iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Teakwood Solar Kiln

Started by teakwood, December 29, 2022, 07:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Yeah yeah, i know, another Solar Kiln built. I won't bother with too many questions, just pics. If anyone has critics and suggestions they are appreciated.

The Kiln is exclusively built for drying my teakwood and is made 100% out of teakwood :D, because that is what i have. the floor is second quality wood which i can't sell to customers because of cracks and other errors.

it's 5.3m x 1.5m, that gives my enough space to put two packs of wood, or an occasional beam order inside.
Teak is a very easy and forgiving wood to dry, is full of water and can take a quick water removal rate.

I didn't insulate the floor because it's never cold here

My GF is helping out with the painting, we put one coat of poly water based 3in1 product on, 2 coats in the inside.

1" T y G floor, that big a... moulder i have is doing quick work out of the different dimensions.

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Magicman

Quote from: teakwood on December 29, 2022, 07:00:05 AMthe floor is second quality wood which i can't sell to customers
Looking good Sir.  :)

@tule peak timber aka WoC could sell that for a King's Ransom.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Boy that would make terrific wall panel with the mix of beautiful sapwood. Purpose milled thinner, say 3/8-inch, T&G'd, and uniform packaged at say 4-5 feet long to meet UPS limits,,,,,yes money to be made there! 8) Not to mention that this wall panel would be good for indoor/outdoor applications $$$$$$.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Nebraska

Now if you had boat to get it there. You two could just kill it... :)

Really nice! I love the look of your teakwood  you produce.  You will likely have one of the world's coolest looking solar kilns when that is finished. 😎

doc henderson

yes it will be so beautiful, that I cannot say "it is just a solar kiln!"  Tule will prob. just drive down in his fish camp truck.  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Instead of my Alaskan heater the gen set could run an air conditioner?

caveman

Ramon, good start.  Your kiln will be the most attractive solar kiln that I've seen.  

Costa Rica and Alaska are two places that I have visited but have not had the opportunity to fish.   
Caveman

barbender

Ramon, you've done it again. That is a beautiful floor! Your mortise and tenon sawhorses your girlfriend has material staged on are impressive in their own right, too.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Yes, I would like to order some "second quality, un-sellable" teak please.  I will keep the disposal fee low for you so it's not too much of a burden for you to cover the shipping.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

teakwood

Quote from: tule peak timber on December 29, 2022, 08:30:02 AM
Boy that would make terrific wall panel with the mix of beautiful sapwood. Purpose milled thinner, say 3/8-inch, T&G'd, and uniform packaged at say 4-5 feet long to meet UPS limits,,,,,yes money to be made there! 8) Not to mention that this wall panel would be good for indoor/outdoor applications $$$$$$.
wait till you see the walls, i don't have 3/8 but i have 5/8 T&G walling which i will use for this kiln, outside and inside  ::), will need alot of boards.
We can arrange a container load full of teak shipped to california.  :D

teakwood

Yesterday we put up the structure and late afternoon i was able to finish the beam. screwed 2 rafters together so i got a 4x6

Dry fitting, was concerned about the structure being too high, but after fitting the usual stack of lumber and still need to install ventilators, collector and baffle system i decided to stay with the original plan.

YellowHammer

That is going to be the prettiest solar kiln on the planet.  You might want to go into business selling them as a kit.  I might get one myself!  Lots of sun in the picture, it will be working in that.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tule peak timber

Quote from: teakwood on December 30, 2022, 06:49:19 AM
Quote from: tule peak timber on December 29, 2022, 08:30:02 AM
Boy that would make terrific wall panel with the mix of beautiful sapwood. Purpose milled thinner, say 3/8-inch, T&G'd, and uniform packaged at say 4-5 feet long to meet UPS limits,,,,,yes money to be made there! 8) Not to mention that this wall panel would be good for indoor/outdoor applications $$$$$$.
wait till you see the walls, i don't have 3/8 but i have 5/8 T&G walling which i will use for this kiln, outside and inside  ::), will need alot of boards.
We can arrange a container load full of teak shipped to california.  :D
I keep thinking of some of the advice I posted when you first joined the Forum. In my humble opinion things have not changed and your challenges remain the same. 

Magicman

Quote from: tule peak timber on December 30, 2022, 09:03:07 AM
I keep thinking of some of the advice I posted when you first joined the Forum. In my humble opinion things have not changed and your challenges remain the same.
LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

teakwood

Quote from: tule peak timber on December 30, 2022, 09:03:07 AMIn my humble opinion things have not changed and your challenges remain the same.
Happy birthday wizard!! 

I beg to differ, things have changed big time for me the last 15years, i still get lots of challenges, different challenges but i like them, they are here to be resolved. i'm alot wiser than 10years ago, but don't tell that my younger version  :D  :D

teakwood

Thanks @Magicman for the link, that was nice to reread and go back almost 10 years.

Thanks to @pineywoods and @Planman1954 , because i'm stealing their design.

The beam fitted perfect and isn't sagging, of course i had a little "preload" up curve on the beam so she lies there now straight as an arrow.
I knew i wouldn't build this kiln in one week but i'm getting into some details that will rob some time fabricating!

Magicman

Yes Sir, it was a very interesting 8 year old read.  It was also interesting to do the search to find Rob's reply and advice for you.  :P

teakwood

Question: the channels of the poly roofing need to be sealed over the walls? so no fresh air gets in on the lower side and no hot air escapes on the high side? I think the high side is crucial!?

doc henderson

for control, you want it all well sealed up.  they make a wood or foam piece to directly match the patten of the polycarbonate.  usually where you got the clear plastic glazing.

Crossroads

That kiln is nothing short of absolutely beautiful! 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

caveman

Even on your cloudy days, your kiln will likely help the wood dry faster than air drying.  I just checked on our load of cypress in our kiln.  It was 83°F in the kiln and 70°F outside.  The sky has been cloudy all day and it was lightly raining when I took the picture.  The day before yesterday, it was over 100°F in the kiln while outside the temperature was in the 60's.   

With new, clear roof panels, I think you will be pleased with the performance of your solar kiln.  Your kiln looks incredible.  I'd be inclined to make a miniature version to dry mangos, pineapples and some of the other delicious fruits in Costa Rica.

Caveman

YellowHammer

As much hot dry air should be captured and pushed by the fans through the stack of the lumber.  

Hot moist air that has been though the stacks can be allowed to escape, as it would be exiting out the vents anyway.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

teakwood

Quote from: doc henderson on December 31, 2022, 08:39:08 AM
for control, you want it all well sealed up.  they make a wood or foam piece to directly match the patten of the polycarbonate.  usually where you got the clear plastic glazing.

Yeah, in a perfect world i could buy them but we are in CR and here you need to improvise. I think i will place some of the fiberwood isolation i'm using on the built.
forget anything spongy, foam, rubber or the likes. the sun will eat it in no time   

Thank You Sponsors!