iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you charge for Planing?

Started by Stump Jumper, April 30, 2004, 07:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump Jumper

??? ???I was wondering how some of you charge for planing do you charge by the board foot or linear foot or do you charge by the hour?  I have to unload it off the trailer and load it back onto a trailer so there is extra handling involved.  Looks like there is going to be about 6000 bd ft of white pine I will have to be planing later on this summer.  Customer only wants one side planed. ??? ???
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

ElectricAl

A dollar per minute ;D

Per man (or Woman) ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Linda

It's good to see I'm worth a buck per minute. ::)

Because, I know who would be unloading by hand and who would be watching the clock. >:(

We normally charge 25 cents per bdft to skip both sides, unless there is a special request. Special orders cost a buck per minute.
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Kedwards

I charge by the linear foot and charge a setup fee. I dont plane reclaimed boards(possible metal), painted boards or ultra hard material (IPE, petrified Hickory etc ..) :D I also have a minimum charge to run the boards.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Norm

We used to charge .20 per running ft but quit offering that service. If you figure your time and blade sharpening it's not worth the hassle. Now if Patty would buy me that new spiral head planer I might change my mind. ;D

Kedwards

I am consdiering NOT offering this as a service as well. The only service I want to provide is custom crown molding, picture frame molding and tongue and groove closet liner, bead board and flooring. That will be .35 a linear foot plus setup.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

shopteacher

Norm, I think you deserve that planer and you should get a double sided one  while at it. I think Patty's holding you back and not letting you work to your full potential. :D  I know, why don't you take her dancing a couple nights and I just bet she'll order that planer right up.  My wife would. ::)
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

etat

Shopteacher, I think you and Norm BOTH oughta take the Wifes dancing!!!!! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Norm

Uhh...teach could I have your phone #, I would like to give Mrs. Shopteacher a call to tell her how much you really want to take those ballroom dancing lessons but have been too shy to ask.  ;D

pappy

I got a three sider and no matter what I'm planing weather it be one surface or three I get $50 per hour if you help and $60 per hour if you don't help (gotta pay the kid to off bear).  I charge a $20 setup fee if they want log siding or t & g or what have you.

Like Kedwards--no junk please--and I got a sign over the planer which reads "Foreign material rocks,nails,metal,etc. through this planer can cost you up to $1,000" I point this out to the customer before we start.

I use to charge by the linear foot but when the guy would bring me just the 4" wide cedar and the wider material elsewhere I found out what they where charging. I changed my rates. ;D Seems to be the going rates in these parts.

pappy

We like dancing too

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Norm

Gee whiz teach I didn't mean to scare ya like that, I promise not to mention dancing again.

shopteacher

Ya Norm, I was quivering so bad I couldn't type.  :D  However, if the wife would fork out the 20,000.00 for the double sided planer I might, just might consider it.  What kind of drugs do them kids take at them dances? ::) ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Norm

If she talks Patty into buying me a six head moulder I'll drive over and take those ballroom dancing lessons with her myself. :D

Stump Jumper

I wonder what the charge is to dance and plane at the same time? :D :D :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Thank You Sponsors!