iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total of our experience-Sawmilling

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2008, 10:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Lets try to figure out how many years of experience and knowledge this forum offers in certain areas. Lets start with sawmilling. I'll add a couple other polls as well.  We'll start adding all the numbers together and displaying it somewhere on the forum as we get data, and updating it periodically as more people participate in the collection of the information.

When answering the poll, round to the nearest number, either up or down, what ever is closest. It would be just to much for the poll if we added an option for every year. What we will come up with by rounding will be a very accurate number for our total.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LOGDOG

Done deal Jeff. I've got 16 but rounded down to 15. This is a great idea. Looking forward to the results.  :)

LOGDOG

Jeff

There we go. I needed to round up one year. together we achieved perfection. :)

peterduncan

Is rounding up 1 months experience to year fair?

Jeff

Just been a few minutes and we are already at around 160 years. :)

Ron Wenrich

Do we want years or Mbf?  I've got 25 years or 60 million bf.  I wonder if we reach a billion bf.  Maybe a dual poll?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ellmoe

Well I round up to 25. Who's got 30?

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Daren

I only have 5 personal experience...but I have spent most of that 5 here soaking up knowledge, learning from others experience. I learned stuff here I did not have to learn the hard way, invaluable really.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Jeff

Quote from: ellmoe on June 28, 2008, 06:43:07 AM
   Well I round up to 25. Who's got 30?

Mark

That would be me. I started on the head rig at Oneal & company Inc in 1979, sawed there until they closed in 1984 after a pallot company named Northland Industries bought us and broke us. I went to work at Billsby Lumber the very next day as Head Sawyer. I worded there for over 20 years, I then bought my bandsaw from DouginUtah. Actual experience is 29 years. Rounded up 1.

Ron, yep, years.  Board feet wood be a different subject for sure. I reckon I'm upwards of 80 million using a 3-4 million a year average. Sawing all that aspen really boosts the numbers.

Corley5

I started hanging out at Grandpa's mill when he sawed as soon as it was set up.  That was sometime in the early 70s.  I was always dissappointed when he sawed and I wasn't able to be there.  I've been sawing with the mill myself since he passed away in 2001 but ran it bit under his supervision also  :) :)  I don't use the mill much these days as I've got too many irons in too many other fires right now.  I checked five years  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

We are at over 400 years of experience already. :)

Don P

I just ran into the same quandry as Greg over on the log and timber poll. There's pics of me on scaffold with a hammer and apron on at 8 years old. I just checked 20 years over there. Man it feels good to be 28 again  ;D.

Jeff

I would say that Greg's experiences with his granddad are applicable. You don't have to be a sawyer to have milling experience and knowledge. As an example I'll betcha Bibbyman's granddaughters have more experience then many wood-mizer owners when it comes to the way things are actually done around a mill.

Bro. Noble

Well maybe I should change mine from 15 years to 150 :D :D  I'm a 5'th generation sawmiller ;D  I remember being at my Grandad's planing mill in Reding California around 1947.  That's the year we moved back to Mo.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

maple flats

I spent just a little time at a mill my sister's FIL owned during the early 70's but basically my experience is from 2003, getting my logs sawed by another and then buying my own mill in 05 because he was too slow. I checked 5. Still working on my first million BF, and a long ways to go on that.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Jeff

Dave Shepard

I've had a few days at the mill pulling 16' hemlock flitches that felt like 554 years. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

The only Mill experience I have is with the machine that put the dogears on the fence boards and cleaning the de-barker pit.  The headsaw was about 20 feet away though.
Other than that I took apart a complete milling operation a couple years ago for future use.  I will have to become a Millwright in the future to keep it going I'm sure.
I took credit for one year. ;D

Part_Timer

I have 6 and zac has 3 so we marked 10.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ernie

The first 15 of my 20 years was all with an alaskan chainsaw mill and should really count for about 100 compared to my "real" twinsaw.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Wildflower

Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Don K

I've got about 3.5 yrs so I rounded up to 5. Like Daren,I have learned alot hanging out here. I figure it gives me a leg up on a sawyer with comparable time but not having the Forum as a knowledge base. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

ladylake

6 years here, only hit the log stops once in a while now.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

I've been at it from back in the eighties,but it has never been my only scorce of income.I enjoy building mill machinery as much as using it.Once your a sawyer you never look at trees the same way,people wonder what I'am looking at,just figuring the board feet.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jeff

Over 1000 years of experience at this point in the poll and less then 2.5% of our members weighing in so far. :)

Thank You Sponsors!