iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A couple of library tables for a good client

Started by scsmith42, December 21, 2022, 03:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

A number of years back we did a large milling, drying and millwork job for a local church that was building a YMCA adjacent to their sanctuary. They shipped in several log trucks of southern yellow pine logs, along with some large white oak and red maple logs that were harvested from the site. We milled, kiln dried, and then processed the lumber into interior and exterior trim and other uses. Some of the largest white oak slabs were made into slab tables for the common areas of the church and YMCA.

When we completed that job, we still had a few boule's of WO and RM leftover, which we've been slowly selling off for them as the opportunity arose.

Recently they asked if we could make a couple of library tables from some of the leftover WO. They wanted something 8' long, but light enough to be portable.

Below is the result.

Table 1 was made from a center cut (quartersawn) 11/4 character slab. The slab was resawn into a pair of bookmatched planks, and then we assembled them into the pattern below. Pith voids were filled with black epoxy. It was a bit of a challenge due to all of the stresses present in the lumber. The multiple pith's from the limbs all wanted to move in different directions, and each one of the resawn bookmatched slabs also had to be ripped down the middle and reglued in order to help alleviate the results of the reaction wood present.

Although challenging, I am pleased with the character of the end result.

Below is an end view of the same table.

And here is an opposing corner view.

The legs were made from a 3 piece glue up of edge spalted, quartersawn WO, with veneer sliced off of the two "show sides" and then bookmatched glued around the corner to cover the seams from the glue up.  I enjoy this technique.  It provides for a more stable leg and allows me artistic freedom to create a piece with character that spans around the corners.  The edge glue lines tend to disappear since they are located on the corners of the leg.

Here is the second top. This one was not a center cut, but was selected for both the spalting and edge grain character that is showcased in the middle of the table. The resawn planks were also ripped to allow for addressing the stresses; I'm pleased with how the glue lines disappeared though. Both of these tops are actually 4 board glue ups.

Below is a close up of the grain character in the center of table 2.

Here are the two bases before finishing and attaching the tops.  

With the needs of the sawmill and kiln operation, along with running the farm, I don't get a chance to do much woodworking. Typically I refer clients to local woodworking artisans. In this case though, it's a good customer and we have a connection to the wood. All in all a fun project and I'm pleased with the results.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

Excellent work on the tables and the figure in the top is really nice.  I do like you on the legs when I don't have thick enough stock.  Finish looks really good!

I see dados in the stretchers.  Did you attach the top with "Z" clips or something else?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

customsawyer

Absolutely beautiful. You have every right to be proud of that build. Excellent craftsmanship.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

scsmith42

Quote from: Larry on December 21, 2022, 11:18:25 PM
Excellent work on the tables and the figure in the top is really nice.  I do like you on the legs when I don't have thick enough stock.  Finish looks really good!

I see dados in the stretchers.  Did you attach the top with "Z" clips or something else?
Thanks!

Good eye.  Yes re the Z clips.  

I actually prefer a leg glue up over solid.  It takes more time, but I like the artistic opportunities and also the better stability.

Tom K

I love the character in the grain on that first one, great job on both.

What did you use for a finish on these?

Don P

Quote from: Tom K on December 22, 2022, 06:54:01 AM

Myself. I'm sitting here with too many sugar cookies and coffee going on looking at the devil climbing on the leg below the church window and all heck is about to break loose :D

Andries

Mr Smith, if you hadn't mentioned that the second top was a four board glue-up, I wouldn't have noticed it at all.
Two thumbs up, top level craftsmanship!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

scsmith42

Quote from: Tom K on December 22, 2022, 06:54:01 AM

Tom, I can't take credit for the finish work.  

A good friend of mine, Jeff Karges, lives nearby and does finishing work out of his garage and my shop.  Karges Furniture - his family's business, was a world renowed furniture company based out of Evansville, IN, and Jeff was a third generation woodworker and finishing expert.  He actually used to teach classes in finishing with Sam Maloof out of Sam's shop in California.

I met Jeff through the client - Crosspointe Church.  He's done a lot of work for them and after spending some time with him I offered him the use of my shop - mainly because he is such a genuinely nice guy.

Jeff put on a first coat of oil based finish to give the oak the warm brown color, then a coat of a marine tung oil based varnish, and then pre-catalyzed lacquer on top so that he could polish them out.  Those pics were taken after the lacquer but before the polishing.

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

metalspinner

Amazing, Scott!
Seeing a project through all the way from tree to a finished table is an incredible feat. A passion project for both the church and you!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!