Mill is assembled, in doors but hasn't run since father
passing 5 years ago

Don't see much on #2,  what is the difference 
from a #1
Just for my use, don't want to be in the business 
Any/all information appreciated 

Thankyou

moodnacreek

That's my kind of question but I don't know and always wondered the same thing.  I have seen a few No. 2's and I know they where still made in the '50's. Big old cast iron husk but so where most No. 1's.  Hanging on the wall here are a few No. 2 parts so I will compare them to my No. 1.  I think the set shaft and pinons are larger on the 2. Have to go check.  How does the big Cat run the l/h mill?  Lefties run backwards. Detroit buss engines where one answer to this problem and of course tractor pto's.

DangleSnipe267

Hi 230Dforme,

For reference I operate a 1988 Chase Circular Sawmill.

Typically speaking, when it comes to the older Lane or Chase circular sawmills (both are very similar in construct and parts are typically interchangeable), two or three different models were made. The #1 model is usually the most lightweight / light duty version of the mill and as the model number increases, the more heavy duty the mill will be (thicker steel, more robust parts, etc.). As moodnacreek has pointed out, A left hand mill runs backwards of typical operation (aka, the log will be loaded to the left of the sawyer and run through the saw from left to right). In my experience, the screw dog is much larger at the very least and parts from a #1 do not necessarily fit a #2 (but might with modification). Happy to answer any other questions to the best of my ability.

-Tim

230Dforme

Good evening, thankyou for your replies 
Was there today, looks like it was properly set up at one time
Concrete foundation under husk etc 
Looks in rough shape now, would take
some doing
Definitely a #2 
Power is Cat 13000, made offer on that
Connected to a jack shaft, and then belts, which somewhere along the line
made the left hand work 
I can be of help if anyone interested 
Warrensburg NY area
Family wants to sell

I was a contractor and do tree work now 
I just want a circle mill for recreation 😁
Band mill no fun
Babe in the woods

Thankyou 

moodnacreek

So this much I know; The No. 2 mill has a 2" set shaft, the No. 1 a 1 15/16" and the tractor mill, 030. O and green mt. a 1 7/16". I have never seen a  No. 2 1/2 model lane sawmill but they exist in this country. Also the No. 2 has much bigger set pinons with 12 teeth but the rachet wheels are the same dia. as the No. 1.   Lane's where made from 1857 to about 2003. There where several other sawmills made in New England and I believe H.M.C. is the last one. Chase was done in 1988 to the best of my knowledge  and Amidon before that. The setworks that Dennis Lane invented was the big deal and in all those years [on a manual mill ] it was never changed. The sawyers favorite was a big thing also but they got as expensive to make as hydraulic dogs. It was like fine double barrel shotguns: too expensive to make in the USA.

moodnacreek

It's too bad for the owner because these old mills have no value today. Many times they get junked, even the early automatics. The one I just bought was for sale for 2 years.

Ventryjr

-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

230Dforme

Mill needs too much work for me
Haven't heard back on D13000

moodnacreek

The 13000 may be worth too much for junk.   They sure are fun to start in the morning. You could almost run one 1 to 1 on a sawmill if you didn't need all the power. They only go 1000 rpm.

Ventryjr

203dforme sent you a message regarding the mill 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Al_Smith

At one time in my teenaged years you'd see stationary circle mills abandoned in barn yards, near woods, in a fence row .They just rusted away and went the way of the passenger pigeon or the giant dairy barns .They might be the frame of a Peterbuilt truck or the bumper on a Toyota by now .Steel for all intents never goes away. It starts out as ore which is iron oxide and eventually turns back into rust .From swords to plow shares to battle ships and even cans for Campbells soup . 

Thank You Sponsors!