The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 794345 times)

Offline Straightgrain

• Like a kid in a candy store..
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #280 on: May 01, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »
I think I have officially become too lazy to even saw up firewood by hand.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

That looks like 5 years-worth of my cutting ;D
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #281 on: May 01, 2015, 03:33:37 PM »
only put one 30.5 32 on this time. A Samson was over $1000 less than a firestone.
 lj48- with this type of timber its a challenge to keep a nice pile. were cutting them 8' to 18' long

In my 36 yrs of logging, thats counting the yrs the wife kept the job going. We cut lots and lots of that kind of timber your logging and it had to be sorted. We had a firewood pile, saw bolt pile and a log pile. I sorted it in the woods when i was hooking up. I cut it to length in the woods, don't get me wrong, i didn't saw the 8 foot up.
  I understand that you can't do that with a grapple skidder. I would have a small Bobcat or a loader truck on the landing, sorting and piling up. Doing it this way you'd only need about 1/4 of the landing room. Then the skidders not tied up on the landing, it could probably make 6 to 10 more turns a day.
  Don't get me wrong, I'm not rugging on you, your getting the wood out. Just throwing some different ways out to make it work better, for you and the trucker. 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #282 on: May 01, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »
Ken,
Any idea on cost per cord while blocking firewood?
Coxy,

that's pretty neat    thanks for the link

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #283 on: May 01, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
Ken,
Any idea on cost per cord while blocking firewood?
Coxy,

North River Energy
I have no idea of the cost.  I do know that it is not a very productive use of the machine but it is still break up season here so a bit of a make work project.  That lot is where I usually do a lot of my cut and split firewood orders.  I dropped the machine off there to clear some land for a shop sometime in the near future and decided to block some wood.   I liked the video of the splitting wedge hanging off the head on that timberjack harvester on the link you posted.  Neat idea.

That looks like 5 years-worth of my cutting ;D

My six cord is in the front but there should be close to fifty for other customers in the larger pile.  I had to take the picture looking into the sun.  Haven't seen it for a bit

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline eichenberg93

• Share Post
« Reply #284 on: May 01, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »
LJ48- I see what exactly you are saying. Were cutting this wood for a local hardwood mill. Theres not much sorting done most of the time just different lenghts depending on weither its grade, crating, or mat logs. On our last job we had some popple to cut and that was sorted in a different pile. Some day we will have a loader on the landing to cut and stack logs but we have a skidder to get paid off this year. Most of the time the logs dont say in a pile for any longer than a week. On average the trucker is in and out within a hour and half after loading up 7000 bft. Theres always different ways to do the same job but all depends on if you have the equitment to do it with. A log skidder has no limitations just it operator. Thanks for the input theres never a day i dont learn something new. 

Offline North River Energy

• Share Post
« Reply #285 on: May 01, 2015, 09:00:36 PM »
Thanks Ken, sort of figured as much.  That's a lot of engine to run a bar and chain.
I bookmarked that video because it's both an elegant and extravagant solution to working up firewood.
The scrap metal wedge is so cheap and simple, while the processor head is so expensive and mechanically involved.

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #286 on: May 02, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »
  eichenberg93  when i pulled tree length Aspen for the Co. they wanted the bolt timber sorted out from the pulpwood. When i started in the morning I'd pull 10 turns and drop them alone the skid road. Then I'd go back an grab another turn, pull up on the skid road and drop it. Now ether unhook the small trees or the big trees. If you leave the big trees hooked and drop the small ones, you can fill up with big trees on the way out. When i did this i would run 10 chokers. I did it this way if i had a long skid. With a short skid I'd drop the big trees first on the landing an pull ahead with the small trees.
 Whats nice with the grapple you don't have to get off the skidder to do this. I know you can't sort it out perfectly, but sorting the big trees from the small trees will make your trucker happy, He'll probably give you a big kiss ;D :D 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline 1270d

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »
Not something I would be interested in experiencing with our truckers :D

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2015, 05:23:54 PM »
My trucker gets upset if there isn't 25 cord in a single pile that he can load up in one shot without having to climb down and move the truck. haha

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »
And they want perfectly bumped piles to load from.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »
And they want perfectly bumped piles to load from.

And all the logs should be cut to the perfect length so that they never have to trim anything....

Offline Straightgrain

• Like a kid in a candy store..
    • Share Post
« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »
My trucker gets upset if there isn't 25 cord in a single pile that he can load up in one shot without having to climb down and move the truck. haha

Trucker upset; now there's an oddity...//s ;D
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Offline jwilly3879

• Share Post
« Reply #292 on: May 02, 2015, 11:13:01 PM »
We have a great trucker and a loader to sort on the landing now. Before we had the loader, he would load logs and toss the pulp/firewood out of the way rather than stack it, even if that was the next load. My son asked him if he was building beaver houses. Then rather than move the truck he would ask us to push the beaver pile to him.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #293 on: May 02, 2015, 11:50:30 PM »
We have a great trucker and a loader to sort on the landing now. Before we had the loader, he would load logs and toss the pulp/firewood out of the way rather than stack it, even if that was the next load. My son asked him if he was building beaver houses. Then rather than move the truck he would ask us to push the beaver pile to him.
Gotta love that.  :D  not alot to be made on the Fw or pulp and then youve got to handle it a few more times.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »
 Not 1 tree has been cut this week. But i do have some ok pictures of the bridge work, by the time its done i bet it will be 50 to get across.  :D   

The concrete pier sections are coming up from down south somewhere. Saw a tug tow them up on tuesday, and this guy heading out with a light tandem tow today.

Offline ga jones

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #295 on: May 03, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
The lot job is finished 

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Subdivision ? At least your not playing in the mud.  :D

Offline treeslayer2003

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
bargemonkey, there is a new bridge going up near here, there is a huge barge mounted crane there. i really need to get a pic, it is impressive. it says the baltimore on it, not sure if thats its name or where its from.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #298 on: May 04, 2015, 12:57:36 AM »
bargemonkey, there is a new bridge going up near here, there is a huge barge mounted crane there. i really need to get a pic, it is impressive. it says the baltimore on it, not sure if thats its name or where its from.
If you look on FB on some of the tugboat boards you may get something, Baltimore used to be a "local" run compared to when i was in the gulf, but now i rarely see past NYC harbor and the hudson river.  :D  My new wife is doing everything she can to push me off the boats and this was the happy compromise.

Offline ga jones

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #299 on: May 04, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
No. The landowners wanted view of the lake. There home is directly behind where I took the picture from.speaking of mud.We're worried about fires. It's extremely dry already. We're 4 inches low on rain.mud season was 5 days long.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
by dustyjay
xx
first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM
by Heartwood