iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumberjohn

I dont see a plunge cut in that stump. Unless your version of a plunge cut is something different than what I do.

4x4American

^ There are 100 different ways to plunge cut.

OP-  thick hinges will cause hangups.  One of my previous bosses would yell out stay with it stay with keep givin it to her..if I got out too early he'd ask after it was on the ground what are you scared of it's only a 10,000 pound tree falling from the sky  :D
Boy, back in my day..

so il logger

Quote from: 4x4American on March 05, 2015, 10:44:22 PM
^ There are 100 different ways to plunge cut.

OP-  thick hinges will cause hangups. 

100 ways to plunge cut??

Thick hinge's will cause barberchair's, maybe I am wrong but I do this type of work everyday, and have learned as I went. Back to the topic, I look forward to the pic's of what everyone is cutting. And I will be putting more pic's up soon

treeslayer2003

well bro.....gutting the heart is a plunge.........blocking a face is a plunge.....siswheel......you get the point. not all plunge cuts are gol.

Ed_K

Got to remember that the plunge cut is to do 90% of your cutting before the tree does any moving. With that being for safety, you only have a back strap to cut and get away from the tree in case some of it drops down where you were standing. If your at the tree chasing it your not as aware of whats happening up top.
Ed K

Lumberjohn

Ed_K, that is what I call bore cutting. I guess its all in the names. My plunge cutting is pushing the bar tip into the notch in the center, cutting any wood I may miss doing the felling cut.
I can get away at cutting a much bigger tree w/out pulling splinters with a smaller bar. And I still leave a back strap on if it is leaning a certain amount.

RunningRoot

This was this week, still on the small low grade tract, weather around here has been something else and it doesn't help that this land it practically a swamp! Lol...
One more load monday to go and then on to some better timber .. 

A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

Jamie_C

How's this for prime timber ? Averaged just under 0.06m3 per stem or roughly 35 to 37 trees per cord.

Ken

Quote from: Jamie_C on March 07, 2015, 10:05:37 AM
How's this for prime timber ? Averaged just under 0.06m3 per stem or roughly 35 to 37 trees per cord.

Holy crap Jamie.  I thought my block had small wood.  There have been days I'm only averaging 0.11 m3/tree and complaining.   How many stems are you handling a day?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jamie_C

I usually average somewhere between 800 and 900 stems per 10hr shift according to the computer  .... if you factor in the multi stemming it's likely closer to 1500 stems. Back in the summer we had guys in doing time studies on us, in all softwood that ran 0.07m3 per tree i had one count of 320 trees per hour and the other was 260 .... lot of multi stemming to get any kind of production

1270d

I just had my new record last week at 273 stems/hour, no multi stemming.   Not very Big wood :D

BargeMonkey

Some ok oak and a few redpine. 

Isnt actually a bad sized pile of wood for only 4.5 days this week. Waiting for the snwo to drop and weather to warm up. 

Friday i had to go to the port of albany and work on a tug, and now back to my boat tomorrow. Its getting old.

Thats a friend of mine who i got to come help me set valves, change a few heads and lash adjusters on that boat when i get home again. They will pound that boat on the canal and lakes this yr for 7 months flat out. 

beenthere

Yuppers BargeMonkey, that is quite a pile-a-wood you show across the water there, beyond the tugs...   8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BargeMonkey

Quote from: beenthere on March 08, 2015, 11:48:39 PM
Yuppers BargeMonkey, that is quite a pile-a-wood you show across the water there, beyond the tugs...   8) 8)
:D  thats the scrap dock @ the port of Rensselaer. Still pretty icy. Everything is parked now, get home in a few weeks and start in again. Need to buy more lottery tickets.

so il logger

A few white oak from today, oh and maybe a hickory or 2

loggah

You guys are all cutting some pretty good wood ! ;D Barge monkey,that Grimmels  scrapyard?
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Autocar

So il logger your cutting some dandy white oak makes for a fun day when you know your making money  :D. Thanks for scharing your good fortune.
Bill

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on February 27, 2015, 08:07:24 PM
harvest fee tax???

Sure. Didn't you see those state employees planting, pruning, thinnning and harvesting the trees? I guess the property tax they collect every year just doesn't cut it, pun intended. Well, it is Illinois. :-\ :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

so il logger

Thank's auto car, just another day in the wood's. And yes buckeye, the state sure does they're part  :D. If it is a marketable tree and it grow's in illinois then they want they're share. I am just doing the falling on the job these latest pic's are from so they wont be taxing me.... until tax time ::) 8) 8)

sshier

Very large cottonwood all done yesterday

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

so il logger

Dave Shepard

Do they have a turntable at the mill to get that truck pointed back towards the woods like they do with a train? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

enigmaT120

What do you guys do with cottonwood?  Ours get big around here but I didn't know there was a market for it.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

sawyerf250

Sure am jealous of all the big timber you guys get to cut!? Not much big stuff left up here and what little there is, is scattered all over.  Makes it awful hard to start a logging business with nothing but pulp. ::)
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!