iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger

Started by ahlkey, December 17, 2011, 08:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I am finding that cutting all the fitches using my Tablesaw or WoodMaster rip saw blades while ok may not be the best option?  I air dry everything first, then move them to the dry kiln and after they are dry mill them to dimensional sizes.    I also do a far amount of 8/4 which makes it even more difficult using the Woodmaster rip blades as they cannot handle 2 inch stock.   I try to do most of the edging on the sawmill of course but with a lot of fitches of different sizes I am thinking it would be economical to buy an edger that I could use right off the sawmill.  Locally, I have seen a used Norwood Edger in good condition for under $3500 so I am wondering if those of you that use an Edger find t worth the investment?  Likewise, any advice on manufacturers?.  I do want to buy used if at all possible?

customsawyer

I love my edgers, and wouldn't want to cut with out one. That being said if I go out to do a portable job that is only a few thousand bf I leave the edger at the house as the amount of extra work involved to take it for smaller jobs is not worth it. A good edger will increase your production but to get the extra production requires extra help.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

zopi

I am sure they are worth it for stationary jobs...for mobile jobs the single blade jobby would be cool...goes in the pickup...
I sure lust after one...I hate edging on the mill...it had to be a nice board I am edging for, or that sucker is liable to be firewood...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sdunston

I have had a WM EG50 for 6 months now and I think it fits my needs fine. It is light enough to put into a pickup and cuts 2'' thick stuff very well...
Thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

ahlkey

Wha did the EG50 run you new?   Have you tried using it to cut dried stock?  I have a lot of air dried lumber and if it worked it might be a good option to do before puttting it in the dry kiln.  It would seem it might be harder on the unit give the MC would be closer to 20%.

sdunston

Quote from: ahlkey on December 18, 2011, 07:09:31 AM
Wha did the EG50 run you new?   Have you tried using it to cut dried stock?  I have a lot of air dried lumber and if it worked it might be a good option to do before puttting it in the dry kiln.  It would seem it might be harder on the unit give the MC would be closer to 20%.

Ahlkey I think the unit was around 3000.00, I have run some 5qtr red oak that was 14% and it did not bog down at all. I think WM has a video of one in use
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Thank You Sponsors!