iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly G1033 Planer

Started by firefighter ontheside, August 31, 2022, 01:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I'm going to pick up this planer on Friday.  Its an older version with 3hp and 4 straight knives.  That's fine with me.  I don't need to plane anything fast.  Wide and slow is fine with me.  Of course I will use this to plane some of my wide slabs, but I'll also use it to skip plane some narrower stuff before sale.  I'm gonna have to do some wiring to get a 240v receptacle in the garage or I may just make an extension cord to plug it in in the shop.  That's likely the way I'll go.  Buying from a guy who is the original owner for $1000.  I listed my 15" Total Shop planer that I picked up last year on FB and craigslist an hour ago.  I already have 15 scammers texting me and messaging me, so I have that going for me.  I should be able to sell it to Sonya pretty quickly if I send the code she sent me back to her and then she will send me a check for $1000 even though I'm only selling the planer for $600.  The good thing is that I will make an extra $400 on the sale and then won't really have to pay anything for the Grizzly.  It's win win!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

Sounds like a good price on the planer.  You will not be happy with the 3 hp.  Barely enough umph to plane 12" wide.  5 hp would be barely adequate and 7-1/2 would be ideal. 

If you run wire, make sure its heavy enough to support a 7-1/2 hp so you won't have to do it again when you upgrade.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

I had one of those, they were pretty good.  However, they have the motor circuit breaker set low, actually under the rated amp capacity of the motor, which can be read off the motor plate.  So I went in the controller and there is a circuit breaker with a labeled dial and take a small screwdriver and turn the breaker pot to a higher but now correct number.  A few extra amps makes a huge difference.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

I hear what you're saying about the power.  We shall see what happens.  I haven't had any problem with 2hp on the 15" and I figure 3hp is just a bit more hp per inch of knife with the 20".  It won't be often at all that I'll be putting 19 15/16" thru it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I picked up the planer this morning.  It needs to have the bed adjusted.  It operates smoothly though.  I drove most of the way home with it uncovered, but then about 10 miles from home it started to rain.  I pulled over and covered it with a tarp to drive the rest of the way home.  I'll leave it there for a while til the rain quits.  Its not supposed to rain all day and not hard at that.  Hopefully a guy comes this afternoon to buy my 15" planer.  I need to make an extension cord so I can plug it in in the shop and put some casters on the bottom.  Hopefully that will work instead of buying a mobile base.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Larry on August 31, 2022, 03:08:52 PM
Sounds like a good price on the planer.  You will not be happy with the 3 hp.  Barely enough umph to plane 12" wide.  5 hp would be barely adequate and 7-1/2 would be ideal.  

If you run wire, make sure its heavy enough to support a 7-1/2 hp so you won't have to do it again when you upgrade.
Depends on the 5 hp motor. A 5 hp Baldor motor is a whole lot different than a Chinese special select

firefighter ontheside

Got the planer home this morning.  Luckily the seller had a bobcat and I have my tractor on this end ot unload.  The trouble was that as soon as I started to lift it off the truck as stream of hyd fluid squirted out of a hose and across the driveway.  Had to make a mad dash to get it off and over to the hyd shop in town to get a new hose.  It was raining a little and I didn't trust the tarp I had over the planer for too long.  Anyway, got home and put new hose on tractor and then unloaded the planer.  There was a tiny bit of surface rust on the planer bed.  I cleaned that up.  Now I need to do some calibrating and adjusting to get everything nice and flat.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

teakwood

Why is this planer 3hp? I had the exact same unit and it was 5hp. 5hp is ok but several time I triggered the thermal overload switch. To be fair to the machine we did use the unit almost industrially. A great planer, do upgrade to a spiral head, mine became a different animal with the insert  spiral head
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

firefighter ontheside

Looking at Grizzlys site, it appears there were two options at the time.  3 hp and 5hp.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

peakbagger

5 HP is tough startup surge on 240 V single phase. 

firefighter ontheside

I had determined that the only thing out of whack with this planer was that the knives were not set right, which caused the knives to contact the wood before the feed rollers.  You can imagine the trouble that would cause.  I ordered a new knife setting gauge from Grizzly after talking to tech support for a while.  They couldn't have been more helpful.  Talked me thru figuring out what was wrong, even though I had already determined it was the knives.  He told me the part no. to order.  I ordered it and it arrived the next day.  I guess it's good to live only 3 hours from the Springfield MO store.  Got home from work this morning and went straight to resetting the knives.  After that it all seemed to be in order so I planed a piece of maple.  That went well, so took a slab of walnut out of the kiln that I'm gonna make a small table with.  I made a little planing jig from a flat piece of something I had.  It worked great even at 19" wide.  I'm happy with my purchase.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

look at that narly crotch figure.  If it is too narly for you, send it my way!   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

I've got 3 or 4 more just like it.  Come git one.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

thanks.  I have a few of my own! :D :D :D

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Lol.  I may have exaggerated.  I have a lot more than 3 or 4 more like it.  That was just the short ones.  I just unstacked about a dozen that are 9" long.  I love walnut.  Now I need someone to come and buy it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I love having this planer.  I planed 5 walnut mantels and then listed them for sale today.  Of course I could plane them with my smaller planers, but its easier with this machine.  In the past I didnt' plane my mantels, but I think it may help to make sales when they see what the walnut looks like planed instead of rough.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigblockyeti

Those look great!  I too have planed what some might consider big wood through a small planer and it'll do it but not happily.  Sharp knives always help things especially with highly figured wood, while I'd love to get a spiral head for my 18" wedgebed, the cost would pay for a whole bunch of new straight knives and sharpening.  I briefly had 20" Shop Fox with a 3hp motor and while I initially thought it was going to be underpowered, it did just fine.  That was quickly sold for a Rockwell S63 with a 12hp motor, it was not underpowered.

VB-Milling

I have the same planer with a 3hp. Build date is Sept 1994. I really enjoy using it.

Get yourself setup with dispozablade. The previous owner set it up. I was unfamiliar but boy is it a time saver.  Blades are shipped to my door and it takes less than 3 mins to change them. No adjustment required. 
HM126

firefighter ontheside

Interesting.  I will look into dispozablade.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sod saw

Nice machine.  Glad for you that it is working without too much effort.

In reply #1, Larry suggested that you install larger wire now to accommodate a larger motor when you decide to upgrade in the future. 

Although you seem to have your machine running I will add to his suggestion for the sake of other folks who may read this.

The planer that you now have has a cord and plug (pigtail) that is sized for the horse power of that motor, installed by the manufacturer for that size motor.  The circuit breaker that you plug that motor into must be sized to that motor HP.  

If you up grade to a larger machine (motor) in the future, you will probably need a different size circuit breaker (fuse) matched to the new motor HP, along with a different size cord and plug.

Larry has a very good idea to install larger wire now to allow future upgrades to a larger motor, however, the circuit breaker that you are using now for your current machine (motor) must still be sized for the current motor size. . . .  not the future motor size.   If you were to install too large of a circuit breaker now, you run the risk of that oversized breaker not properly protecting the machines pigtail and plug, etc.

Any circuit breaker (fuse) must protect the weakest link of any electrical chain.

have fun
with your new toy

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Sod saw on September 21, 2022, 07:25:26 AM

Nice machine.  Glad for you that it is working without too much effort.

In reply #1, Larry suggested that you install larger wire now to accommodate a larger motor when you decide to upgrade in the future.

Although you seem to have your machine running I will add to his suggestion for the sake of other folks who may read this.

The planer that you now have has a cord and plug (pigtail) that is sized for the horse power of that motor, installed by the manufacturer for that size motor.  The circuit breaker that you plug that motor into must be sized to that motor HP.  

If you up grade to a larger machine (motor) in the future, you will probably need a different size circuit breaker (fuse) matched to the new motor HP, along with a different size cord and plug.

Larry has a very good idea to install larger wire now to allow future upgrades to a larger motor, however, the circuit breaker that you are using now for your current machine (motor) must still be sized for the current motor size. . . .  not the future motor size.   If you were to install too large of a circuit breaker now, you run the risk of that oversized breaker not properly protecting the machines pigtail and plug, etc.

Any circuit breaker (fuse) must protect the weakest link of any electrical chain.

have fun
with your new toy

Some of this is incorrect information.

A circuit breaker's job is to protect the permanent wiring and appropriate receptacle on a circuit for anything that is NOT hardwired, it is not to protect the motor  or anything else plugged into the receptacle.  If overload protection is needed, the machine plugged into the receptacle has to have a overload protection usually built into the starter with appropriately sized heaters.

Thank You Sponsors!