iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine Grade ??

Started by Rob, May 01, 2003, 02:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Hello again fellow members I have a question for you out there I'm fairly new to grading logs usually I had a friend that did it but he has moved into a different job field.My question is what do they mean by red knots and black knots when grading White Pine logs??Any help wouldbe appreciated.

Thanks Rob.

beenthere

If I remember correctly ( ::) ), the red knots are the live limbs and the black knots are the dead limbs. Sound (red) and unsound (black) are the two separations. This projects itself to the actual grading of the lumber that is produced from logs, predicting that higher grade lumber will be coming from higher grade logs. Is that consistent with the log grades you are attempting to apply to sort logs into higher and lower value classes?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rob

beenthere,

Thanks for the info it's much appreciated thats exactly what I need to know.Yes thats what I'm applying to also I just did a harvest of 34,590 bdft  of white pine and most of them have red knots not too many blacks.

Thanks Rob.

Thank You Sponsors!