iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Sheds

Started by D6c, June 30, 2021, 03:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

A local grower of landscaping plants is selling out and has four high tunnel frames that they used either with plastic coverings or with shade cloth.
I won't have a chance to look them over until tomorrow but I was thinking they might make good lumber drying sheds.
I'd need opaque plastic on the top to protect from weather and sun and could either leave the lower part open or cover with shade cloth.

Anyone used something like this for drying sheds?  

Wudman

We have a high tunnel on the farm that grows tobacco plants in the spring and sits idle the rest of the year.  I have used it to air dry some lumber.  Works fairly well.  You need some ventilation (we can drop the sides) so it doesn't rain inside.  Open sides, you should be fine.

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

PoginyHill

Not really a drying "shed", but seems to be an appropriate place to post my latest effort. I have use roofing laid on top of my lumber, but that is four pieces to cover a 16ft X 4 ft pile. I've made a wooden frame to attach roofing to - a single piece, but rather heavy to move around, especially alone. So I made a wooden frame roof to attach road fabric to. Road fabric is tough and not impacted by UV, and a LOT cheaper than a tarp. I thought it was fairly water tight - I've seen it hold plenty of water puddles. But after last nights light rain, it looks as though some makes it through the fabric. Anyhow, I'll give it a try. A lot less water on the lumber, if not completely dry. These are much lighter that metal roofing. My only concern is snow in the winter. Won't know how it holds up to that for several months. Frame is made of 2X2 and 1X2 softwood.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Nebraska

I think I may steal some of your design.  I need to make a couple  stack covers. I've been contemplating a metal frame car port as well. I need better drying space.

D6c

I was wondering if you could kill two birds by pouring a concrete slabs for weight and rain cover in one.   For4' x 8' stack it would have to be 6 x 10'.  Haven't calculated the weight but it might be pretty heavy.

VB-Milling

At 4 inches thick, 60sqft of traditional ready mix concrete would weigh about 2700-2800lbs.
HM126

Southside

Slabs don't generally do well being moved around a whole lot.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

D6c

Quote from: Southside on August 04, 2021, 02:58:53 PM
Slabs don't generally do well being moved around a whole lot.  
Yea, it would probably need a lot of rebar to keep it in one piece

Tom the Sawyer

6'x10' - 60 sqft of 4" should be 2900 lbs. and likely pretty fragile at that thickness.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!