iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

What happened to that nice old truck you had grassfed ??
Nice load of fir.

gg

grassfed

I still have it but I pushed it too hard with a full load and I melted a liner seal. I have been falling behind on things the last couple of years and I have not been able to work on it yet. I really need to put a motor with more power and torque in the truck because the 6v53 cannot handle the hills around my house. I was thinking of trying to fit a 6v92 ta. I think that the 6v53 is only good for about 30k  gvwr and more like 25k around here. The truck has a 51k GVWR and with 4 cords it is at about 47k. I kept hauling more and more until I hit failure  :D 
Mike

1270d

We don't often run into hardwood this big UP here.  Rare treat.  I bet one of the guys he couldn't guess the stump diameter within a half inch.  He guessed within a quarter.  42.5 in.  Had to buy his breakfast the next day.

Clark

SAF Certified Forester

1270d

Red oak.  Haven't come across a big tooth over 36 inches yet.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

1270d

ehp

happy birthday day young lad, yep now that I'm a old guy I can say that  8), I should post pictures of what I'm not to cut on this job , huge red and white oak , lots of red in the 50 plus inch on the stump but no yellow dot on them so they are staying

coxy

ehp    how would that work if your color blind  :) :)

Clark

Red oak was my next guess...either seem wild though! It does amaze me how different the qualify of timber is from MN to the UP.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

ehp

Coxy, You better figure out how to see those dots on the trees here  8), You start cutting wrong trees and that gets you in real trouble real fast here

barbender

As I'm sure Clark knows, we do grow some dandy hardwoods in MN, but it is isolated to small pockets. It seems like microclimates around the bigger lakes foster some good growth. But by and large, we are a pulpwood state. I do get jealous of all the fine hardwoods you fellas get to cut. BTW, on the marked timber/colorblindness issue, one third entry pine thin we cut was marked with a flourescent red paint the state was trying out, because the yellow they were using was causing problems in the thick hazelnut brush that comes up in the open pine stands. The leaves turn yellow in the fall ::) Well, as it turns out, the processor operator on that one is a bit colorblind toward the dull pink color that the paint had faded to. He was already finished cutting the job (he went on the lowboy when I got off, we do that often). So he was long gone when I discovered all the timber that had been missed. Ended up being about 3 truck loads :o My chainsaw and I got a good workout on that one, but truth be told I relish the opportunity to get to do some hand felling. Especially nice pine in a park like setting  ;D

coxy

Quote from: ehp on September 24, 2016, 08:23:19 AM
Coxy, You better figure out how to see those dots on the trees here  8), You start cutting wrong trees and that gets you in real trouble real fast here
I can see  just poking some fun  :D

GRANITEstateMP

This is what we're currently cutting...

Sure, it's not wood, but we're still using a cutter!  Heck, we even got a processor, kernel processor that is!

Might be the straightest thing we get to cut down around here.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

leeroyjd

^^ Reminds me of a joke about some city slicker observing corn being chopped and yelling at the operator for clear cutting the forest.

GRANITEstateMP

We had a very successful clearcut of that corn forest...  Got another 3 or 4 days worth and then onto the next project!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

coxy

better you than me  I did that 1 time and never ever again round and round and round not for me  :)

Clark

Quote from: coxy on September 23, 2016, 07:29:51 PM
ehp    how would that work if your color blind  :) :)

I've had to mark with a different color paint because one of the cutters was color blind. Something about teal paint makes a guy feel more like he spent a day painting an elementary classroom then a day in the woods.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

barbender

Clark, personally I like that teal color, it shows up pretty well in the forest.

LittleJohn

Here in the Southern end of MN, most corn fields are in standing water.  Watched one framer drive his corn bind into the field, within 100 feet he had to be dragged out as the wheels were absolutely buried

barbender

This has been one of the wettest summers, and now falls, that I can remember.

ehp

its raining now but for here it has been the hottest and driest summer ever on record

chevytaHOE5674

One of the wettest summers on record here and now a wet/soggy fall. Rain and 50's the last few days. Hard to get any farming done, also hard to get much logging done.

GRANITEstateMP

We've got 1 day to go and we'll be done corn till next year!  Here in NH it's been super dry.  Pretty sure our honorable weathermen recently said we're down over 13inches of rain this year.  We don't want it all at once but we sure could use some rain!  Well, maybe after the next couple fairs...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

coxy

it been dryer than a popcorn fart here all summer  :)

Thank You Sponsors!