iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

That's some nice pine chep !!!
Are you having any trouble finding a local pine buyer ? The mill I use is in northern Grafton County. Pine is his specialty. He quit buying pine in January. Never saw that before.  He said he was completely overwhelmed with it this year.
Guess that is what happens when the price goes up a little after a couple low years.

I think he would buy the logs you are showing though !! Very nice.

gg

78NHTFY

Chep--nice pine!  BTW, checked out your gallery--is that a slabber I saw?  Have a customer who's been looking for one.  If so, send me a PM & I'll put you in touch.
This is a 90 yr old WP stand I'll be cutting in the next few years. 8)

All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Offthebeatenpath

I'm cutting some white pine too, most of it is a bit over 100 years old.  This one isn't the biggest or straightest, I just happened to have my phone in hand as it was being cut...

1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

chep

Nice pine is one of my favorites to cut!

Gman, no trouble moving pine right now.
Rob, sent u a p.m.

Maine logger88

Took a couple pics today first the logs not the biggest stuff but not bad

And dad loading up a load of pulp

And this is how deep the snow is in places

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Skidder Kev

Skidder Kev

Here is a few photos of the job we are on right now.
tree length decked on the landing

hard maple logs

Firewood

eichenberg93

Took the camera to work today and got some pictures.

Pile of 10' Popple about 19 cords

Clump of red oaks 6 trees total

All ready to skid.They were from 18" to 26" on the stump

so il logger

Last load out for awhile... Ground conditions made us call it for today, and forecast doesn't look good so moved equipment to the mill. Some oak, hickory, and sweet gum :)

treeslayer2003

Quote from: so il logger on February 27, 2015, 04:23:16 PM
Last load out for awhile... Ground conditions made us call it for today, and forecast doesn't look good so moved equipment to the mill. Some oak, hickory, and sweet gum :)

2 questions, you have several grades on there it looks like. are you working for a mill? how did it work out on the gum for ya?

so il logger

Yeah treeslayer I am contracted to a large mill, I find it easier than doing all my own buying. They put the timber in front of me and I cut, skid, buck to length, and load them. The gum market is decent, was better when every mill around here was making crane mats. I get paid the same money regardless of species or grade and I'm happy with that. They sort the logs at the mill, and I pick up my check at the end of the week ;D

treeslayer2003

nothing wrong with that bro.
these small mills here will buy every gum you bring in for ties. gum pays better than large pine.....

so il logger

Oh and there may have been one soft maple log on there too. I buy some standing timber, but all in all after buying, harvest fee tax, and trucking I have pretty well settled into contracting to this mill. And my father in law is they're head sawyer so it work's :)

treeslayer2003

so il logger

Yeah, state want's theyr'e 4% :D Sometime's the landowner will allow it to come off theyr'e part, but most time's I have just payed it. Or if cutting on share's it come off of my check from whatever mill was buying

chep

This pine is on the vermont side of the Connecticut river...

Dave Shepard

It would look better just this side of my sawmill. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

Straightgrain

Don't laugh too hard at this toothpick... ::)

This is the beginning of my 2015 Selective Harvest; It was leaning so I practiced a plunge-cut (that I seen on this forum) and it worked perfectly.

I got an 8' butt, a 20' log, a 16' log (plus trim) for the mill, and a 20' top for the wood stove.

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

coxy

your not living up to your name cause that tree don't look vary straightgrain  :D :D 8) 8)

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Work on the plunge cut... as you shouldn't get that much grain pullout. Maybe not enough notch and too wide of a hinge.
But good you are working on trying it out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Straightgrain

Quote from: coxy on March 04, 2015, 11:02:25 PM
your not living up to your name cause that tree don't look vary straightgrain  :D :D 8) 8)

I have a bunch of 38' snow breaks too. Crooked trees and maples are not safe. The straight-grain firs stay for the grandchildren to harvest. ;D

Thanks for the critique beenthere; I was hoping for an eval on the hinge.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

4x4American

Hinge proberly too thick.  I think that plunge cutting has its place, but 9x/10 I don't do it.  Heavy leaners, some hardwoods, I'll bore the heart or plunge cut.  I am by no means a pro, but I have got lessons from some good old timers along the way.
Boy, back in my day..

Straightgrain

Quote from: 4x4American on March 05, 2015, 01:14:20 PM
Hinge proberly too thick.  I think that plunge cutting has its place, but 9x/10 I don't do it.  Heavy leaners, some hardwoods, I'll bore the heart or plunge cut.  I am by no means a pro, but I have got lessons from some good old timers along the way.

Thanks for the critique; I appreciate the look. My mentor who passed in 2009 said he never used a plunge-cut when I asked him about it; he was up here cutting on his 300 acres (65K trees) since the 50s. I've never had a barber chair but I've had plenty of snags (could be my thick hinges.... ;D) and one tree rolled off another and fell parallel to the house last year......that was a long evening.

Nice having the right tools and training.

Thank You Sponsors!