iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Head Drive Chain Slack

Started by bugdust, November 03, 2011, 06:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugdust

While sawing the past couple days I noticed slack in my LT 40 head drive chain, even to the point it began bouncing up and down while the head traveled along the carriage. The mill has less than 350 hrs. so I wouldn't expect to see this so soon. I tightened the chain adjustment a couple threads and it seemed to help. I'm curious if this is normal, and why the slack so soon?
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

WH_Conley

Probably just worked out the packing grease, burrs on the chain and any other foreign material that accumulated. I wouldn't worry about it unless I had to do it again soon. You should have the slack out of it now. Probably just needed to break in.
Bill

Chuck White

The book says that "normal" slack should be about 2" drop in the middle with the head all the way to either end.

I think that what you're seeing right now is normal.
Same thing as with a motorcycle drive chain, after a few hours of operation it needs to be adjusted.

A few years ago, we took 2 links out of my FIL's feed drive chain.
Of course that one's been going since '92.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

T Welsh

I think its normal,its about that time it needs to be tighten. it lives in a bad environment,I wire brush mine every 2 or 3 months and spray it with ATF once a month or so. Tim

ladylake

I'd agree any new chain will get slack in the first hours of use.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Brucer

My book says with the head at the front of the mill, the chain at its lowest point should be 7-8" below the top of the top rail. The main frame tube is 8" deep and the rail is 1" high, so you can eyeball this pretty easily.

When a horizontal chain (or rope) is very tight, any pull downward (say from gravity) results in a very, very high tension in the chain. As the chain sags, the tension becomes less. This means a chain that is too tight is going to stretch ... and sag ... and have less tension.

Bottom line, if you pull your chain too tight, it will end up sagging to where it "wants" to be anyway. Unfortunately a too-tight chain is very hard on the carriage drive motor.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

dean herring

Anyone know the chain size on a Timberking 1600. I need to take link out. 
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

WV Sawmiller

I just replaced cam follower bearing and a feed motor on mine so I can only advice keep it within the specs in your owners manual. I think too tight will cause you way more problems than too slack.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

John S

Yes, 7-8 inches below top of the rail. I wipe ATF on the chain before each day of milling (I use the cut off from an old sock).
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Crossroads

I bought a squirt bottle at the orange box store and was filling it with atf to do my daily lube. Then one day I decided to try to thread the squirter onto a bottle of atf and it worked. A little to loose is better than a little too tight when it comes to chains. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!