iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bass logs

Started by JP, April 04, 2005, 06:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

Hi All:
My neighbor jest dropped off 600 BF of 18-24" x 8 1/2' Bass logs and asked me to saw them into somthing he can sell??
anyone have any idea what that might be???-I have no idea what Bass is used for now? I know it was once used for boxes and crates also wood carving.  any help would be great  JP :-* 
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

Bibbyman

Used for the same things.  I think it's also used in making trim as it machines well in all directions without splitting out.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Not quite for sure JP what that Kissie smiley means at the end of your post...guess I'll ignore it since you're a senior sawyer. :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Ya mean this stuff?

I've only sawed it on occasion until recently.  Thick seems good for the wood carvers.  Shutters are quite popular...again saw thick and resaw.  Trim, quilting frames, and music wood.

Get it sawed fast and on sticks to avoid grey along with sticker stain.  I'm still learning how to dry to keep the bright white. :-*
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Engineer

I cut all my basswood (what little I had) into 6/4 and 8/4 flitches, and cut a few 4x4's out of it as well.  The 4x4's (free of heart) got put in my shed before they ever saw rain or snow, and they are as white as can be.  Also bone dry and check-free.  I saw chunks of 16/4 by 12" wide by 16" long basswood selling for almost 40 bucks at this past weekends woodworking show in Saratoga, NY.

I don't do any carving, but I cut it 'cause it isn't worth squat for firewood, and I might be able to sell air-dried pieces for a couple bucks each on eBay.   It *is* great for carving.

Ron Wenrich

I sawed some up for some decoy carvers.  They wanted 2" stock for the heads, 4 x 6 stock for ducks, and 6 x 8 stock for geese.  They also want no heart.  Cut it to size and sell on Ebay.

I used to saw it so that I would take the heart out with a board. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

I understand that basswood needs to be sawn quickly after felling. If the logs lay even a few days or so, they will get bacteria growing in from the log ends, meaning the wood is beginning to decay and likely stain comes along with the bacteria. Winter time (cold) the logs can lay a bit longer, but in warm weather, time is critical. Expect that is also what Larry is referring to as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JP

Hi thanks for all the info Ill be cutting it in the am.  the sinior bifocals failed to observe the full action of the smiley// wont happen agan/  :-X JP
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

tnlogger

jp now i thought you was getting sweet on bibby  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
gene

UNCLEBUCK

I have 30 half semi-loads of basswood that the tree service brought me after a storm last summer and I be gettin after it very soon here in western minnesota . I going to saw it into 1 inch siding for board and batten projects . I dont a know thing about basswood except it makes a average firewood as I tried a few chunks but I try not to waste any kind of log so I will show what basswood siding looks like in a few weeks ok. Wood carvers love it ,its soft . Good luck with your sawing and show pictures of how it turns out if you can.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ron Wenrich

I've sawn basswood that has laid for several months.  I didn't see any adverse effects.  You may get some blue stain in the summer, but the carvers don't really care about that, since they paint the wood. 

I'm sawing a little dab of basswood today for the commercial market.  Its going as 4/4 lumber and sold on NHLA grade.  The lower grade prices aren't much better than pallet.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

We've sawn some Basswood.  Have some on hand right now.  Nobody is asking for it. 

Some we've sawn ended up in Poland and Austria by way of other people.  The batch that went to Poland went to woodcarvers.  The small batch that went to Austria went to make bridges inside violins.
Sawing since '94

populus

I looked inside my violin at the soundpost (not the bridge - that's the thing that holds up the strings and is made of maple).  Then I measured. I figured that 1 board foot of basswood will make soundposts for about 714 violins. Hmm, sounds like Bibbyman pretty much saturated the  market  :D.

Bibbyman

Yea,   I think it was a 4/4x10" x 4' long.. :D
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

basswood is used in some solid body guitars.

Most violin bridges are made from maple if I remember correctly.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!