iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total of our experience-Sawmilling

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2008, 10:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

That's just plain staggering!  :o Keep the numbers coming folks. 8)

LOGDOG

TreeBones

20 years total, starting with Alaskan Mill, 18 years band mill.

Chuck White

All of my experience is on Wood-Mizer mills.

I started out tailing my FIL's 1992 Manual WM about 3.5 years ago, and this spring, my wife and I bought our own mill. 
We usually work the mill together.  Haven't gotten her to run it yet.  Says she's too nervous.
She will eventually.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

TexasTimbers

I was about to select "1" year but realized I bought my LM2000 and cut my first board in 2004. Time flies when you are having fun. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tremel

I cut my first board on a Frick 00 mill when I was 11 years old in 1981 with an Eclipse Portable Steam engine.  So, does that qualify me as having 25+ years experience?   ;D

I've milled on several circle mills (Frick, Bel-Saw, American, and Farquar) until two years ago when I started using a band mill.  I only mill about 5 ~ 10K bd/ft of lumber per year.
Bill Tremel
Claysville, PA
Collector of Antique engines, Trucks, tractors and hobby farmer.

redprospector

I milled full time from 1995 to 2001, off and on since then. So I just said 10.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Jeff

We are over 1350 years of experience on the poll.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Meadows Miller

Gday

I started sawing when I was 13yo ;D 8) (Im 1 of the lucky ones that knew what i was born to do) after naging Dad to build me a CSM based on a logosol m7 to cut DF , Radiata Pine and local Hardwood. brought my 1st new bandsawmill at 15yo ;D and built my 1st circular 44" flattop sawmill at 18yo 8) and went into sawmill management at 20yo and did my own milling on weekends I  also managed H/Wood kilns for 18 months drying  60000bft per day . Ive been lucky enough to get exp on almost all types of sawmilling equipment. Been back milling for Myself  for 18 months now . 8) 8) And rebuilding Puppa and dads 84 mod # 2 Meadows delux sawmill that was the 1st Meadows sawmill imported into Australia .there is only about 7 of these types of mills (all brands)operating overhere at the moment. my Mate is 2 weeks off
his Morpac mill arriving 8) that I found for him at OSARK equipment MO.Gotta help Him set it up tho (the things you do fo free)  ;D

reguards Chris McMahon ;

I put down 15 years ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

gizmodust

Seems like a few of us started with the Alaskan Mill.  Funny how fast that dust gets in your veins, huh.  With 45 yrs. of experience, I'd be interested in seeing some pics of some of the mills you been around.  I've seen some that you'd swear wouldn't get through a log  :-\
Always liked wood with alot of character

crtreedude

Well, I have been involved in sawing wood - but as an owner, not so much as a doer... if you know what I mean. But, if I were to add up all the experience of our workers...

Lets see, we as of last payroll have 63 people working for us now. Of that number, I would say 20 or more have life long experience cutting wood - usually with an Alaskan, but more than a few with bandsaws and sawmills. So, on average, they have at least 10 years, probably closer to 15 as I think about it.

So, if I were to include my workers... say 300 years. I didn't see that on the options though.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

ARKANSAWYER

Well I have worn out a WM so how many years is that?  I have checked my box and upped the total a little.
ARKANSAWYER

footer

1000 years is awsome! But the 2.5% of registered members is disappointing. Come on guys! How hard is it to vote?

rl

I said 5 years    have had my mizer for 56 months   had another brand for 18 months [not allowed to say brand]  before that had a circler mill for year,   gave up on that...before that,built a band mill with snow machine engine ,gave up on that one too......think I should have said 10 years     rl
rl

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

york

ok guys,

I am in with 30 years-got me first mill in 1976-Meadows #1...

Ran this mill on my off time plus weekends-was firefighter city of Ithaca,ny

Had this mill till 93-then got a bandmill-TH,still not sure why they closed down..

Bert
Albert

rl

why are you not allowed to say brand   had to sign a paper saying I would not bad mouth there mills on any public forum or i would be soued for 15thousand    theres been alot of posts on this site that I would have liked  to replie to ...but didn't dare to                                                      rl
rl

beenthere

Just don't bad-mouth the other brand.  8) 8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm in for 5. Was runnin the Norwood last night!
Red oak sure looks nice.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Rockfarmer

thecfarm

Rockfarmer,how about telling us more,what kind,new one,HP,hyd,what are your plans with it,do you have logs to cut,what will you be building,what got you started?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rockfarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 05, 2008, 09:20:55 PM
Rockfarmer,how about telling us more,what kind,new one,HP,hyd,what are your plans with it,do you have logs to cut,what will you be building,what got you started?

Maybe I answered in the wrong forum,.. Its just a small Alaskan 24" on a Stihl 045AV Super w/28" bar. I also got the mini and will run that on my husky 365 or Stihl 041FB. So far I have have 7 logs to cut, started the first one yesterday, tried to post pics here but after I got the resizing right and putting them in my album when I go to post them their in the wrong format  :o  >:( Its easier to mill the logs  :D I'm going to frame a loft in my garage with the wood I'm making, been putting it off for years now. If and when I get that done I'll think about some pine boards  for flooring or maybe some cedar planks for my deck. I dont know,.. I got a lot of pines that are taking up my property and would like to open the sky up for some more productive hardwoods  :D I'm layed off right now and I like working outdoors, getting some exercise, my cordwood is done for this year and next. I dont even know how I stumbled on this,..  :)

Weekend_Sawyer

You answered the right forum and you are in the right place :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thecfarm

Rockfarmer,thanks for the infro.You got lucky when you stumbled across this site.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ErikC

I said 10 years milling, I think its been 8 or 9 since I got the mill though. I helped chainsaw mill and offbear for a woodmizer and MD at various times earlier than that, but not regularly.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Quartersane

If you count the years spent from the time I was a dust-doodler at my grandfather's mill, to the first cedar I butchered when I assumed the role of sawyer on the same mill, until today where I'm a part-timer it should add up to just over 21 years experience in, around and operating a sawmill.  All by the ripe old age of 35  :D

Actual sawing time I'd put around 15 yrs, but I'll be the first to step up and admit there's a mountain of knowledge I still DON'T have.  This is one of the reasons I'm glad I finally found this forum... can't believe it took this long.

In response to "That mill looks kinda rough...":  "If being pretty was a requirement, there'd be a lot of us out of work"

Thank You Sponsors!