iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

It occurred to me today that the Forestry section had a "Watcha cutting?" thread and the sawmill section has a "Watcha' sawing?" thread but over hear there is no "Watcha making?" thread. 
 I figured a thread for those 1 or 2 day projects that are not needing of an extended thread for all to follow the project's progress. Something for those shorter one-off builds. Shop gizmos, quick customer's requests or stock items. Maybe it won't go anywhere or maybe it will. It just seemed equitable to have something for the builders and makers in this forum.
 As it happens, I really don't have anything to kick this off. But I did finally finish off a mushroom log drilling bench that has been hanging around in parts for over a month.

And I also put the 7th coat of poly on a bench that will be delivered and installed Monday morning.

The pint is that this thread might be a good place for small projects we often assume are not worth noting. I know a lot of us do these everyday. Jigs, tools fixtures, shop furniture builds, etc. As well as the "my neighbor needed this, so I made one" type things.
 Lets see if it takes off.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Well, aside from the table I have a thread for, I am almost done building a chicken wire cage around my peach tree.  It is 8x8x8 made with some 1x2 white oak and 4' wide chicken wire.  The dang tree rats ate every last one of my peaches last year, so I am hoping this will stop them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Last year (maybe the year before?) my son gave us an apple tree. I put up a 4' tall wire fence around it and the deer got in the yard and picked it clean. Poor thing was decimated. This spring I noticed it was leafing out pretty nice and had apparently recovered, so I extended the height of the fence to 7' or so. This tree is really looking nice now and gives me great pleasure as long as the deer stay off it. Fruit? I figure if we are lucky, maybe in 5 more years. Hope I live that long. :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Wlmedley

Started putting battens on sawmill shed and built a sawbuck for hardwood slabs.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, it takes a while for the apple trees to start producing.  The trees that I planted in our back yard about 5 years ago had some flowers on them for the first time this spring.  I hope to get a few apples.  Deer in our yard doesn't seem to be an issue, plus the the flowers were up about 7 or 8 feet in the trees.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Machinebuilder

I have been thinking about starting a similar thread, but I'll join this one

I decided to try to use some of my slabs for something other than firewood

I had a bunch of cherry and a little walnut so I thought wooden spoons would be something I could whittle while I watch my dogs run

This is the 3 I finished

I had a friend ask me if I made any spurtles, I had to look it up, and then made these

the cherry one I turned on the lathe pretty quickly, the Walnut I made like a paddle.

I want to try some bowls but have too many other projects started.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

doc henderson

Tom is it only for purple projects or can we put other colors here as well?...   :)

One of our soon to be Eagle scout moms is on the school board and wanted my help to make a charcuterie board for a retiring superintendent.  putting on the block oil.  It had the school logo on it and the years of service.

here is a potting bench made from cedar milled from a beam from @Cardiodoc and donated to @Jim Thomas for his wife.  coated with boiled linseed oil.

These projects are brown, sorry Tom!  :D :D :D  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

The projects all look good guys.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Andries

Making a desktop for my daughter.

Green ash, air dried, no biscuits.

My projects all have a coin epoxied into them somewhere inconspicuous.

Installed on the electric stand-up legs and frame.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Since it is the off season for hunting I decided to make myself another deer blind/shooting house. I had saved up my first cut, bark on slabs and figured they would be perfect camouflage. They are! I got it up and went back to work on the inside and now I can't find it. ::) :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Boy, everybody is busy! Adries, really nice desk, I like the wire feedthrough slot, neat idea and better than a hole I think.

Doc, I don't care what color stuff is, but that 'brown' potting table looks like it may prefer to identify as orange. :D It's pretty though. Is that white cedar or red?

Howard I do hope you find your blind...someday. ;D :D

Poquo

Made this door for a Little Free Library that was vandalized.

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

WDH

Love that ash, Andries. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Good stuff guys.  
I finished that extension table i've been working on today.  Customer will pick it up tomorrow.  Even though I have a thread about that, I'm gonna post a pic here.  Sorry, Tom, its not purple.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

It was an 8 x 14 inch beam a guy had and did not need, milled into 4/4 boards.  a western cedar I assume, but no real info.  whatever the box stores order in.  sawed easy and smelled great.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

I am working on a plastic bin storage shelf for the wife.

I am using air dried spruce. It is very pitchy. so I had to stop a few times and diesel treat the table to get the slabs to slide again. Then I had an idea. I used a sheet of wax paper and a bunch of binder clips to make the bed slippery. it actually worked pretty amazing. Unfortunately the paper did not last that long but long enough to make a big difference.

I originally had it covering all 3 parts of the table but as it started to tear it ended up in the cutters getting shredded and there was a considerable pile of sawdust building up under it on the infeed side.

I ended up just putting it on the infeed table and it worked like a charm.

Pictures are taken after sending through 9 - 70" long boards about 4 times.

This made cleanup quite a bit easier to!!!  

firefighter ontheside

Interesting.  I wouldn't have thought to use that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rusticretreater

I just welded up this dolly to help me move some big logs around the property. It still needs a tow ring to move it at the same time as my log arch.

I had some leftover metal from building the log arch for my trailer and a stub axle and hubs sitting on a shelf.  Picked up the tires and rims from craigslist for free.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

olcowhand

You guys do some nice work....
Whipped up this Bar Table a couple weeks ago. Used a Spalted, Live Edge Beech Slab for the top, and fabbed the Base. I took it to the large 3-day Flea Market to sell it, but no Takers. I did sell 7 of my Art pieces, though. I'll probably list it on Marketplace.....

Great Post, Tom!
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WDH

Olcowhand, I really like that bar table.  Not too big and not to small.  Just right.  

Built a coffee table for a Lady out of wormy pecan.  The table is planked, that is the top edge of all the boards that are glued up for the top and shelf have a small 45° chamfer to highlight the individual boards to give it the old timey plank look.  I did not turn the legs, got them from Osborne Wood Products who make a large line of all types of legs from many hardwood species.  

The breadboard is pegged with walnut pegs.  The legs are hickory which works since pecan is a hickory.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Thats a great little table Danny.  My wife doesn't like coffee tables, so we don't have one.  She doesn't like coffee either.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Rustic,

I made a rear 2 wheel dolly similar to yours. I use a ratchet strap around the log to attach it to the log and lift the log with my log arch. Acts like a rear axle on a pulp wood or log truck.

Good luck with yours.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I made something like this too.  Mine is a piece of 2" tube with axle hubs in the ends and golf cart tires on it.  I don't use it often, but its nice to not skid the log on the ground.  I can pick up one end of the log with the loader and put the axle underneath.  Then I can pick up the other end with the 3 point and pull it like a trailer.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

jimbarry

Donuts count? :)  
Just finished frying up a double batch of buttermilk cake donuts and a double batch of chocolate walnut crunch cake donuts.

To keep in the theme of wood, I did skid 2 cords of logs to the processor this afternoon.

Thank You Sponsors!