The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: How dry do you dry you 2 x X framing material  (Read 564 times)

Offline forrestM

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
How dry do you dry you 2 x X framing material
« on: July 28, 2021, 05:35:07 PM »
I have a load of 7/4 and 8/4 poplar I will be using for framing material in my nyle l200 m. I am in Virginia and figured 11% would be the lowest I would want to go with framing material. What do you guys typically dry yours to? 

Just to put it out there - I am running it as group 2 with db 120 and wb at 90 since it is already at 16-20 percent moisture. Planing to sterilize at 140 for 48 hours as well. 

Thanks!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: How dry do you dry you 2 x X framing material
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 07:34:59 PM »
Store bought is 19%, we've run in the 12-15% range if it fits in the kiln. Got some 20-26' material air drying, hoping it'll be down around 15 by the time we get to it. Borate the lumber, ppb's love poplar. We hit it green from the saw and I'll spray the frame down again when that stage is complete.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »
If it is 20% moisture and if I was drying it further, I would set the DB at 120 and the WB at 75 and let er rip.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline K-Guy

• Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 08:12:56 AM »

As WDH said you can change your settings. For building materials the moisture content varies across the country generally between 12-19%. It will complete drying once built but most of the shrinkage has already occurred. The important thing is to be below 20% to prevent mold.
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 10:26:08 PM »
Free water is considered to be gone at 20% MC, and with it susceptibility to a range of pests, and (under our rules at least) a piece can also be visually stress graded. And that's about when you want to use it in your house.

You don't want dry framing, dry framing leads to weak buildings. Lumber shrinkage as it dries in place allows it to get a good grip on the nails and/or other fixings and fastenings.  Houses built out of wood dry below EMC for the location) that then has to swell to come up to the environmental conditions actually loosen the friction holding the wood to the fixings and fasteners. And then they blow over in the first hurricane.

I live in the most active hurricane zone on this planet (and probably the surrounding ones as well :D). I know these things to be true.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 07:43:47 AM »
This is the table of adjustment factors for connections used at various moisture contents. Notice that a common nail when driven into green wood that subsequently dries loses 75% of its allowable withdrawal capacity and about a third of its shear capacity.

The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Timber Framing Material

Started by Geoff Miller on Timber Framing/Log construction

16 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 08:52:54 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Pin oak as barn framing material and siding?

Started by HOGFARMER on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 04:43:34 PM
by Larry
xx
Sawing Framing Material for Kiln Build

Started by PA_Walnut on Drying and Processing

13 Replies
Last post January 21, 2018, 05:06:14 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
4/4 / framing / timber framing