iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with this walnut?

Started by D6c, September 21, 2021, 04:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

My dad sawed some old growth walnut 25-30 years ago, stacked it in an old hog shed, and it's been sitting there until today when I dug it out to see what I've got.  Looks like about 375 board feet.
Most is nearly clear 12" wide x 10' long.  Unfortunately it was sawed a little on the thin side, most being around 1" or a little under.  I'm guessing that's because the scale that came on the old LT40 has the 4/4 lines 1 1/16" apart.  Probably fine for softwood but hardly enough for hardwoods.

I spot checked moisture on the stacks and most are around 12% with the bottom 1 or 2 more like 15%.

My question is what should I do with it?  Would there likely be some degrade of the wood from being stored for so long?
I can resticker it on a pallet and run it through the kiln to get the moisture down but I'm not sure if I'm better of selling it as rough cut or planing it, with the risk that it will end up pretty thin.
If I were more of a woodworker I'd be thinking up something to build.
I do need a storage bench / coat hanger built into the alcove in my back porch but I don't know if I'm up to the task or not.

beenthere

Market it "as is" stressing the widths and lengths, but stating 1" thickness. Air dried for 25 years. Age hasn't hurt it at all. 
Most users will cut it up into smaller sizes, and likely get 3/4" planed thickness. 

My thought.. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

12-15% is what you would expect for "air dried" wood, and being stored like that wont harm it. Bugs generally don't attack it either, so like Beenthere says, the wood should be fine. 

Simplest way would be to sell it as a bulk lot of air dried walnut. Sorting, kiln drying and grading it would get you more $$, but at the expense of more time / work. I suspect you would get good money for the stack as it sits as some folks prefer working with air dried Walnut. Just describe it accurately and put a sensible price on it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

metalspinner

I prefer air dried walnut. Lots more color variation. 

If you need projects, can you hire a guy to make you something special from your dad's wood if you think you're not up for it?

The way it was stacked and stickered can make a big difference in how it planes out. If the lumber has bends in it from misaligned stickers, then you probably won't get too much  yield... seeing as it's already in the thin side. 

I see lots of Craigslist adds with poorly stacked and sticker lumber. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Southside

@Poquo bought a whack of walnut just like that from a neighbor of mine.  I can't remember if he had me finish it in the kiln or not.  Priced right I am sure a guy building his own project can either get it S4S and be just a tad thin, or forget about the back side and get it to 3/4" and never know the difference.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I got a whack of walnut from a neighbor down the street,  he later died.  it had been in a backyard shed, you know the sears kind with sliding doors and aprox. 8 x 10 feet.  it had been in there for 30 years and who know how long stored elsewhere before that.  It was dry as a bone, and some of the most beautiful colors, even atypical for walnut.  I made a cabinet out of some and a board that sits on the burners of our stove so it can be uses as a surface.  as least plane one and see,  you can always make or have made a keeps sake.  we have done that for some of my neighbors kids, and they did not know it was coming.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

D6c

I may have to look into getting the porch bench storage built.  I have an order friend that's a talented woodworker with an artistic talent.  I'm amazed at what he can build from a notepad sketch with no dimensions.

WDH

Quote from: D6c on September 21, 2021, 04:06:06 PMMost is nearly clear 12" wide x 10' long.  Unfortunately it was sawed a little on the thin side, most being around 1" or a little under. 

I can resticker it on a pallet and run it through the kiln to get the moisture down but I'm not sure if I'm better of selling it as rough cut or planing it, with the risk that it will end up pretty thin.
This struck a nerve  :).  
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=92471.0
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

When I'm starting a woodworking project, I crosscut rough lumber to rough length first. This lets me handle shorter boards and cull around defects in the lumber. So IF a board is on the thin side, I might still be able to get out of it what I want. 

But for those of you that sell lumber, you need to assume the full board will get processed as one piece. 

I also rarely plane to 3/4. I like the look of thicker pieces and panels. Once all of my parts are planed uniform, I stop planing. But that means adjusting and working through the plans as I go. 
Who decided furniture boards need to be 3/4" anyway?  I like 7/8" or even 15/16". 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Quote from: metalspinner on September 22, 2021, 01:28:52 PMI also rarely plane to 3/4. I like the look of thicker pieces and panels.

Who decided furniture boards need to be 3/4" anyway?  I like 7/8" or even 15/16".
Say it again, brother!!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!