iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Storage in Shop

Started by metalspinner, August 13, 2021, 12:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

I'm starting with a clean slate! 
I have several different "categories " of wood that needs to be stored in the woodworking shop... 
Slabs, Long boards, shorts, chunks, thin short stock, and bits and pieces. 😂
I've made racks for long stock out of 2x material before. But that is bulky and takes up storage space from my lumber.  I'm thinking of going with steel. Alotted space in the new shop is 12' long for lumber. 

Anyone have a good source for a cantilevered style rack? New or used?

I've seen the stuff offered through woodworking retailers, and I don't think those will hold the volume I need. 

For the super shorts (~2') I started to use these hampers. They work great, but can get heavy if I need to lift them more than about 4 feet. I'm considering a steel shelf like this...

For smaller thin stuff, I like these fruit trays. I grab some when we go to the store. 

Maybe I'll build a plywood, cubby style rack for these trays?

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Uline has them, 24" and 48" arms, 650 -1000 lbs are capacity. Up to 10' long between arms. But you're talking big bucks. Shipped motor freight. You asked. :D

I'd probably go with the wall strap kind myself. See them at Lee Valley. You're not stacking steel rod and pipes. :D The wall kind is 7 gauge (3/16") . The wall straps should be within 2-3' apart and can hold several hundred lbs depending on config. Be sure where ever you get them they can hold some weight, I trust Lee Valley.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/storage-and-organization/systems/32145-lumber-storage-system

Made in Canada.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

Swamp donkey,
I was just looking at Uline. $1000 gets a cantilevered rack with 3' arms x 8' tall. The steel alone is worth $400. So that price really isn't so bad. Need to look at shipping. 

I don't think my pole building should have that much weight hanging on the walls. That's another reason I'm thinking free standing cantilevered steel rack. 

SwampDonkey

I was looking at the 2 sided ones, arms right and left. ;D

Go for it! :)

They'll be well made for sure. Not junk.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I see those offered on Craigslist  often mostly coming out of gone under warehouses. 
Might be worth watching.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

metalspinner

Raider bill,
I am addicted to Craigslist. 😂
I do check it everyday. A few weeks ago, I just missed out on a Fastenal store closing. They were selling all their shelving. Just missed the sale by 20 minutes!

terrifictimbersllc

I have a rack that holds 10 foot long lumber which I got out of  Fine Woodworking more than 30 years ago.  It is open on all 3 sides and holds a tremendous amount of lumber, you can fill it clear full.  it works when you have ceiling joists running away from the wall to which it appears to be mounted. Mine is a basement shop and the joists are first floor joists at the house foundation level.

The rack consists of four 6 x 6 posts each of which is made out of three 2x6s, where the middle of these three 2x6s is segmented to create mortise like slots for three protruding spars, and at the top center is left a slot that slips around a ceiling joist. Four of these are spaced side-by-side on 32 inch centers to make my rack. These posts with the spars are not fixed to the wall behind them, they are simply held vertical by blocks screwed into the ceiling joists which keep them from tipping forward. The blocks are long strips of two three-quarter inch pieces of plywood that are lagged into the ceiling joists.

The spars  coming out of each of these four posts  are 1-5/8 inch thick red oak 8 inches tall at the back end  and 3 inches tall at the front end. They are pushed into the 8" x 1-5/8 " x 5 1/2 inch deep mortise-like slots in the posts. They are lined up so they make three almost 4 foot deep shelves the lowermost of which is about 30"above the floor.

I tried to take some pictures but they didn't really show anything because it's full of wood.

This rack has all the advantages of a cantilevered sawmill head with respect to lumber handling. :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

metalspinner

Terrifictimbersllc
I built that same rack in my basement shop! And a picture would be worthless because all you see is a wall of wood (and junk). But here it is, anyway. 😝 I used framing lumber for mine, though. 

The new pole barn doesn't have any ceiling joists to tie this into. 

Raider Bill

Quote from: metalspinner on August 13, 2021, 04:34:24 PM
Raider bill,
I am addicted to Craigslist. 😂
I do check it everyday. A few weeks ago, I just missed out on a Fastenal store closing. They were selling all their shelving. Just missed the sale by 20 minutes!
There was some here that looked like it came from the orange store on cl. Last week.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

metalspinner

That's kind of the problem I'm finding is these racks are either mega huge like from the big box store, or smaller like from the woodworking catalogues. 
I am leaning towards the Uline rack. Need to call for a shipping quote to get an all-in cost. 
But I'll keep looking, too. 

Ljohnsaw

Are you looking for free standing (load from both sides) or wall mounted?  I remember in our wood shop in high school there was something like a 4x4 lagged to the wall and then 3/4 or 1" pipe stuck in holes.  You could put lots of holes (every 6" or so?) and could configure spacing on the fly.  For both sides, I'd make a table like with 4 or 6 4x4 legs with the pipes running cross wise.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: metalspinner on August 13, 2021, 05:46:55 PM
Terrifictimbersllc
I built that same rack in my basement shop! And a picture would be worthless because all you see is a wall of wood (and junk). But here it is, anyway. 😝 I used framing lumber for mine, though.

The new pole barn doesn't have any ceiling joists to tie this into.
Hey that looks like my picture too embarrassed to post!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

farmfromkansas

I used to have my lumber stacked in shelves like that, had to take it all out to find the right board.  Then I decided to go vertical, and just drilled 1" holes in a 2x4, cut some 3/4" pipe and put the end in the hole, drilled about a 1/8" hole through board and pipe, and put a screw through it so the pipe can not fall out.  Then screwed the 2x4 to the wall about 6' or 7' off the floor.  Also did some about 3' for shorter boards.  Then I can look at the boards like books at a library.  You can get rubber chair feet at lumber yards that fit the pipe and you don't run into a sharp edged pipe.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WV Sawmiller

I'm thinking there is likely some closed down businesses/retail stores and such in your area with plenty of leftover shelving that can be had very reasonably if you talk to the right people. 

On principle I'd suggest making wooden crates to store your stock in instead of using clothes hampers but that's just me. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

I've done all manner of cantilevered shelves.  I think my first experience was when I bought all the shelving in a medium size grocery.  Most were two sided but it was easy to make them one sided to fit next to a wall.  We used about a fourth of it in a consignment craft shop.  Sold the rest of it a few pieces at a time and made quite a bit over my cost.

This one was a prototype for an upscale pottery shop.  The design didn't work in the shop plus I was too expensive.  Built something else for the customer.

When Eureka Springs School of the Arts built their new woodworking shop some of us volunteers built cantilevered shelves to hold lumber.  The design was something Doug Stowe came up with and worked well.  About the same as I have pictured but the parts were all heavier.

At one time I had a herd of shipping containers and needed cheap shelving in them.  I drilled holes in a 2 X 4 and used 3/4" emt for the arms.  Space the uprights to accommodate the load.  If the arms are no longer than 18" or so they will hold a surprising amount of stuff.....
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Downstream

Here are a few of my storage units made out of metal and wood.  The wood one is used to store slabs and lumber vertical.  The metal ones are actually modular units that I developed for a company years ago.  They have a-frame uprights for horizontal storage, slanted back side for sheet storage and then heavy duty adjustable attachments for front side storage.  The attachments included shelves, pegboard, clamp racks, storage bins.  They were rated to hold 2000lbs and both the metal and woods ones are on wheels so I could move them around shop and access all sides.  They work great.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

thecfarm

Going to put a top on that treadle sewing machine?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Downstream

Just did about 3 weeks ago.  Walnut live edge with matching pull out serving tray/shelf.  Wine racks under the outer table.  Market is going soft because I can hardly give it away on marketplace.  

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

I'm not positive I understand your needs, beyond a place to put wood, but I'll second the warehouse shelving. I designed and built about 50000 sq. ft. of warehouse space, several years back, and while we spend a LOT on new racking you can find used racking and even new at low volumes for reasonable money. 1000 bucks, as mentioned above, can get you a lot. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WDH

MS, go to Yellowhammers website and look at the racks in the pics.  I use the very same U-line metal racks.  Well worth the $. 

https://www.hobbyhardwoodalabama.com/
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Downstream

I also use the modular steel racks you can buy at menards along the outer walls of my shop.  Due to the weight and geometry I secure each end to the wall studs for safety if they get top heavy.  I also put short pieces in 18gal Rubbermaid totes that also fit on those shelves too.

Crusarius

Quote from: Downstream on August 15, 2021, 01:23:57 AM
Here are a few of my storage units made out of metal and wood.  The wood one is used to store slabs and lumber vertical.  The metal ones are actually modular units that I developed for a company years ago.  They have a-frame uprights for horizontal storage, slanted back side for sheet storage and then heavy duty adjustable attachments for front side storage.  The attachments included shelves, pegboard, clamp racks, storage bins.  They were rated to hold 2000lbs and both the metal and woods ones are on wheels so I could move them around shop and access all sides.  They work great.

That steel rack is great!!! I have some store shelving here I could duplicate that pretty easily. Thanks for the great idea.

flatrock58

I have a couple of 12' tall pallet racks side by side to store long boards.  My problem is I keep a lot of short cutoffs.  

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

metalspinner

I finally found a deal on some shelves. This was a Craigslist find. These units were sold as 4' x 8' x 16'. Buy two and get free freight.
I only have space for 1 unit, but it's nice to have some extra shelves just in case.

Black looks nicer, IMO.

With this configuration, I can slide 8' stuff in from the ends and short stuff in from the sides.
These strawberry flats make great project boxes....

And the hampers manage the super shorts I just couldn't bare to throw out.

I will store vertical lumber in the space in between the shelves. Just need to make some pipe dividers to bolt to the wall.

Thank You Sponsors!