Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

so il logger

Ron Scott

~Ron

ehp

stuff I'm cutting right now is average of just under 500 feet per tree , big stuff is around 800 to 1000 but once you put in the under size stuff the forester wants you to take it brings the average down , some bushes thou its about 250 to 300 feet average per tree , mostly cut hardwood but when white pine market is good then I cut it . Around here pine is not worth much until the one mill needs it then price doubles but that only happens maybe a couple months a year if that lately , Right now I'm really feeling we are just sitting on the fence , market could stay the way it is but also could crash hard , white ash took a $200/1000 hit on clear lumber today and red oak is down . Am happy I saved a bunch of bushes with soft maple in it to cut as that market has really come on hard , Good soft maple right now is worth about the same as good red oak here right now

ehp

ehp

ehp

The Boss making sure the job is getting done proper

ehp

ehp

black walnut going to the buyer , not a great log but big and paid well I think, that log went to Germany

ehp

I just log by myself , I think mainly cause I donot play well with others and like things done my way , I'm getting old and have had a pile of operations so I'm not no where near as good as I use to be . If I put out 25,000 feet of good timber a week in this heat I'm ok with that if I got to put out 40,000 plus feet a week I can still get that done but it takes me alot more hours to do compared to before . At 25,000 feet I'm making a good living I feel , I will not get rich but I'm doing a job I love to do and I do what I want to do

coxy

do you have to keep rubbing it in  :D :D :D    the pics of the little guys are price less good to see they like being with dad in the woods  ;D and ya nice trees  :) :) :) :)

beenthere

ehp
Nice pics of logs. Many butt cuts you've shown and see little to no evidence that you leave a hinge.
What is your style of dropping a tree? just curious from trying to read your cutting sequence.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lopet

Quote from: ehp on June 26, 2015, 09:08:08 PM
I'm doing a job I love to do and I do what I want to do

That's all what matters !

Nice pics
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

so il logger

I can tell by the butt cut that I cut more less the same way.  ;) I try to leave less hold wood but every scenario is different. Very nice tree's and a good job cutting them  :)  Even if it wasn't GOL...... More ways than one to skin a cat or so they say  8)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Clark

I don't think I've ever seen soft maple with such tiny hearts. Amazing!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Clark on June 27, 2015, 10:35:24 AM
I don't think I've ever seen soft maple with such tiny hearts. Amazing!

Clark
we have some here with small to no heart..........for the first time ever i got veneer price for some last winter, so his assessment of price being up for that is correct.

looks like hes cuttting the hinge off, i did that for years.

the red oak in his last posts i would not get veneer for, to wavy and to much sap wood. markets are different every where.

ehp

the red oak is just sawlog stuff , the bigger stuff I get paid $100/1000 extra if I cut it into length to make timbers out of it , At that price its almost the same as what I get for veneer plus can cut it up to 32 ft in legth and I donot have to load the veneer truck so I donot sell much red oak veneer . Now white oak is different as they pay alot more for it . The soft maple is like that pretty much around here , if no worm its white . I will try and find some of the pictures from last fall . That soft maple was pretty nice and lots had no to very small heart . I know the mills bid alot higher for it than what I figured I would get . As far as hinge goes . if I'm on a side hill I have a hinge then trim it off , on flat ground not much of a hinge but the mill likes the butts nice so I do the best I can to keep them happy . I have been told by quite a few veneer buyers that the hard maple here is very high grade as long as its growing on sand

Maine logger88

That's some nice sized stuff we hardly ever get hardwood with that much footage in it in my area!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ehp

hard to believe buts this is hard maple , pretty dark out when taking the pic, timber that goes on sand look different than on clay

ehp

ehp

ehp

got lots of pics , the real nice soft maple is on the other older  computer so will have to figure how to gets them over to this one . Its so dam wet here my landing is under water and lots of the field

pep

Ehp, nice looking wood.  Sure wish we had hardwood like that up here. Have to be around North Bay and south to see wood like that.  Keep posting the pics

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

ehp

Know Cobalt pretty good , fish up in that area quite abit

NH-Murph

:D

My better half needed materials for a fence project...

Thank You Sponsors!