad

I have a 2 saw Meadows edger. It will do 4" material. 65 HP Wisconsin engine. It will cut 4" Oak just as easy as 1". 

Patrick NC

Found an old Ford Ranger with a 4cyl diesel engine on Craigslist today. No title. They want $500. If it runs good it would probably be a good candidate for powering the edger. I'm on the way to look at it now. 

moodnacreek

Now your talkin. That's just what I would do. I think they had a Perkins, should be just the right size. Hope it is a stick. Might need a belt drive governor. That would go on the l/h side to turn the saws down.

mike_belben

I would also be looking for a mass produced econobox car engine.  Heck id park it outside with a lineshaft coming into the building like a water mill. 
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on June 02, 2021, 07:42:39 AM
I would also be looking for a mass produced econobox car engine.  Heck id park it outside with a lineshaft coming into the building like a water mill.
A water mill? I haven't had frog legs in a long time.

Thank You Sponsors!