iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Online kiln drying classes

Started by Mhaaland, September 15, 2021, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhaaland

Does anyone know of any online kiln drying classes?  I've heard the state of Minnesota does one but I can't find it.
I came across this one from Oregon State University but it's from 2019.  I did send an email to see if it was still available.

https://pace.oregonstate.edu/catalog/lumber-drying-online-workshop-0

cabindoc

Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

doc henderson

NHLA has recorded webinars by @GeneWengert-WoodDoc and a few others.  they have some lunch question and answers sessions coming up in October.  you have to register and the glitch was you have to leave out spaces in your name, like a email address even though it is just your name.  you do not have to pay anything.  there are all the basics there.  I recommend those prior to the lunch question and answer ones later.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There are annual 3 to 5 day classes in Wisconsin, in NC and in NY.  Plus the NHLA in Memphis has offered a class once a year again.  Also, PA has had a class.

Sometimes when you have three people that need training, it is cheaper to hire a qualified instructor to come to your operation.  This is really good as everything is specific to your equipment and species, and all employees attending get essentially personalized training. It is expensive and maybe another nearby company can go i with you.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

cabindoc

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on September 16, 2021, 10:11:44 PM
There are annual 3 to 5 day classes in Wisconsin, in NC and in NY.  Plus the NHLA in Memphis has offered a class once a year again.  Also, PA has had a class.

Sometimes when you have three people that need training, it is cheaper to hire a qualified instructor to come to your operation.  This is really good as everything is specific to your equipment and species, and all employees attending get essentially personalized training. It is expensive and maybe another nearby company can go i with you.
@GeneWengert-WoodDoc, would a person attending one of these courses get some education on drying softwoods?  or is this coursework strictly geared towards Hardwoods?    Sorry to the OP for hijacking, but I think it's a relative question.  
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

cabindoc

I posted this in a GTG post, but it's relative here.  VT does classes on Kiln drying and solar kilns.  They did a course in 2019 and I asked about any classes coming up and he said in the spring they may be doing one either virtual/online or in person at the VT site in Richmond, VA.  I know your not close to that, but if it is online?  I have attached the link to the website. 

Online Learning Options | Virginia Forest Landowner Education Program | Virginia Tech (vt.edu)

The VT site is vast.  There may be a better link that is more direct to this course, but since there is no course on there, I'm not exactly sure where they will place it.
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I usually include info on drying eastern white pine in my courses.  Drying syp construction lumber is seldom covered in public classes, except for the SPIB class.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Crossroads

I see that North Idaho college is doing an online class in October. Unfortunately the schedule isn't going to work for me. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

K-Guy

NELMA runs a class in the spring but not online
Facebook link
Update Your Browser | Facebook
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

wesdor

Cabindoc and others: 

My experience today.  I looked at the VT website using Safari on Mac.  No sound with the presentations.  Switched to Google Chrome and audio started about a minute into the course.  

Not sure if this is a computer problem or just the way it is.  I also wish you could skip ahead and back in the presentation.  

However, some good information and the price is right.

Thanks for sharing.

Dewy

I sent an email to the VT contact about classes this morning. Will report back once I get a response.

MIsawyer

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The free NHLA recordings of the Webinars about drying and the book DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER should allow someone to learn how to run a kiln.  A classroom event can be more expensive, but does allow questions and answers.  Another option after a Webinar and book learning is to hire a consultant to give a one day review, demo, and discussion.

Thank You Sponsors!