iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BF pricing on live edge.........

Started by Yoder409, May 20, 2022, 10:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

I have not a clue where to start.  

I've got a few 8 footers of nice, clear 12/4 cherry I had sawed live edge.  The boards run from 12-18 inches wide.  It's air drying 1 year. 

From all the looking and GoogleFu that I can do........prices are all over the place.  And very few, if any, places have 12/4 to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

Any help or advice on what a fair "per BF" price would be ??  They are not planed or sanded.

Thanks for any start in the right direction. 
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Nebraska

3.25 per bf for rustic mill run 4/4 
5.25 for some 8/4 
8.00/  bf FAS 4/4 premo stuff.  Since it's nice and clear I'd tend that direction. That is what the local market is across the river from me.

moodnacreek

On nice 2" wide  live edge, dried 2 years + I price them by looking and experience not board foot. Example; 2x18, never edged , flat and measured inside end splits, walnut $300. Same board in cherry, $150. Cherry is not in style now like walnut is.

kantuckid

Slab size and weight dictate much as to your location for sales. In my area you'd starve to death before you'd sell natural edge slabs to people who mostly have no funds for such things. Gasoline trumps pocketbooks here along with food, and such.
Plus there's wood everywhere here already, short version is- you need to be near an affluent urban area then pricing becomes a reality and how nice/unique the slabs are becomes the definer beyond simple BF prices for the species. FB Marketplace is where to look. 
BTW, PA is where the early slab guru, George Nakashima lived, maybe his daughter still does slab work?  Thats the first I knew of slabs before the current fetish.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Yoder409

Good info, fellers !!!   Thank you !!!

I think I'm close enough to several population bases that I should be able to find some interest.  I had the wood sawn 12/4 thinking along the line of bars or mantles.  AND that i generally don't see anyone else advertising much other than 4, 5 and 8/4.

I just had no clue as to pricing on live edge......nowhere to start.  I guess I could always start on the fat side and give someone a deal.  I do have room to move on it.  The tree was a power line R.O.W. cull that I sectioned and took to a band mill.  I just have a bit of time and sweat and a little bit of sawing cost in it.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

moodnacreek

Quote from: kantuckid on May 21, 2022, 10:16:18 AM
Slab size and weight dictate much as to your location for sales. In my area you'd starve to death before you'd sell natural edge slabs to people who mostly have no funds for such things. Gasoline trumps pocketbooks here along with food, and such.
Plus there's wood everywhere here already, short version is- you need to be near an affluent urban area then pricing becomes a reality and how nice/unique the slabs are becomes the definer beyond simple BF prices for the species. FB Marketplace is where to look.
BTW, PA is where the early slab guru, George Nakashima lived, maybe his daughter still does slab work?  Thats the first I knew of slabs before the current fetish.
Not all that long ago when people asked for slabs I pointed to the slab pile and said take what you want. Wood workers would get mad if you left wane on. The proper name is round edge or wane edge. It's all city people around me now and money talks. Actually i came to the 'slab' party late.

Thank You Sponsors!