iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is what this fella is saying true about “tooth length”

Started by HemlockKing, September 23, 2021, 07:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

At the very least you need to file well enough so the saw self feeds and cuts straight. 

mike_belben

The number one reason i have experienced crescent cutting is bar rail kerf has opened up.  The bar on my chainsaw mill was so shot it would not buck off a piece of firewood unless i used the spocket end. 

I built a rail closer and dressed it up.  Makes perfect flat lumber now
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Here's some good stuff is it the Bible? No but there's some truth to it.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Skeans1

@Tacotodd 
Madsen's 2021 it's directly from Oregon though same thing that's in the handheld handbook.

Old Greenhorn

Two things of note: A) That section of the Madsens catalog is talking about square ground chain, but all the principals still apply to round. 2) The notes say that the shorter teeth will take less wood 'Mostly because of raker height' and of course this is true if you use the type of raker guide they show on the next page which sits on the highest two teeth out of 4 or so. If you use the type that John showed above it sets each raker by the tooth height it is feeding only. So there is a little difference there.
 For those with more interest this article is available in Madsen's 2021 catalog online only and found HERE or their printed 2019 catalog. Apparently Madsen's has not been able to get catalogs printed since 2019 and that is what they put in the box with your order, but they tell me the online catalog is 2021 and they try to keep the prices up to date as often as they can, but things are changing fast. I ordered a half dozen or so items last week and all the prices were accurate except the 75' loggers tape which went up 5 bucks.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 04, 2021, 11:00:19 AM2) The notes say that the shorter teeth will take less wood 'Mostly because of raker height' and of course this is true if you use the type of raker guide they show on the next page which sits on the highest two teeth out of 4 or so. If you use the type that John showed above it sets each raker by the tooth height it is feeding only. So there is a little difference there.

I believe as Skeans noted, the text in that description originates with Oregon. It should be noted that Oregon sells the "non-progressive" type of depth gauge tool. With that tool, it does matter to keep your teeth the same length.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tacotodd

I prefer the progressive styles. That way you can tailor each individual tooths depth gauge to match THAT specific tooth that it is part of. It's part of it, so why not use it to be a good working part of itself. Getting the cutter sharp goes hand in hand with a DG being set for that tooth AND the type of wood that you are cutting. That said, I've just been using the hardwood setting for everything and it works VERY well for me.

But I do have a question that's related sort of to this thread. My Husqvarna tool that is DG tool only seems to get worn down by my file. Does that combination file guide sharpening & DG tool suffer from the same wear issues in your experience?
Trying harder everyday.

Old Greenhorn

Yes, mine is a little chewed up. It gets a fair amount of use and you can't avoid it. I have the husky depth tool only which I really prefer but I could never locate one for .325 chain and only have that style for .375 which I don't use nearly as often. If anybody finds a source for those in .325 I sure would like to know. They should be cheap, but for some reason they are hard to find. Flat, and they fir easy in a pocket.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on October 04, 2021, 08:38:46 AM
The number one reason i have experienced crescent cutting is bar rail kerf has opened up.  The bar on my chainsaw mill was so shot it would not buck off a piece of firewood unless i used the spocket end.

I built a rail closer and dressed it up.  Makes perfect flat lumber now
Some day I'll have to teach you how to use a hammer and a file :).

leeroyjd

Try using that tool to check your hand filing as opposed to filing using it.

beenthere

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 05, 2021, 07:00:00 AM
Yes, mine is a little chewed up. It gets a fair amount of use and you can't avoid it. I have the husky depth tool only which I really prefer but I could never locate one for .325 chain and only have that style for .375 which I don't use nearly as often. If anybody finds a source for those in .325 I sure would like to know. They should be cheap, but for some reason they are hard to find. Flat, and they fir easy in a pocket.
Google Husqvarna Combi Gauge .325
And one place is Amazon
Amazon.com: Husqvarna Combination Swedish Roller Guide For .325 Pitch Narrow Kerf Chainsaw Chain : Patio, Lawn & Garden
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: beenthere on October 05, 2021, 04:46:52 PM
Google Husqvarna Combi Gauge .325
And one place is Amazon
Amazon.com: Husqvarna Combination Swedish Roller Guide For .325 Pitch Narrow Kerf Chainsaw Chain : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Thanks but I think you misunderstood. I have the combi and use it all the time. It's the single flat raker gage tool in .325 I was looking for, they are out there just not from the suppliers I usually use. Now I am curious about that one from Carlton that Todd clued me into called a 'file-o-plate' . I might just find one of those and try it, but it seems pretty hard to locate and over 20 bucks which seems high. Carlton doesn't have them on their website, so it may be out of production by them.

John Mc

They used to make and sell one for standard .325 pitch chain (I own one). However, all I'm seeing now in .325 is their narrow kerf version, which wont fit on a standard .325 pith chain. 
It's a bummer, since I find that style easier to hold on to than the on on their combination roller guide/depth gauge tool
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!