iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wiring Questions (fuel and remote control box)

Started by T4R11, February 25, 2022, 05:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T4R11

I recently replaced an electric fuel pump that the prior owner had installed on an Onan P224G. He had installed the electric pump in place of a pulse pump which hadn't been plugged (plugged now). In the process of checking the wires on the electric pump I noticed it was wired on the (A) accessory pin on the ignition switch. The wiring diagram shows the pin to be hot on the "running" position but not the "starter" position. To explain further, if I turn the key once (position 2) the pump activates but I think it is cutting out when I move to position 3 - starter. I also wonder whether the accessory plug will only stay on so long before it shuts off...although the wiring diagram may suggest it will stay hot while in the run position. I have had some challenges getting the engine running and wonder if this could be an issue. 

Should the fuel pump be wired another way? Could it be moved to the positive post of the coil? Another pin on the ignition switch? If left on the accessory pin and assuming it is not pumping on "start" is that momentary (crank duration) enough to cause problems?

Also, another potential wiring issue I have noted...my mill is a Timber Harvester with a remote box. There is a "power wire" coming from the box to the ignition coil. It terminates on the negative side of the coil. I would think it should be on the positive side - any insights on this one? Note: there is a separate grounding wire coming out of the remote box.

Thanks for any insights

Wlmedley

Ran into a similar problem once on a paving machine.It would only start with ether.It was a diesel with electric solenoid on fuel pump which powered up when key was turned on but lost power when cranking.Once running on ether key was backed off to run position ,solenoid opened and engine would run.Took awhile to figure out what was going on.I would move wire to run position on switch.Good luck.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Thank You Sponsors!