iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who has sawn some Pin Oak?

Started by Squirrell_Boy, June 25, 2007, 01:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrell_Boy

I may be able to get an enormous pin oak that may be taken down. I have yet to saw any pin oak and have heard that it is undesirable, but i really don't know why.

Can anyone enlighten me?
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

Faron

A lot of pin oak is prone to bacterial infections.  This often results in ring shake, and often multiple shake rings.  I understand this is the cause of the unpleasant smell as well.  I sometimes use pin oak for blocking or trialer flooring, if  it is good and sound. Often I have to sort out parts of the log that are not sound.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Ianab

Pin oak often grows with more branches off the trunk and retains them longer. This means more knots in the sawn boards, and less high grade (valuable) stuff. But a really good Pin oak log is as good as any other oak, just on average they will saw out lower grade boards, so it's less desirable.

If it's a really good log, go for it  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kansas

I would imagine the quality of pin oak varies around the country. Around here, pin oak has a more dirty brown appearance, with a lot of knots and defects. Outside of cutting a few for blocking and pallet lumber, we only cut it when people bring in logs to have custom cut. Its a popular yard tree, and many of them they bring in have metal in them. We charge when we hit metal, so pin oaks have bought a number of boxes of blades for us over the years. It does seem to have a bit of an odor, but when you cut as much cottonwood as we do, anything smells better than that.

Part_Timer

I've cut it for folks that like to make rustic furniture.  MGHGrand ?? has a very nice buffet table made out of some book matched boards.  I'll see if he can post a pic.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dodgy Loner

Pin oak isn't native around here, but it's widely planted as an ornamental.  I've never sawn any, but I've seen some that the tree services have taken down, and they all seem to have very pink heartwood, similar to northern red oak.  I would agree with Ianab - if it's a high quality log, you'll get high quality lumber from it, but if it's got lots of knots or ring shake, you might be better off passing on it.  You'll have to look at it once it's cut to know for sure.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

flip

It stinks in all aspects.  Your dog will wonder what you rolled in and be jeleous of you.  Your wife will think your dog peed on you when she washes your clothes.  I will do everything in my power to avoid cutting it. :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

solidwoods

Where are you Il.  If its a good grade log it will make fine material.
WhaTcha using it for?  Its fine for most oak applications.
Flip,, it smells like a fresh Dog C. here also (I guess the tree knows what its doing)

SQ.boy  maybe qtr saw it since its large dia?  Try it..
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

treebucker

Here is a link to a discussion some time back on sawing pin oakOak log with black ring on butt
I'm with the others - inspect those ends closely for signs of ring shake. Also, like Ianab says about the number of limbs, inspect the bark for signs of recent healing over of old limbs. These things can have more knots than most pines. We had the Amish mill some for us several years ago. Too much ring shake and the degrade loss during drying was too high. But it makes the best red oak firewood you ever used and it splits fairly easy...just make sure you air dry it for 3+ months before moving it indoors or the smell will burn your eyes and gain you some indignation from visitors. BTW- the smell does air dry out in a few months. :D
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Thank You Sponsors!