iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought a used edger

Started by boonesyard, August 10, 2021, 11:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

Been looking at edgers for some time. Would have liked to have gone new, but the time frame for delivery is way out there with all of them, and what I want and what I can afford have some space between them  :)

Found a used Riehl edger with no engine. I think we made a decent deal on it today, should have it in a week or so. I'll need to put a power plant on it, will have to be gas engine as we don't have 3 phase. 

Looking for some recommendations on an engine. Looking at a few used options, one being a 20hp Honda GX620, said it came out of a small skid steer. I see you can get a new Riehl with a Honda GX630, that engine new sells for about $1,600. Would need an ignition switch, battery and gas tank as well. I see a new Predator 22hp is $900, comes with the switch. Looks like that Honda engine turns 4000 rpm at its max, so I guess that would be the target? Thoughts?

Really looking forward to getting an edger up and running.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Southside

I have a Kohler CH730 on mine - runs awesome.  Only issue I had was a little bit ago when the carb developed some sort of issue. $8 carb rebuild kit solved that - so can't complain.  

Call Darin and ask him for the input speed specs based on the lower driven pulley that is on it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

alan gage

I've had the 22hp Predator on my mill for the last couple years with no issues. Not saying it's the best but it sure was the most convenient when my motor suddenly died. Three hour round trip to Mankato in the morning and back to sawing same day.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

boonesyard

Been reading engine specs till I'm bug eyed. Looks like any of them would work, quit a difference in price between the Predator and the others (Kohler, Honda, Briggs Vanguard). All of the specs read about the same, It'll be interesting to see what the availability is, haven't checked any of them yet. One thing I noticed about the Predator is a lot of reviewers say to replace the pulse fuel pump and spark plugs right away. Decisions, decisions
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Larry

Quote from: boonesyard on August 10, 2021, 11:49:23 AM
we don't have 3 phase.

If you have electricity, this might be the time to go 3 phase generated by a phase converter.  Far cheaper and more reliable than an engine.  If you can source used 3 phase motors and buy a converter kit the up front cost could also be cheaper.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

boonesyard

Quote from: Larry on August 10, 2021, 04:34:21 PM
Quote from: boonesyard on August 10, 2021, 11:49:23 AM
we don't have 3 phase.

If you have electricity, this might be the time to go 3 phase generated by a phase converter.  Far cheaper and more reliable than an engine.  If you can source used 3 phase motors and buy a converter kit the up front cost could also be cheaper.
I'll check on that as well, thanks
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Southside

That Predator is a Chinese knock off, after everything over the past year and still happening that's a factor to consider.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

boonesyard

So,,,, I got home tonight and was bucking logs when had an epiphany. I have a 30 yr old John Deer F935 diesel mower I bought for parts a couple years ago to supplement our good 935. The hydraulic pump is out of the parts mower, but I had the engine running last year. It's a 22hp 3 cylinder liquid cooled Yanmar, they're just about bullet proof, and it's a horizontal shaft ;D. With a little fab time, new filters and some TLC, I think this thing will work very well on that edger. The juices are flowing, I'm jacked!  
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Southside

Umm - I think it will kick butt on that edger!!!  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Sounds like a great combination!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Percy

Quote from: boonesyard on August 10, 2021, 09:19:33 PM

So,,,, I got home tonight and was bucking logs when had an epiphany. I have a 30 yr old John Deer F935 diesel mower I bought for parts a couple years ago to supplement our good 935. The hydraulic pump is out of the parts mower, but I had the engine running last year. It's a 22hp 3 cylinder liquid cooled Yanmar, they're just about bullet proof, and it's a horizontal shaft ;D. With a little fab time, new filters and some TLC, I think this thing will work very well on that edger. The juices are flowing, I'm jacked!  
Excrement!!! Haha spell check is hilarious. Excellent is what I had in mind. That diesel will be great and stingy to operate. 👍👍
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

boonesyard

The edger showed up, yippee. Looks to be in about the condition I was expecting, and hoping. It's an early model from Riehl, but the frame is straight, main saw shaft and bearings are good, feed rollers still have a good edge to the stippling and bearings are good. Gear reduction is in very good condition. The adjustment wheel works, but the adjustment shaft had brass bushings on both ends that are wore out. 

I'm impressed with the simplicity and standardization of this machine. All sizes, nuts, bolts, bearings, bushing are all standard sizes and very available. I gave Darin a call at Riehl and he was extremely helpful, great guy. The infeed bed rollers are wore out and he has the direct replacement or an upgrade with side bearings for new rollers, I ordered 3 upgraded sets. He's also sending me 2 additional bearings (same size 3/4") for the adjustment shaft instead of replacing the brass bushings. 

These are the parts that make up the adjustment fork that captures the sliding collar for the movable blade, obviously wore out, but Darin had them in stock.

Two of the 3 gear reduction pulleys off the main saw shaft for the feed adjustment. They wer busted, had to cut them off, but Darin had these in stock as well, very impressed with the availability of the parts.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

Ooops, hit the post button too soon. 

Busted pulleys

We've got it all apart, now we're wire wheeling all loose paint, and will prep and repaint with POR 15. Still considering motor options, should have it figured out soon. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Southside

Well the older design looks to be exactly the same design as mine.  I believe Darin told me once that his grandfather had first began to produce these.  On the forks, keep some of the brass insert stock on hand, it does wear out as it should and needs to be pushed in from time to time to keep the moveable blade accurate.   Other than regular lubrication and cleaning it out they are pretty maintenance free machines.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

The shift collar parts wear out often on the light duty edgers. Over time the shift hub and mandrel also. It's all part of the game. I have seen men make their own saw shifter using 2 wooden pigs that push against the saw itself. This rig is almost like a circle saw guide that moves on an arm.

boonesyard

Life/work got in the way of this project, but I resurrected the edger rebuild last week. Got parts and pieces painted, the POR 15 is one heck-uv-a product, very impressed. The adjuster shaft is bent and I just can't seem to get it straightened out so that's headed to the machine shop.

Looking a bit different from when it first showed up. 

I decided the 3 cylinder water cooled Yanmar was just too big to fool with right now, the edger has to fit in a fairly limited space. Honda, Briggs and Kohler engines are tough to get ahold of right now, so I decided to try this 18hp Duro Max. It was available and cheap, we'll see how well it works. 

New blades and new adjuster collar on the way from Darin, so they'll go in next week along with mounting the engine. Will also rebuild and paint the outfeed table next week. Sure looking forward to getting an edger in the line-up.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

jpassardi

Looking good. That's going to be a great addition to the fleet. smiley_thumbsup
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

boonesyard

Edger rebuild is basically complete. A couple of ruler stickers an we'll put a pin in it. Engine mounted well, electric start works perfect and sounds good. 

In its new home.

We ran some scrap boards through for the maiden voyage, wow this thing cuts. I can see how this is really going to speed up production. It's sawing at a slight crook so I'll play with the pressure roller tension from one side to the other, I think that's how to tweak it? I've got it set on the slowest feed speed, but even there it's faster than I work. 

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Crossroads

Congratulations on getting it resurrected 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!