iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Wharf piles here come in three types - concrete, H6 treated (which is a CCA dip followed by a creosote dip) and untreated.

Untreated piles are - at least here in the high risk tropical waters of the coral sea - really only used in environmentally sensitive areas where leaching of the treatment chemicals can be an issue. Fortunatley with that entire Great Barrier Reef thing right off the coast thats just about everywhere here.
Untreated piles are almost exclusively Turpentine (Syncarpia glomulifera) which is considered the best timber in the world for resistance to marine borers because of the presence of an oleoresin ( yah... turpentine) in the bark and sapwood that keeps borers out.
So untreated piles are used with the bark intact, so everything to do with them is a headache... felling, snigging, loading, transport, unloading... all have to be done with great care so as not to break the bark.

Easy huh?

You ever try and pull 60 foot logs with a small end diameter of 14-16" out of the bush without rubbing them on anything?

7 logs - 22tonne - much swearing and cursing.
I earnt my beer tonight my friends.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Straightgrain

Sending a load to the mill

The lifting-power of the self loader is amazing!
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Maine logger88

LL what are you using to skid the logs? And load them you must have something fairly strong to lift 60ft logs that are a little over 3 tons each? Straightgrain good looking stuff! Got a little overhang on a few of them huh lol!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

g_man

Quote from: Straightgrain on May 11, 2015, 06:51:57 PM
Sending a load to the mill

Always a good feeling. Especially when you do it with small equipment. How many BF do you figure ??

Straightgrain

Always a good feeling. Especially when you do it with small equipment. How many BF do you figure ??
[/quote]

Yesser, very rewarding.

No clue on the b/f

I lost track of time and forgot to measure them.  I may not have time to measure deck "b" either. The 15th is the mill's deadline to receive payments by the 25th...5 more trees to cut, heavy rain tomorrow, and...I may have jury duty.

The loader  owner/operator is already booked for Friday.

Fun
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

ga jones

It's nice that you guys can do tree length. No bucking. Saves time money and faster to load. Nice logs.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

BargeMonkey

Anyone else having trouble loading pictures ? Tried my phone, tablet and laptop, no good. Tried multiple different pictures, single and multi load setting, not a thing. I havent been blacklisted yet have i ?  :D

beenthere

Looks like about 65 pics were loaded today... maybe you have a hiccup in your system?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BargeMonkey

Quote from: beenthere on May 11, 2015, 11:41:05 PM
Looks like about 65 pics were loaded today... maybe you have a hiccup in your system?
That was what i was thinking. Tried 3x ways, keeps showing the error screen. I give up.  :D

longtime lurker

Quote from: Maine logger88 on May 11, 2015, 06:54:54 PM
LL what are you using to skid the logs? And load them you must have something fairly strong to lift 60ft logs that are a little over 3 tons each? Straightgrain good looking stuff! Got a little overhang on a few of them huh lol!

Skidding is the hard part with those - got to have a pretty clear run and be free of sticks/rocks/debris that will tear at the bark. From there we lift the log by chaining it to the treespear on the dozer, then back the skidder under it and hook on. The 666 is set up with a higher roller on the fairlead so we can get ground clearance, and we take up any slack with the winch then chain it up so it can't go anywhere. From there its just a regular skid, with the dozer following along behind to steer the tail as required. At the landing we cut them back to the required length to remove the damaged section on the tail. 60's are slow, but compared with 80's it's not so bad. Getting an 80 footer out intact is a "two logs a day" kind of haul.

Biggest one in that lot (per the crane driver at the receiving end) weighed 3.7 t. Next week I'll be loading regular sawlogs and we're sending the butt log at 40'long to another mill and taking the top log(s) home for ourselves. Some of those butt logs will be over 6 tonne apiece: I might not do many trees a day felling and skidding by myself but my tonnage is pretty good. :D

Old Bessie the LD9 throws those little 3 tonners around like nothing....the 6 tonners are about her upper limit.
(Bessie is the one on the right needing paint)

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

barbender

Bargemonkey, I was having trouble loading pictures off of my smart phone (Samsung S6) someone suggested that the pictures were too big. I reset my resolution from 8mp to 5mp, that works most of the time. Sometimes I have to resize the picture on my phone.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on May 12, 2015, 10:58:03 AM
Bargemonkey, I was having trouble loading pictures off of my smart phone (Samsung S6) someone suggested that the pictures were too big. I reset my resolution from 8mp to 5mp, that works most of the time. Sometimes I have to resize the picture on my phone.
Every once in a while ive had trouble with a picture, loaded a few a week ago now im getting no where. Tried different devices, settings, try again later.

BargeMonkey

Move day. She doesnt fit to well on my lowboy.  ;D 

Working my way up the hill. 

Trying to avoid barking anything up, this section is mostly firewood and ash, the bigger stuff is on the other side. 

Today they punched the well in for my new store. Start stripping the sight and getting the septic in shortly.

Maine logger88

Looks good! Getting some progress on the store!

gww

I just want to play with all the bigg toys these threads always generate pictures of.
Cheers
gww

BargeMonkey

Quote from: gww on May 12, 2015, 08:42:20 PM
I just want to play with all the bigg toys these threads always generate pictures of.
Cheers
gww
It looks fun till you latch onto a decent tree on the side hill, this stuff is pretty long and you basically toss them. Store is going slowly, my toy shopping has been limited dramatically. Taking a small business class and meeting with my local bank on site when i get home, I think it will do well but kind of overwhelming right now. NY isnt the most business friendly especially when selling food + alcohol.  :D

gww

Yea, me and the wife ran a resturant for a couple of years and I was working full time.  I think if we would have added alcohol we could have did better then we did but we where already in our 40s and just started to late for the energy to last.  I still have the building rotting away and can't make myself do anything with it.

Only those who do it themselves know all the stuff that goes on out side of just what they see when walking through the doors of your buisness.

I was a cook in the army and I always liked playing with their equiptment to, not like my kitchen at home.  I don't want to do any of it 8 hours a day 6 days a week but it would be fun to tear up stuff as a hoby.  My dads back hoe is nothing like the big excavators and it is still fun as long as you don't have to try and make a living with it.

Cheers
gww

jwilly3879

Petroleum products can be a big pain also. My wife is upgrading the tanks and pumps soon on a contaminated site. Many eyes will be on the job, mostly DEC Engineers and consultants.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: jwilly3879 on May 12, 2015, 09:44:48 PM
Petroleum products can be a big pain also. My wife is upgrading the tanks and pumps soon on a contaminated site. Many eyes will be on the job, mostly DEC Engineers and consultants.
im dealing with a guy who sub contracts thru highland Tank. 2x 12kgal above ground tanks, double walled in a secondary steel containment. A good spill down here in the watershed would put me out quick. The cost on above ground gas tanks is crazy due to the 2hr UL listed requirements. Big piles of money for a few cents profit.  :D

Maine logger88

I am back on the rock pile and found a few more pine!

Straightgrain

Looks like a good size Woodlot ml88; a dream lot.

I dropped this guy yesterday during a deluge and finished bucking & delimbing it today.

28" at the trimmed base, Got two 21s (trunk and top) and a 13 from the middle; it's right next to the pad so I won't have to move the butt.

It was leaning so I used a plunge cut. The new 461 went through it like it was butter.

Then I felled this 18"er onto some Filberts...what a mess6

Got a 13 and a 37 footer.

Maine logger88

Yes it is a good sized lot with some nice big wood on it. I had one big tree with 2000bdft in it last summer 8)! It's real rocky so I have used it as a mud season lot the last couple years. Those are some nice looking trees! What's the older saw next to the 461? How do you like the 461? What's a filbert?

Straightgrain

The other saw is a 362 w/28"bar. I'm running what I think are semi-skip chains. I graduated from 3 McColloch 610s.....I still have a Mac 3216 for after 2PM when my arms become heavy....

Ah the Filberts..aka hazelnut; I have a few of the non-bearing trees left in the woodlot.....they have 25 or 30 stems (2 to 4 inch dia) that grow to 20 feet+. I cut them, burn the slash on the stumps then plant 3 or 4 firs where the Filbert umbrella previously blocked the light. 

Filbert makes suprizingly good wood fuel; hard as woodpecker lips.

BargeMonkey

Thats some big softwood, would add up quick, we rarely see WP or hemlock that big out here.

Straightgrain

Dropped a couple more firs today; exhausted by noon.

For the first time, I'm satisfied with the hinge, the lack of withdrawl, and, the tools I have. This saw is the 461 with the 32" bar.

I got a 13 foot butt, a 21 foot middle, and a 21 foot top (curl) that was above a snow-break.   

Thank You Sponsors!