iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade tension

Started by Noobsawyer, December 23, 2013, 06:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobsawyer

Wondering what all you wood-mizer owners run your blade tension at ? When we first got our mill the tech at wood-mizer said to run it at 2500 but later when we had the mill at wood-mizer for service there was a guy from the Indiana office that told us anywhere up to max was good, the higher the better. Wondering if that would wear out the wheel belts fast and cause any other problems ?
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks, Pat

Dave Shepard

I run max, which is 3,000 psi, I think. I was told to do this by WM when they delivered the mill. They said it was for all band combinations, and that testing over the years they discovered that the higher psi wasn't an issue for the mills, although too low was. My mill is happier at max than at the recommended psi on the gauge.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

I run all blades past the recommended tension, by just a little,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I've seen several WM mills in operation at some of the local events!

I've noticed that the gage is pegged to the max and the WM tech says that it's recommended.

I still can't help but think that with the tension maxed out that it would be excess tension on the wheel bearings and the blade wheel belts.

I don't remember what the psi was, but I always run mine on the line where the yellow meets the orange on the gage!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

Pat:
I was told By W-M personnel to go by the sticker on the mill when I got it.  Two years ago another W-M employee told me it is best to run with the blades in the 25 to 27,000 psi blade tension range.
So I took out my text books and found two formulas that helped me. 
One was: Elongation = (Load x Length) / (Area* x the Modulus of elasticity for the blade steel)
* for the area I multiplied the blade thickness by the length between the gullet root and the back of the blade. (ie the narrowest width)
Then I fired up the sawmill and tightened the band to 3000 psi with the blade engaged.
Once it had stabilized I shut off the mill and using my vernier set at 6.00" I C clamped it to the blade and released the pressure.  The vernier backed off .006" which I called the elongation and called the length 5.94".  For the modulus of elasticity I used 30,000,000 or 30 times 10 to the 6th power.  I've tried to get an accurate E or Modulus of elasticity from W-M for the blade and got a number short at least 2 digits.
175,000 is not a good number for E.  (Apparently I was not clear as to what I desired) From this I was able to calculate the Load.
Then take the load and divide it by the area and you get the psi that the blade is seeing.
With .045" thick x 1.25" blades if E is close to 30,000,000 then I am close to 25,000 psi. 
My feeling is that if you are using a thicker and/or wider blade to get to the 25 to 27,000 psi range you would need a higher gauge reading, and this would probably reduce the bearing life.
Concerning Dave's comment I agree that at the higher pressure it saws better.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I run mine within ¼" of the max peg in the gauge.  It seems to like it there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nomad

25-27k.  Saws happy there.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

petefrom bearswamp

tried max tension a couple of years ago with .055 blades.
heard a loud bang and tension went way down.
the belt on the idler was crushed and the blade was on the metal.
i now use the lowest tension that still makes me a good board.
figure this is less wear and tear on things and works for me
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on December 23, 2013, 10:17:30 PM
I run mine within ¼" of the max peg in the gauge.  It seems to like it there.

smiley_thumbsup
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!