iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

East Coast Meet & Greet (Formerly VA Meet & Greet)

Started by VB-Milling, August 10, 2021, 02:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Interest has been gauged, we're moving forward!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=115812.0

October 23, 2021
November 6, 2021
November 13, 2021

All the proposed dates are a Saturday.  Open to all FF members and their families. Kid-friendly.

Venue has yet to be determined, but its either my house in Virginia Beach, VA 23454 or within 5 - 10 miles.

I'm leaning very much towards the November date.  Preference for Nov 13, but Veteran's Day is on Nov 11.  Not sure if that would enable more attendance or less.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

I'm definitely interested. Looks like 350 miles or so from here but sounds like a good excuse to go visit friends over at Windsor VA. Let me know as the dates and venue get firmed up.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

VB-Milling

HM126

Old Greenhorn

Well we just got back from the pig roast late last night. 9 hours drive is a lot less than 12, but I am thinking about it if I can find somebody to ride along.
 What is available in the area for inexpensive lodging? I am thinking a day to drive down, one there, and one back. 2 nights.
 Your thoughts?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

VB-Milling

@Old Greenhorn 

Its primarily a huge resort town.  Inexpensive lodging is plentiful in Virginia Beach or neighboring Norfolk in the off-season.  There is also a KOA and a state park (First Landing State Park) that offer both tent and RV camping.

Looks like 2 nights at the KOA with a 5th wheel would run about $150 total

Virginia Beach, Virginia Campground | Virginia Beach KOA Holiday
HM126

Old Greenhorn

Well, I am not one of those lucky guys with a big fancy rig and if I was, I'm not sure I would drive it that far for a 2 day turn around. I was hoping for a cheap hotel/motel. I checked around, but without a better location its a bit hard to settle in on something just yet. It's a little bit of a long shot for me at this point and if it lands on that first weekend in Nov., I am out because I have a class I have been waiting 4 years to take on that Friday.
 I'll keep an eye on this as it progresses and see how it all shakes out.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

"Inexpensive" is relative I guess when camping is $75 a night! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom King

I think that's when hotels on the beach will have off season rates.

Sorry, looking after a half paralyzed 105 year old, and can't go anywhere longer than a couple of hours total. 

btulloh

There are lot of places to see in the area if someone wants to make a thing of it. Colonial Williamsburg is certainly worth visiting.  Yorktown, boat tours of the naval and ship yards, Oceana NAS, to name just a few.

Yes, even the campgrounds can be a little pricey, but that will be the off-season so that could help and there are some thrifty type motels around as well. Or you can just go with a five-star hotel on the beach. Options!
HM126

btulloh

And that should be striper season, so bring heavy tackle and some warm clothes and check out the Chesapeake Bay. 

FF group fishing trip?   ???   Hmmmm. . . . :)
HM126

WV Sawmiller

I hear the shipyard still has tours on the Minnow and Titanic all of November or at least as long as one or both stay afloat.

Colonial Williamsburg had rows of the biggest catalpa trees I ever saw. They offer various shows with guides in period uniform as I remember. The last time we took 3 gds they were thrilled to ride on the ferry "Pocahontas" both ways.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

The SS Minnow?  With Gilligan? The skipper too?  The professor? And his wife?   :D   Don't know about that.  I think the Minnow was slipped in Marina Del Rey.  

Not sure about now, but before 9/11 the harbor tour boat cruised right by the big navy stuff. Usually an aircraft carrier or two in there.  Those things look huge when cruise almost directly under the fantail on a 100 passenger ferry boat.

Williamsburg is an interesting place. They still run all the original shops like blacksmith, silversmith etc.  The woodworking shop is highly renowned and employs highly skilled craftsmen. And there's lots of places for wives to spend money.  ;D  Lock up the credit cards.  

Most importantly there's a new sawmill operation just getting off the ground called VB-Milling. Well worth a visit!

(Edit) IDK, but trying to make posts from the ipad makes for strange syntax sometimes. Not sure if it's me or autocorrect.  I'm tired of trying to go back and fix things.  Sorry about that.

HM126

Southside

The Professor wasn't married - that was Mr Thurston Howell III.  For sure The Professor had his eye on Ginger though.... :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Patrick NC

We were just in Norfolk this past weekend. Stepson is shipping out for a 3 year tour in Japan next month and we wanted to see the new granddaughter before they go. Went out to eat at some Korean BBQ place in VA Beach. I can't remember the name but it's pretty good. Its about a 6 hour drive for us, so we're interested. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

btulloh

Quote from: Southside on August 10, 2021, 08:53:21 PM
The Professor wasn't married - that was Mr Thurston Howell III.  For sure The Professor had his eye on Ginger though.... :D
Oh, right you are SS. I guess I didn't watch enough tv.  :D  Or maybe my memory fades a bit after fifty years.
Personally I'd go for Maryanne more than Ginger.  Good to have choices though.

You were just a wee lad when that show was on.?  Re-runs?

(Ran 1964-66.    https://youtu.be/NMDRnpZxd3o )
HM126

Tacotodd

I'm a MaryAnne fan myself  ;D but hey, what do I know :D
Trying harder everyday.

WV Sawmiller

I'd suggest Ginger as the best pick since all of the others are dead. ::) Dawn Wells (Mary Anne) died last year. Bob Denver lived in Princeton or Bluefield WV, about 30 miles from me, till he died. He used to show up at local events from time to time. Mostly he made the news getting into trouble by sending whacky weed back and forth to/from Dawn Wells.

Smithfield is not too far away and I guess you could go visit the hog packing plant if they allow visitors. Maybe you get a free pack of sausage at the end of the tour. :D

The last time I tried deep sea fishing was around the NC/SC border. We fished half a day I think and half the students we took got seasick. At the end of the trip I gave my squid/bait back to the captain as I could not even get the crabs to eat it off. All my saltwater fishing was spearfishing I could see if there was a fish around  or not and adjust accordingly. I did lots at night and it was like gigging frogs. Blind them with a light, put the spear within 6" and shoot through the eye. Mostly at night I used a compressed air spear pistol with a 12" pot metal spear. I shot a 50 lb wrasse in a cave one night which was another dumb move. He broke the spear on the side of the coral cave. We finally got him out but I do not recommend it to others.
Howard Green

Crusarius

btulloh

Howard, that's a lot of good detail about the cast. You, as always, are a wealth of information. 

I think I'm gonna go with the 1965 Maryanne. (And Barbara Eden.). Somehow I can't quite work up any steam over the geriatric versions.  :D

Sorry for the thread-wander VB. That rarely happens here on the FF.  But WV started it! :-\  I can't take all the blame . . .
HM126

Magicman

Quote from: Tacotodd on August 10, 2021, 09:19:53 PMI'm a MaryAnne fan myself
Sadly, Dawn Wells (82) died of Covid in December, 2020.  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Not to worry, Howard. We'd be in the bay and not the ocean. Skinny water, just long and wide. Nobody ever got seasick in the bay. Or, well, maybe . . . I think if someone is susceptible, they could seasick in a bathtub. Never experienced it myself, but seasickness doesn't look like fun. 
HM126

Southside

Quote from: btulloh on August 10, 2021, 09:04:27 PMYou were just a wee lad when that show was on.?  Re-runs? (Ran 1964-66

Definitely re-runs.  Sitting down for supper, old B+W TV in the kitchen.  I wasn't even a blip on the radar when it first came out.  You using that "common core" math or something there? :D  Ginger would have been way too high maintenance for me.   
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

:D :D  Yeah, I converted to common-core so I could fit in today's      world.

I hadn't looked up the dates when I made that comment.  You were pre-wee. Guess I can't get anything by the FF members. No new math around the forum. People on here can do their math or they couldn't handle sawing, logging, etc.  
HM126

gspren

Put me down as a maybe, depends on our move and sale of the farm. I was stationed in Norfolk in 72-73 on the USS Vulcan AR5 repair ship. It looks like Virginia Beach is a 3 hour drive from our Delaware house. I dated a Mary Ann, but not that one!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

VB-Milling

Back on track after the Gilligan's Island detour  :D

Between the original thread, and this thread, I have the following as tentative/interested:

Wudman
btulloh
Crusarius
Southside
nativewolf
Solomon
Poquo
WV Sawmiller
Old Greenhorn
Patrick NC
gspren

Anyone want to provide feedback on the three proposed dates or the venue, otherwise I'll select one of the dates in November and go with my house as the venue.  Issue with my place is that if the event is well attended (say 25+), it'll be tight.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!