iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used Nyle L200 - To Buy or Not to Buy

Started by Willski55811, July 14, 2021, 12:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willski55811

There is a lightly used Nyle L200 for sale near me that is housed inside a very well built 12x24 shed. He wants $15k for the whole thing and I would need to move it which is a whole project in itself.

I am just getting started trying to get a wood centered business off the ground, my main goal is more centered around live edge slabs and slab furniture and I am aware of the shortfalls of DH kilns and drying 8/4+ wood. I would probably air dry for a year or so then finish it off in this and sterilize it. I could also use it for 4/4 material and sell that which seems to be more in its wheelhouse but I'm not as knowledgeable about that side of the world. I know the iDry is pretty much the gold standard for what I am looking to do but that has a pretty heavy price tag.

So my question is, would this be worthwhile having if I'm looking to more get into the live edge world? Or should I save up and plan for an iDry? It looks like the L200 is about $8k new so to break it up he is looking for about $6K for the equipment and $9K or so for the building.

YellowHammer

$15K for a fully functioning, lightly used Nyle 200 plus building plus baffles, fans, electrical, etc is a steal as long as the wood is in good shape, its well insulated, the doors close and the floor is flat.  How old is the compressor unit?  Is it an "M" version?  

If he lived closer to me, I'd have it loaded on the truck already and heading to Alabama in a cloud of dust.

I dry hundreds of thousands of 8/4 and 4/4 board feet in a couple Nyles, and I am convinced they are superb at it, or I would have something better.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Willski55811

It looks like it may be older than I thought but the seller says he only has run 6 loads through it. I'm guessing it is a "K" version as the model number is "4K"?

K-Guy

The 4K means it was sold by Baileys and Nyle made it for them. The kiln building looks in good shape but you can't how the unit is going to hold by looking. Basically, if it runs great, but they don't like to sit. Units that run constantly last longer and need fewer repairs. We still have parts for these or replacements.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Willski55811

Quote from: K-Guy on July 14, 2021, 03:29:32 PM

The 4K means it was sold by Baileys and Nyle made it for them. The kiln building looks in good shape but you can't how the unit is going to hold by looking. Basically, if it runs great, but they don't like to sit. Units that run constantly last longer and need fewer repairs. We still have parts for these or replacements.

Thanks that is really good to know. Any chance you could point me in the direction of what I should look for to determine that it runs properly?

K-Guy

I'm afraid not, either it works or it doesn't. Then it's up to the kiln gods as to how long it lasts. Don't sacrifice chickens to them though, they prefer steak.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Can you have a compressor technician go over the system for you and that you will pay for his inspection and deduct any required maintenance from the 15K?  Certainly the structure looks excellent, so you are likely getting a durable piece of equipment.  If this is a business investment, then the $15K is a depreciable piece of equipment.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

You will need to get power to it, even for a technician to test it.  Does it still have electricity going to it?  It's a simple system: controller, heat strips, a few relays, and compressor.  

Fire it up, cycle thorough the steps, and watch the coils.  There are safety trips if the freon is too low or too high.  The chamber temperature needs to be 80F or higher for the compressor to come on.  If it doesn't cycle correctly, you won't hurt it.     
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

boonesyard

If I were closer, I'd suck that deal up. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Stephen1

Send in the equipment float. Load it up and take it home. Thats a great price for a complete unit. The idry is just a different version of a DH kiln. 
All the parts are still available, which makes it a great buy. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

cabindoc

Shed movers are usually plentiful.  Looks from pics it can be scooped up sent down the road pretty easily lest it has to go onto toll roads with with width restrictions.  After building my own from a box truck, If I need another one, I'd just buy one.  good luck, let us know if you go for it.
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Thank You Sponsors!