iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bass wood & R R ties

Started by goose63, July 21, 2014, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

A guy is bringing some Bass wood and a  R R tie :o to saw up told him the blades are $25 each  he says ok will pay that if it wrecks the blade he is building a bar for a old retired Rail road guy 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

I hope the bar is outside because a freshly open RR tie will be just that, fresh.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on July 21, 2014, 05:57:44 PM
I hope the bar is outside because a freshly open RR tie will be just that, fresh.   :-\

"Fresh" is not the word I'd use.  "Rank" is more like it. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

goose63

It might be out side he is going to fill it with old rail road rock and put thick glass on it will get pictures of it when done
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Sounds interesting.  It probably can be sealed to contain the stink.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

thecfarm

I made some steps out of RR ties at my other house. Sometimes I would not even get through the tie without having to sharpen the chain. I almost doubt one blade on a mill will saw a tie. I would almost think 4-5 to get through a 8 foot one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VTwoodworker

I would really be hesitant to have the creosote treated timber inside or near where I ate or drank.  The old ties were over treated with some very carcinogenic stuff.  The residual oil will make it very hard to seal and not prevent bleed through.

I have used old utility poles a number of times for pole barn construction.  I have learned the hard way that when cutting and notching the poles that you need to wear long sleeves and respiratory protection.  (nasty reactions to the saw dust) I have never sawn a pole or tie and I think I would put a tarp under the mill to make sure that I could clean up the sawdust 100% so I would not have to live in the smell and not have hazardous waste spread around my mill.

Maybe the "old railroad guy" is immune to the smell of creosote.

The basswood should saw nice and be a really white contrast to the RR ties.

beenthere

Creosote treated products didn't use to cause any great deal of concern or be regarded as hazardous waste. Nor did people who worked in it, around it, and on it have inordinate issues. Posts and ties were treated with it and it smelled. But linemen climbed the treated poles shirtless, and tie layers laid ties all day long, and putting in fence meant hugging a few creosote posts during the day. Friend of mine worked his life in a creosote treating plant and died at 86. Healthy man his entire life, even golfed a mean game at 85.
Seems the younger gen have bought into the media pitch, similar to sun screen. Sells a lot of products, IMO.
I think anything in great quantity could be "carcinogenic", but in moderation not to be feared.
Like the "scared in the woods" thread because a mountain lion might be there to eat you.

I just don't buy into it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

I'am with Beenthere on this one, creosote has served mankind well for a long time. All that is required is a reasonable amount of care around it. Be very wary of a government that wants to save you from yourself. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

redbeard

Not trying to start a debate but when you open up a tele pole or a Tie that has been treated with a blade there are caustic chemicals that will harm you.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Jim_Wahl

I know from personal experience that creosote fumes can aggravate a sunburn, but it
takes massive simultaneous amounts of each to do it.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

woodhick

I can personally say that cutting cross ties with a chainsaw in hot humid weather in a short sleeve shirt is a BAD BAD BAD idea :o   Worst burn (burns!)  I've ever had in my life and I have worked around some major chemicals.  I agree that goverment regulation and hype have scared a lot folks and handled right they are ok.  I was young and did not handle them properly (short sleeves). 
Its the phenol in the cresote that will get you.  Wear proper ppe and it should be ok.

woodhick
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: woodhick on July 22, 2014, 12:04:34 PM
I can personally say that cutting cross ties with a chainsaw in hot humid weather in a short sleeve shirt is a BAD BAD BAD idea :o   Worst burn (burns!)  I've ever had in my life and I have worked around some major chemicals.  I agree that goverment regulation and hype have scared a lot folks and handled right they are ok.  I was young and did not handle them properly (short sleeves). 
Its the phenol in the cresote that will get you.  Wear proper ppe and it should be ok.

woodhick

When you are sawing it you are also breathing it in.

Magicman

I climbed my share of treated poles during my career with the telephone co. 

My comment was not about fear of chemicals but the stink.

36 coupe

I have read that passenger rail cars flushed toilets on the ties.There were signs in the toilets that said Do not flush toilets while in the station.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 36 coupe on July 24, 2014, 07:49:52 PM
I have read that passenger rail cars flushed toilets on the ties.There were signs in the toilets that said Do not flush toilets while in the station.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!