iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shrinkage

Started by Crossroads, August 02, 2021, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I ran a bunch of 2x through the edger a few weeks ago and didn't measure any of it to verify that it was coming out at 7 1/4" wide. A couple days ago I was walking by and happened to throw a tape on it. To my surprise it ranges from 7" to 7 1/8". The wood is Doug fir. I'm just now starting to mess around with drying and processing, is a 1/4" of shrinkage to be expected on a 2x8? Next time I set the edger up, I'll definitely be checking what's coming out of it.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

customsawyer

I've never sawed Fir however that much and maybe a little more shrinkage would be in line with SYP. Might be a little quick but this time of year it can happen.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Doug fir shrinks between .0015 (radial) to .0026 (tangential) per inch of width, per percent of moisture reduction.  So for structural use, it will lose around 14%MC  drying from 30% MC to 16% MC.

So a 7.25" wide board will shrink at most 7.25 x (.0015 or .0026) x 16, or between 3/16" to .300" in width as it dries.

So your results sound about right to me.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

bannerd

What about shrinkage end to end or does that not ever happen?

Ianab

Quote from: bannerd on August 02, 2021, 07:24:28 AM
Usually so small that it doesn't matter. 
There is some slight lengthwise shrinkage in wood as it dries, but it's about 100X less than the cross grain, so we tend to ignore it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don P

The exceptions to that are juvenile wood and reaction wood. Those fibers do shrink in length as they dry and are the force at work behind a number of drying warps.

The juvenile wood on the upper face of this board shrinks in length as it dries, bowing the piece. Enough length shrinkage that it sheared 2 deck screws.

Crossroads

Thank you, I'm actually pretty surprised that it would shrink that much. One more lesson from the school of hard knocks in the books. Fortunately I have a project at home that I can use it all up. I believe I'll be spending a lot more time on this section of the forum. Thank you again!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

The shrink sounds right  - but as you said, you don't know what you were actually set up to cut, so hard to say.  I know on my edger there are two brass wear rods that hold the adjustable blade in place for fine adjustment and weekly I need to bump them in ever so slightly due to the brass doing what is was designed to do.  Only takes a minute if that, but if I don't the adjustable blade would fall out of alignment with the the indicator and my output would not be what I thought it was going to be.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bannerd

Quote from: Ianab on August 02, 2021, 07:37:46 AM
Quote from: bannerd on August 02, 2021, 07:24:28 AM
Usually so small that it doesn't matter.
There is some slight lengthwise shrinkage in wood as it dries, but it's about 100X less than the cross grain, so we tend to ignore it.
Good info here, Thanks!

Crossroads

Sounds like I have been putting to much trust in my edger. I plan on swaps the blades out as soon as I get time. That should be an adventure 

Southside

Not really - it's a tool and now and then you need to calibrate and maintain it.  Just like the scale on the mill can get off. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Just round figures but when sawing framing lumber; on 4 & 6" I oversize 1/8", on 8 & 10" I oversize 1/4", and on 12" I oversize 1/2".   The key word is being consist.

Note that there can be a significant difference between sawing fresh felled and 'old' logs.  You can expect more shrinkage plus stress in fresh felled which is why I prefer to saw 'old' bark slipped SYP logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

All good info, thank you! 

YellowHammer

There's enough shrinkage in wood that the Hardwood Market Report (the gold standard for wood prices) has different specs for "green off the mill" and "kiln dried" due to the amount of shrinkage and volume loss. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crossroads

I ran some 1x through the edger today and they were all 1/16th over, so I'm either looking at shrinkage or I done messed up on my edger settings. I guess 2x8's will be getting an extra 1/4 from now on. 

Thank You Sponsors!