Sponsors:

Veggie Garden 2021

Started by SwampDonkey, June 05, 2021, 01:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

You'll eat good this winter. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Leftover and aged cukes. :-\ I bet I could fill a barrel, there are 2 other patches. ;D

#11 Sam Hubbard for scale on the bigger ones. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Making 6 more bottles of tomato sauce this morning. House smells like tomato soup. :D

21incher

That's one of the best smells ever.
Sweet potatoes are cured and time for some fries in the air fryer. I definitely will plant them from now on.
Root cellar is filling up.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mike_belben

thats what "sustainable" looks like.

smiley_thumbsup
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Sweet potato fries is certainly good eat'n. 8)

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 19, 2021, 04:41:09 AM
Sweet potato fries is certainly good eat'n. 8)
I haven't had sweet patio fries in at least a couple years! Use to make them all the time. Mix them up in preferred seasoning or spices and veggie oil and bake to a crisp! 
A1

Mooseherder

We lease a field to a farmer.  Last year they grew oats.  This year blue potatoes they sell to Terra Blue Chips.  We pick up what is left behind after harvest. 

They make excellent fries.  The color is more deep purple cut open. 

SwampDonkey

It's amazing the color you find in potatoes. Very diverse veggie  8) and many of us just use white or yellow flesh ones.  ;D

21incher

I tried planting Adirondack blue potatoes one year but didn't get many. Yours look like my beets.

This is why I don't grow broccoli. Went to my local Amish store today and they had fresh local broccoli for 69 cents a head and they were almost as big as a dinner plate 8).

Can't wait for them to start picking cauliflower.   
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Mooseherder

I cooked a cauliflower cut into florets inside a tinfoil packet with sea salt on the grill for the first time.  It was delicious. 
The fries turned out good.  Before fryer pic.

SwampDonkey

Local farmer here was hauling in a load of boxed cauliflower as I was coming home. I have seen his stuff once in awhile in the local Atlantic Superstore (grocery store) in Woodstock.

Spud harvest has started here this week to. The farmer here by the house has no crew on the harvester, they are at the potato house when they unload. They dig 24 rows at a time I believe. And he has a lot of trucks. The harvester alone is a $600,000 machine, but there are smaller machines that gather other rows and pile them into the rows he digs (wind rowers). He grows 900 acres.

21incher

They haven't started harvesting potatoes by me yet. There are a couple thousand acres of muckland they use for them and onions and Its amazing to watch the old army 6 x6s fitted with 20 ton potato boxes go buy. They have a fleet and one goes by about every 15 minutes for a month. Love the sound of them coming up the hill. There used to be a bump in the road in front of my house and I would collect about 50 pounds of potatoes each year from ones that bounced out and hit the grass. To bad they redid the road 3 years ago. Nothing like the sweetness of muck grown potatoes.

VB-Milling

Quote from: 21incher on September 22, 2021, 06:54:18 PM
There used to be a bump in the road in front of my house and I would collect about 50 pounds of potatoes each year from ones that bounced out and hit the grass. To bad they redid the road 3 years ago.

The one instance in history that someone is disappointed the DOT actually did their job  :D
HM126

mike_belben

Quote from: VB-Milling on September 23, 2021, 11:39:26 AM
Quote from: 21incher on September 22, 2021, 06:54:18 PM
There used to be a bump in the road in front of my house and I would collect about 50 pounds of potatoes each year from ones that bounced out and hit the grass. To bad they redid the road 3 years ago.

The one instance in history that someone is disappointed the DOT actually did their job  :D
Every trucker hates when DOT does his job.  Unless its to some other trucker competing for a load. 
;D
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

I took a stroll down to the garden yesterday and had a look over the squash vines. What was green and small 2 weeks ago, has yielded another 6 squash that are sizing up and ripening.

We've got lots of fresh big beef steak tomatoes to finish out the season. We've made sauce and canned all we want. Only so much you can eat. The rest can feed the worms. :D

Those bell peppers sure produced this year, still lots more coming on. Wish I was into pickled peppers, but not a big fan. We've got lots frozen for meat dishes. The plant stalks are pretty stout and look like small tree bark. :D

Aside from critters chewing on stuff earlier in the season, I'd say the garden has been very successful. Just amazing. :)

Al_Smith

The temps dropped but most likely will rebound some .Then it dawned on me I'd best get with it and do some fried green tomatoes while I still have some .I use the method they use in Dolly Wood and got it right from the cooks there but it's on the internet also .

21incher

I harvested some beets yesterday and dehydrated most of them. Some were giants but still sweet. My first time trying this and they have 100x the flavor of a cooked beet. Too strong to enjoy so they will be ground and used for flavoring.

Al_Smith

It's hard to plant enough just for fresh produce for two old folks .I threw away more this year than we used in just two raised beds .We don't can or freeze and her kids are in Toledo and mine are in Columbus and the only thing  left is to  feed the ground hogs .What they don't eat if they germinate will become a jungle next year .Saying that the season is about over . 

mike_belben

Got chickens?   Im blending up our crummy fruits, veggies, peels and greens for them.

Lasts a long time in a fermentation and boosts their beneficial gut microbes
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

Had hens when I was just a little sprout on the farm near Caledonia Ohio 10 miles from nowhere .Free range and they were good bug control for the garden which was huge .I had a pet hen that followed me around like a dog .Also had a rooster that was mean as a snake .I think a chicken will eat anything that doesn't eat them first .I do know a snake doesn't stand a chance if the hens spot them .About twenty of them have their way with them .no more snake .

mike_belben

I toss cherry tomatoes into the pen with my little broiler chicks and watch a rugby game breakout.  
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

21incher

Was it good? The apples around  here are bigger this year but so far they seem to have watered down flavor from the constant rain this summer 

SwampDonkey

Been eating them as fast as I can. Yes, they are good. :D They are beefsteak so they are large tomatoes to begin with. There's probably 30 more on the ground going bad now. Plus lots of mid sized Scotians that are gone past expiry. :D Oh man, they will be like weeds next summer. :D

The local apples have been a good crop this year, sweet and juicy. I only buy local apples. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!