iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying stickers advice

Started by albertson.bill, September 21, 2021, 01:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albertson.bill

Hello! Looking for some advice on best stickers to use for drying. Currently I've been purchasing heat treated pine furring strips that are about 3/4. These are already dried and hoping they won't leave any stains on the wood. Anyone have experience using these? 

scsmith42

I have a mix of stickers designated for kiln drying and some are 3/4" KD pine.  They work fine; I've had no problems with sticker stain with them.

Most of my KD stickers are oak and measure 3/4" thick and 1-1/4" wide.  

Air drying stickers are usually 1" pine or oak; whatever edgings come off of the edger.  We use these for farm wood or "give-a-way" stickers.  I try not to give away my 3/4" KD stickers due to the costs associated with  making them.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Stephen1

I would think you will have no problems with those. I reccomend them to my portable sawmill customers to purchase for when I come saw thier hardwood. For pine I make pine stickers off of the edging.
I buy bulk 7/8 x 1 1/4 Breezewood flute stickers for all my kiln drying .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

burdman_22

I'd suggest trying to find a cabinet maker or someone that has a bunch of stuff to get rid of. I get all of my stickers from a local cabinet making business. Everything is kiln dried, planed to 0.88 inches. They give me a "bundle" of their offcuts, and after picking through and sawing everything down I end up with a few hundred four ft long stickers. Basically free minus the time taken to transport and cut them to size.

Thank You Sponsors!