iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeslayer2003

no HM maple here and you couldn't give soft maple away. it has to be oak hickory or cherry. for my own use, i round out tops from the large trees we take. i don't make a dent in what we leave behind........i just can't come home from the woods and bust all night any more. i have thought about those small machines but they are high for what they are.
i would like to build one but.....not the time right now, just to busy. if i could buy a small rugged machine for 5-10 i would have to think about that. i know a couple guys with big machines, they can;t cut enough. one even sells right off the yard, he don't deliver nuthin.
i her ya on tree length, i get that all the time. when i ask how they will unload it they are dumbfounded. no self loaders here.

Autocar

I was telling a friend of mine that Iam ashamed sometimes how much firewood I leave in the woods ,but working by myself I start out with good intension but into the job a few days and it turns into get the logs cut and trucked.
Bill

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Autocar on May 27, 2015, 07:57:57 PM
I was telling a friend of mine that Iam ashamed sometimes how much firewood I leave in the woods ,but working by myself I start out with good intension but into the job a few days and it turns into get the logs cut and trucked.
How do you guys heat your homes in the winter ? Sawlogs make up about 20% of what i skid out, we cut some softwood logs and pulp but rarely more than 1-2 nice trees in a hitch of wood. Takes 40 cord to heat my house, my parents and our sawmill a winter, and thats just scrap and junk wood we cant sell.

gww

barge
Hard to fire the stove with all the little scrap and it doesn't hold a fire all night like the bigger stuff. I have been leaving the big tops in the woods with good intentions that may never come to fruitation.  I am strickly small scale but still feel guilty.  My dad till last year used 12 to 14 cords a year and it took for ever to fire with small stuff. We always tried to cut it where we could just lift it and it would still fit in the stove door.  I only heat the garage now and will have to sell it if I end up cutting the tops up. 
gww

treeslayer2003

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 27, 2015, 11:28:04 PM
Quote from: Autocar on May 27, 2015, 07:57:57 PM
How do you guys heat your homes in the winter ? Sawlogs make up about 20% of what i skid out, we cut some softwood logs and pulp but rarely more than 1-2 nice trees in a hitch of wood. Takes 40 cord to heat my house, my parents and our sawmill a winter, and thats just scrap and junk wood we cant sell.
only takes about 4-5 cord here.

ga jones

There is also what's called scrag here. 55.00a ton at the mill. Any hard wood down to 7-8 inch. Crooked short doesn't matter. It's a way to get rid of poplar basswood aspen soft maple sycamore for me. Everything else I make firewood. It's not as lucrative here due to coal being the same price as wood..a ton of coal is equal to a cord of wood. 180.00 a ton for coal. 175.00 Tops for a cord cut and split.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Ken

We get only a very small % of sawlogs from our hardwood species.  Deciduous trees go to the local pulp mill although the firewood market is also seasonally strong.   Hardwood is merchandised to a 2-3 inch top.

I am currently harvesting some small cedar areas on a clients property.  He has some blowdown around the edges and wants to use the stumpage money to fix up his road network.  Very good quality eastern white cedar.   The one in the head was showing 17 3/4" in diameter at the butt.  Getting 36-40' of sawmaterial to a 6" top in the best ones.  Cutting 12' and 3 different 8' products

Lots of toys for working in the bush

BargeMonkey

Im always impressed when i see the CTL operations you guys run.  ;)  we went with a fixed head barsaw at the time because thats what we had seen run but the handwriting is on the wall down the road for it here on alot of jobs, insurance and lack of decent help. Our regional DEC is marking some huge pile of wood and its really geared towards the CTL guys, saw a bid sheet thats specified "forwarder only" the other day which knocks out 99% of the local guys here. Funniest thing about the bid sheet was it specifically stated "quarried stone", could not be screened crushed stone of the same quality from a local gravel pit, has to be trucked 35+ miles for the header.  ???

so il logger

As long as it work's, some of the tiny tree's that you guy's have to cut is our future crop around here. We rarely cut less than 20 in DBH, some of them bushes get cut for clearance but never go to the landing

Ken

Quote from: so il logger on May 31, 2015, 12:21:33 AM
We rarely cut less than 20 in DBH

I get all giggly when I get to cut something over 20"

eichenberg93

a few pictures from today, the best trees on the back of the Job are almost a half mile skid but are well worth it   

cutting some nice red oak   

Straightgrain

Butchering some fir that was too short to go to the mill.

X2 on the lower deck.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Maine logger88

Been awhile since I posted any pics so here's some hardwood

A few hitches of spruce studwood

I also traded some work with a mechanic friend to cut some pine for him with his skidder first time I've used a 440B much

And nothing to do with logging but after work I've been mowing fields for 3 or 4 hours most nights makes for a long day but a nice veiw

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

so il logger

Great pic's Maine Logger, some really pretty country there  8)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

I always like your photos MaineLogger. That is indeed a nice pine.

This is the pine I am cutting. Feeding the neighbors OWB. No money in it but I am lucky to be able to get rid of it.

gg

Maine logger88

Thanks guys! gman that tree in the bottom pic looks like it could have a few logs or is there just no market for white pine there?

g_man

Well it looks a lot better laying down than standing up  :D

gg

Maine logger88

Ahh ya I couldn't see a that bad part in the pic

Straightgrain

Very professional g_man; rigging, swamp-out, & pics
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

jd540b

Ed_K

Been working a side hill this week,it's getting hard for me to climb.

got some of it cut.

and this is what I ended up with for a half a days cutting.

Ed K

Ken

That looks like some pretty steep ground there Ed_K.  Unfortunately that seems to be the only place where some big timber is left.

Maine logger88

Nice looking stuff! Steep places are always fun 2x as much work as flat lol. What brand tractor?

Ed_K

Tractor is a 5860 4x4 Landini, or a blue massy  ;D made in italy.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!