iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bar damage from milling

Started by cleargrain, February 12, 2006, 12:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleargrain

Howdy,
Read a lot of good advice here, but now have a question of my own.  Been milling doug fir with an 075 (30" bar, OR .404 rip chain) for about 20 gallons worth of gas with no problems other than learning how to get more effecient at sharpening.  Just bought an older 066 for the increased chain spead and found that it cuts about twice as fast as the 075 if the cut is under 18"  However, the bar is taking a beating.  After about 3 tanks of gas the cutting edge of bar has ripples in it about where the edge of the cant is.  Any ideas about  what's going on here?  The guys at the local saw shop told me to quit milling with the 066.  Running a 32" bar in a 30" AK mill w/ an aux oiler and Oregon rip chain - .404 x 0.63.

Thanks, scott
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

Dan_Shade

sounds like it's not getting enough oil.  try putting the auxilliary oiler out on the tip.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Minnesota_boy

Check the tension of the chain frequently.  It doesn't have to be very loose to jump a bit where it exits the wood and that will make a ripple in the bar.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

cleargrain

Thanks guys,
Chain tension was the only thing I had be able to come up with, but thought I was doing an ok job of keeping tabs on it.  Evidently I need to check it more frequently.  Both oilers (the saw and the auxilary on the tip) are producing the way they should.  The only way to get more oil an the bar at point would be to bore out the hole a little in the oiler bolt that goes through the bar at the tip.
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

leweee

Are you using full comp. or skip chain for milling ???
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

cleargrain

Leweee-
Using full comp rip chain from Oregon.  Tried a skip chain from Stihl that I changed the angle to 10 degrees on and wasn't impressed with the cut speed, also felt like I was getting a lot more vibration (even after I double-checked all the tooth lengths and depth gauge heights).
-scott

Shamus

The groove in the bar could also have spread out a bit and may need to be tightened. Also if the bar bends at all due to excess downward pressure on the saw while cutting, that will cause the bar to wear unevenly (speaking from experience on that one). Keep up the good work, and welcome to the forum!
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Thank You Sponsors!