iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

suggestion to/from foresters (not loggers) in the North woods regarding gloves

Started by Geoff Kegerreis, November 11, 2007, 09:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Kegerreis

So it gets cold this time of year up here...Who has found a great pair of thin, lightweight gloves that are warm, but thin enough to comfortably pick pencils out of your vest pockets and sneak prisms out of their cases while they are out and about?
I have an active lifestyle that keeps me away from internet forums these days - If I don't reply, it's not personal - feel free to shoot me an e-mail via my website (on profile) if there is something I can help you with!  :-)

Gary_C

Sorry, I can't help you as I am, among other things, a logger!   ::) ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Geoff Kegerreis

Quote from: Gary_C on November 11, 2007, 10:56:01 AM
Thanks for nothing, but I already have some good gloves worked out for logging work.  THAT wasn't the request.

JUST SO EVERYONE IS CLEAR FOLKS, I DIDN'T PLACE THIS REQUEST FOR EGO BUSTING, I POSTED THIS REQUEST BECAUSE I REALIZE THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN WHAT CLOTHING YOU WEAR BASED ON THE JOB YOU DO.

I have an active lifestyle that keeps me away from internet forums these days - If I don't reply, it's not personal - feel free to shoot me an e-mail via my website (on profile) if there is something I can help you with!  :-)

beenthere

Geoff
Then...maybe you wanted to know about good gloves for foresters, not for loggers... ::) ::) :) :)

Not how I read the title ....  so remain calm, if you will....its the FF way we like... :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Quote from: Geoff Kegerreis on November 11, 2007, 12:44:34 PM
Quote from: Gary_C on November 11, 2007, 10:56:01 AM
Thanks for nothing, but I already have some good gloves worked out for logging work.  THAT wasn't the request.

JUST SO EVERYONE IS CLEAR FOLKS, I DIDN'T PLACE THIS REQUEST FOR EGO BUSTING, I POSTED THIS REQUEST BECAUSE I REALIZE THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN WHAT CLOTHING YOU WEAR BASED ON THE JOB YOU DO.

No need to YELL  ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Brian Beauchamp

In the colder weather I've worked in, I wear mittens/gloves...the kind that fold away and have the fingers exposed. You can sew in a pocket inside that'll hold a handwarmer.

thecfarm

What about those gloves that fit real snug?Most I"ve seen have velcro around the wrist.Craftmans sells them,maybe they are called mechinics gloves?I wear a pair when I'm welding and buiding things.I have no idea how warm they are right out in the cold.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sprucegum

I like working bare-handed but I DO NOT like cold fingers so I wear big fat mitts that I can slip in and out of easily. When you start out real warm you can work several minutes in minus temps before you start to freeze up and wimper - then , like Mom said - PUT YOUR MITTS ON

Texas Ranger

The CFarm has my answer, not as cold down here, but cold enough to work in the woods with metal tools, machetes and such.  I have two types, leather full finger with the Velcro and the same in half fingers for fine work.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Michigan Mike

I'm not a forester but have worked construction work all my life. Some outdoor work requires some pretty fine touch (small nails and other small fasteners). In those situations I would wear an silk  underglove  and whatever overglove needed to keep my hands warm when I wasn't doing the fine work. Sportsmans Guide catalog has the best prices on silk long johns and gloves I have found.

beenthere

MI Mike
I agree with the silk..much better than the poly against the skin for me. Something about natural fibers..
In silk, I like socks, undershirt (short sleeve) and glove liner under wool. Wicks the moisture away from the skin and keeps me warm.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Geoff Kegerreis

Thanks you all - please don't stop offering comments.  I found a pair at MC sporting goods from the company Seirus that are liners/super thin but somewhat insulative gloves.  I'm going to give them a shot in the field tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I'd still like to hear from anyone who has a solution that they are very happy with.

I have tried all kinds of different gloves/mits, etc.  I have poor circulation in my hands (tried to solve that too, unsuccessfully) and when in the middle of a plot, the problem seems either that the gloves are too bulky to get tools out of pockets, they get cold spots in them, etc...  It just seems to be a challenge to solve a seemingly simple problem.

SwampDonkey

If the temps are in the 20°'s and 30°'s I can use Mechanic Gloves with Thinsulate TM liners. When she dips to 0° or colder I have to put the wool/Thinsulate TMgloves on or Military gloves, with Thinsulate TM liners on. In the above freezing temps I use those nylon gloves with rubber webbing over them. Keeps my hands from being eat'n by bugs and scraped up by brush. The cold weather mitts make it a challenge to retrieve the pencil, stylus and prism at times, but I'm fairly dexterous that way. My hands and feet have to be warm or I'm going home though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Cold hands and feet send you home?  Come to Texas, NOT a problem.  Heat will send me home, when the tally man asks me what I thought I just called.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Geoff Kegerreis

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 12, 2007, 03:29:54 PM
Cold hands and feet send you home?  Come to Texas, NOT a problem.  Heat will send me home, when the tally man asks me what I thought I just called.
Hey, I'll spend a day down there when it's over 100/90RH if you'll spend a day up here when it's -20/60RH.  :D  Neither one is worth a nickel for fieldwork.  The last time I was administering a logging job at -20F, the crew had a fire going in the snow and were just trying to stay warm while the battery on one of the hydroaxes was getting charged due to forgetting to keep it running during the cold temps.

Weather extremes suck, but they're just a part of life and managed right, they almost fail to be much of a problem.  The toughest thing is changes - hot weather early on - like 80F (High RF) in early spring a day after a week's worth of 50F...It's just brutal when that happens.

It looks like the next two days are going to be fieldwork days (although they are forecasted to be mild) and thus I will be able to try out these gloves.  8)

SwampDonkey

The last 3 days she's snubbed right up tight. Down to 20° at night and up to about 31° in the day. Makes for better walking in wet soil and will be great if we get another 5 days of it. The ice will be 5 inches thick instead of 2.  :D

Good luck with the gloves.

Now where's my wool blankie.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

Nowhere the extreme cold you have up there, but I use a combination of a light pair of deerskin gloves and insulated mittens over them.  When I need to use my fingers, I slip off the mittens and still have a gloved finger so as not to get stuck to cold metal, but the deerskined fingers are pretty sensitive to touch and feel. The deerskin does occasionally grab onto cloth pockets, but I just be patient and wiggle my fingers in.

Works even better with the mittens that have the slit in the middle of the palm so you can slide your fingers out without having to take off the entire mitten.  I use that combination when I'm hunting.

Michigan Mike

I have used the mittens with the slit when hunting also.  First time I used them in the excitement of the moment I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get my finger on the trigger. By the time I figured it out the little buck was gone. :-\

treecyclers

Personally, I like the mechanics gloves that are snug fitting.
They're OK in the cold, and as long as I stay moving, my hands and digits stay warm.
I can pick up pennies from tabletops with them, and they're durable enough that I can work as hard as I need to.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

letsgetitracing

you are prolly going to laugh but if you put a pair of latex rubber gloves your (proctolgist has a few pair) under jersey gloves you hands won't get cold or wet.

i learned this from a old guy i thought he was half crazy until i tried it it really keeps your hands warm
Homemade firewood processor, 200 ton log spliter, 322 cat excavator, 966 c cat loader, 3 semis, 11 trailers, 50 ton low boy 12 inch tree chipper 3120xp 394 xp 372 xp 3 365  357 55 rancher 346xp 338xp  stihl 056 mag ms 290 026 echo cs440  4 cs3000's  jonsered 2165 2150

go BIG or go Home

Phorester

SwampDonkey

I think you guys in the latex gloves scared Geoff off.  Ain't seen him in days. :o

Jeff

I gave him a call just before deer season hoping to help him understand about posting in the spirit of the Forestry Forum due to some of the reactions and instant messages I was getting in reaction to several of his postings. Tom followed up with an email as my connection with him from the cabin was less then to be desired.  I thought things went well enough but his written decision back to us was that he understood, but it was probably best that he didn't participate at all.  I find that a shame as he left giving several people that he may encounter in his everyday job and future a bad taste, and that might not be deserved as many times we dont come across with the written word as we intend to. Then again, sometimes we do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Well I can go on record and say I never had anything personal against him. I only had one IM from another member who was concerned and that person shall remain anonymous. I indicated that I thought he was a bright fellow and could contribute. He was just a little brazen and bold at times. But, I had no intension of being part of a lynching, that was up to a higher authority.  ;)

Jeff

There was no lynching. That's not even fair to insinuate. The Forestry Forum is different then what most people are used to as many if not most public message boards go. Where we stick out a hand, other throw theirs up in a defensive posture or worse, offensive. Sometime people that find us after combating on other forums don't understand that just aint the way it goes here. Some need to have some guidance and some accept it. Some don't.

Thats the way its always been here. Nothing new. Geoff should know he is welcome back any time he wants to come back. He now knows first hand how we do things and would find out that we all would welcome him back any time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!