The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Logmaster edger blade source?  (Read 950 times)

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Re: Logmaster edger blade source?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 07:53:18 AM »
Yeah, right and tight is what we are shooting for. He runs a lot of dimensional lumber and for now mostly softwoods until this version of the shop extension is done. But he is also slowly building up a woodshop (that I think he has designs on me running for him) now that he bought another 60 acres that came with a steel building. He is picking up a 120KW 3 phase generator today or tomorrow that 'just needs some engine work'. :D SO eventually this edger will go under a 'yet to be built' shed roof extension on that steel building about 150' from the sawmill.
 When he got his first LT40 about 8 years ago, he went crazy milling up logs and stocking lumber, mostly 2x4, 6, 8, 10, 12" by up to 20' long, but he couldn't market it all and eventually the covers went away and the wood degraded. I built my first shop loft with some of that lumber. Now he has the new LT 50 and is milling to order only (when he can get a sawyer). Once the wood shop is begun, he wants to move the slabmizer in there and the planer and get bigger finishing equipment. He is 37 and has a long way to go but he seems to be getting there with a profit. I think he has adopted me as a 'smart old man that hangs out here and sets me straight when I need it.' But he hasn't said that out loud yet. ;D I don't mind, I am having fun playing with his equipment and fixing stuff the right way.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »
@YellowHammer , do you have a contact name at Sharp? The fella that did the design work? Also, that pricing is a no- brainer, not bad at all.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline APope

• I love BBQ'd Spam
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »
You might find that manual online at the Wayback Machine.
Wayback Machine
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2021, 08:19:27 PM »
Sharp Tool,
(978) 568-9292
7 Bonazzoli Ave Hudson, MA 0174
United States

I can't find his name anymore, but this is the number I have for them, and I think it went straight to the design guy.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 07:51:49 AM »
Well I called Sharp yesterday morning and gave him all the dimensions except two I missed. He said he didn't need those to work up the drawing and quote and would have something for me in a few hours but I never heard back. I also called Log Master and got a return call late in the day from I think, Kevin? He is over 80 now and I enquired about spare parts. He laughed and said 'we designed and built that so that it is cheaper and fast to either makes the parts yourself or get them made locally, we never stocked any parts. If you called and wanted a part while we were in full operation, we would just make it and send it'. He suggested I take out the worn parts and make new ones ourselves, which is fine, but we thought if he still had stock we might buy up parts for spares to have on hand. We also found the manual in a pile of other forgotten manuals, it wasn't worth the search time except it did have the full engine book with it. There is no IPL in any way, the information on setting up and running the machine is extremely basic with little or no detail. No drawings at all. Nice fella though and gave me his home number for after hours calls. Said I should call if I had any questions on operation or anything.
 I just called Chris at sharp back, but he isn't in yet (before 8am). Hoping to get blades ordered today. Then I will go back down and try to get that floating blade dog out and get some measurements and see about getting a couple made up. It should be wearing out regularly with usage. Would like to make it out of bunting bronze instead of brass. The saga continues..... :)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 11:01:24 AM »
OGH, another great thread of yours I just found!  How about some pictures of the beast?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »
Well I don't know about 'great'. I was just asking for help and got it! Smartest bunch of people in the world on this Forum.
 I don't have many photos except for hysterical reference, such as above. But here is a short video I shot last Friday when a guy needed a specific size board for a barn repair. Pay attention, it's pretty short:

When we get it running well and start feeding it boards, I will get something better. Or as soon as I hit another stumble point. ;D

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 05:26:38 PM »
Well, I heard back from Chris at Sharp: $125./blade for 2 pcs. Not bad at all. But the delivery is 15-16 weeks...UGH.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2021, 07:29:00 PM »
That edger looks pretty nice. 4 months for a blade? wow, I had mine much quicker.  I guess thats the way things are these days. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2021, 08:51:52 PM »
Unfortunately yes. I didn't even flinch because I know they are having trouble getting the specialty steels, everybody is. There is no point in whining or beating him up over it. That's why he hadn't given me the quote yesterday and when I called him this morning he said he needed to give his steel supplier a kick to get that info. I talked to my buddy this morning and he will drop off his billing data in the morning for me to get the order placed. We will then see about doing a work around to at least get one of those blades rebuilt to get things moving. Life goes on, we have work to do. I know this machine will do a great job when we get it right, or even nearly so.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Logmaster LM2, ZL16F Wheel loader, and Miners edger

Started by Grizzly on For Sale

26 Replies
Last post September 15, 2021, 10:41:30 PM
by Grizzly
xx
Blade Tension on LogMaster LM1

Started by BlueSalt on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 08:28:38 AM
by Solomon