iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying vertically

Started by otherguy, November 03, 2021, 02:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otherguy

Has anyone tried drying wood like this?

otherguy

Wow, can't believe no one has tried it, guess I'll see how it goes.

barbender

I think I've seen guys post about how this was done down south with pine, but just for initial drying to keep it from molding in stickered stacks during high humidity. I don't think anything is long term dried like that, but I could be wrong.
Too many irons in the fire

Crusarius

I would expect smiley boards but I am very curious to know how it works out.

YellowHammer

I agree, I wouldn't expect perfectly flat boards, I would expect some twist and bow when stacking completely unconstrained.  I wouldn't want the ends touching the ground either, inviting termites and such.

I'me sure the boards would dry, but they wouldn't dry "flat."  For rough or construction wood, I'm sure it would work.  

For "flat" I mean I try to get less than 1/8" bow per 8' and 1/16" or less of cup.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

This is the way framing lumber was stacked for drying here until at least the mid 50's and I watched my granddad rotate the lumber many times.  He would flip it end over end and also rotate any boards that he thought needed it.  All of the smaller sawmills had rows and rows of their lumber stacked as shown.  I do not recall ever seeing flat stacks of stickered lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I saw it stacked like that in Okinawa Japan and several places in Central and southern Africa. I don't think it will dry anywhere near as flat as what we are used to seeing or would accept in the USA.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!