iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick edger without power source.

Started by TnSawyer, June 15, 2007, 09:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnSawyer

One of the local guys has a frick gang edger for sale for $1500.00.  It does not have a motor but everything worked fine I was told.  The owner used an aux. pulley from the sawmill's engine to power it , thats what he told me.  It can take up to a 4"x27" cant or some thing close to that. I have not seen it or know anything else about it.  Could anybody tell me if this sounds like a fair price and somethings to look for on the machine when I go to look at it.  An edger would be really handy but more junk will just take up much needed space.

Ron Wenrich

A gang edger means that there are a gang of saws that will rip that cant down into a bunch of 1/2" to 1" boards, depending on how they're spaced. 

I'm thinking you're looking at a 2 saw edger that can take a 4" piece and is 27" in maximum width.  That sounds more typical of a Frick.  A 2 saw edger will have one stationary saw, and one movable.

Things to look for are the knurled rolls.  If they are worn too bad, then your boards will pull.  They can be adjusted or repaired, but its a pain.  Make sure everything moves and isn't bound up.  Check the pulleys for cracks.  There should be an infeed table and an outfeed table. 

The price sounds about ball park.  A lot depends on condition.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Shepard

Is this close to what you are talking about Ron? I was told this was a Chase, but I haven't found a tag yet.

This has one stationary blade and one movable. We also have another blade and handle setup for it. The four fences on the left flip up for different width boards.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Wenrich

Yep, thats a pretty standard board edger.  I've never seen the flip up fences.  The later models had a movable fence so you could take anything from a 1" to 6" piece off at the stationary saw.

Most old sawmill equipment has a part number that's set in the cast.  There is a letter before it and that indicates who the manufacturer is.  Newer models aren't cast and they dropped that letter indicator.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ironwood

I bought one for a friend at an auction earlier this year. Of the five there, the one I bought was a bargin for $500. It had 3 blades a gear box and hydraulic motor. I believe it was a Frick. Most went for $1000 and up. Edger are always popular items as they are the first/next way to increase productivity.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

I really like the flip up fences. The fixed blade is even with the one on the right, so you could set the movable blade at 10" and put a board with one sawn edge in and get a 10" board, or flip the fence down and put a flitch in and get the same. With the third blade in, you could set it up to make three 2x4s or 2x6s out of the right width board.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!