iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

North Carolina route

Started by John_Haylow, April 12, 2009, 09:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

We are planning a vacation to the Wilmington NC area this spring and I am wondering about the route that map quest is taking me. The last trip we took down we crossed at Buffalo and over to Erie and down I-79 south to I-77 then east through Winston-Salem NC to the coast.

This time it is taking us from Buffalo via US 219 south and then making our way over to I-95 and down I-40. There doesn't seem to be much difference mileage wise but I am wondering about the route taking US 219, whether the highways would be as good or the route as quick as taking the interstate.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

jdtuttle

I would stick with your first route. I-79  then I 77. That northeast corridor is full of trucks and I've spent a fair amount of time sitting because of an accident or construction.
Jim
Have a great day

John_Haylow

Quote from: jdtuttle on April 13, 2009, 08:07:35 AM
I would stick with your first route. I-79  then I 77. That northeast corridor is full of trucks and I've spent a fair amount of time sitting because of an accident or construction.
Jim
Thanks Jim, thats good to know.
John

Tom

I don't travel straight line too much.  There is too much country to see.  I've been through that country before.  'Course motorcycle traveling lends itself to more gallivanting, but I would tend to wend/wind/meander this-a-way.   From Buffalo, I'd get myself over to 390, where the country is pretty.  then I would head south to Harrisburg Pa.  That's a lot of pretty and historical country too.

Then I would get on I-81 and go southwest and pickup I-77 south to I-40 east and south to Wilmington.

That gives you some really good sight-seeing choices.  There are lots of Civil War battlefield sites along the way and pretty mountains that most people don't get a chance to enjoy.  Side roads make interesting trips when there are railroad museums and the like.

If I were on my bike, I would probably get off of I-77 onto I-74 east and get onto the Andy Griffith Parkway (54) and visit Mt. Airy.  Did you know that Mt. Airy, along with being the fictitious Mayberry, is the town were the Siamese twins, Cheng and Eng Bunker lived?  There is a lot of history there and some museums too, I understand.   It's Andy Griffith's birthplace.

If one found himself in Mt. Airy, he could take 52 south to Winston Salem, where He could pick up I-40 there.

Those areas of N.Y., Maryland, Pa., WV, Va., and N.C. are so special, it seems a shame to just shoot through there like an arrow in flight.  Heck!  It couldn't be more than four or five  hundred miles out of the way, eh?  :D

John_Haylow

Hi Tom,
That sounds like fun but we have a schedule this time as well as two passengers. We love the area and the history. We took in the USS North Carolina last trip as well as Fort Fisher. Will sure keep your post noted for a future trip when we have more time. Thanks!

John

Polly

i would like to find a site where the us highways are on before pres. isenhire was pres.some in this area i am familiar with and traveled on is us 27 from michigan to florida and parts of us 62 and us68 , the wife and are planning on visiting the midwestern states this summer and the only one in that area i am aware of is us66 , if you are in a hurry i agree interstateroads are the best , but on vacation to see the country and have an enjoyable time i will take the old us routes every time  ;) ;) ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!