iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

just some pics from today and yes its sound , that seem hardly went into the wood

ehp

thats about all my old girl wanted to lift , another couple hundred pounds and I'm sure it would of said no  ;D

ehp

longtime lurker

Picked up a 50 cube (25mbf) run of small Queensland Maple (Flindersia brayleyana from a salvage job and dragged them back to the mill. It's no relation to what you guys call maple... its a tropical rainforest hardwood. It smells kinda like maple syrup though, which is probably why it got the name. Small logs at the barely worth sawing end of the scale for the most part, excepting one that was about half grown. (yah, truely... I know it looks big, but its just a baby yet)

Obviously that one is going to sit on the truck until the loader gets home to lift it off. We attempt some crazy stuff with that poor little forklift but that one there is in the "don't even try" class
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

coxy

you call that tree little  :o :o :o ;D  I feel sorry for the truck   if you got caught with that tree on that truck here in ny state they would throw the book at you and throw the key away at the same time  :D :D :D but I like the pics  :)

longtime lurker

Quote from: coxy on July 17, 2015, 09:06:53 PM
you call that tree little  :o :o :o ;D  I feel sorry for the truck   if you got caught with that tree on that truck here in ny state they would throw the book at you and throw the key away at the same time  :D :D :D but I like the pics  :)

He's just over 36" dbh and 28' long. The truck is legal with 10t and 26'... So I'm 24" over length, and definitely not overweight.... Well except for the stack of little guys I had packed around him to take up the slack to the bolsters. :D

He's a "good" maple.... Big enough to be worth the headache, not that big he's a problem child. A big maple will run at 5' dbh and twice that length. You can dock them back but at that girth even 20 foot lengths are  big enough to break things.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

beenthere

Are you wanting 28' lumber from that log?  Must, or you would have bucked it shorter.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

longtime lurker

Quote from: beenthere on July 18, 2015, 03:16:59 AM
Are you wanting 28' lumber from that log?  Must, or you would have bucked it shorter.

20's. But I'd blown a hose on the top clamp of the loader,and anything under 8'6" falls straight through between the fork tynes if you can't pin it with the clamp.

Ken

We've still been cleaning up from a storm over a year ago.  The softwood that was blown over is unmarketable now but many of the hardwood and poplar blew over rootball and all so they are still in relatively good shape. Although it has been a real pain to clean up, the storm has convinced a lot of landowners that their woodlot may not live forever which has helped with keeping lots of work ahead

Parts of the woodlot we are currently working on was a Christmas tree plantation nearly 40 years ago.  Relatively heavy stand of balsam fir.  The parts still standing are averaging 35 - 40 cords/acre.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

1270d

How has the machine been working for you Ken?

Ken

Quote from: barbender on July 31, 2015, 12:27:33 AM
Wow, 35-40 an acre is a lot for balsam.

The volume is there where the wood is still standing but we are not merchandizing all the pulpwood.  Those markets are very poor this year. 

Quote from: 1270d on July 31, 2015, 06:34:24 PM
How has the machine been working for you Ken?

For the most part the Deere harvester has been good to me although there are only 2350 hours on the clock.   My warranty expired a couple of days ago so time will tell.  The Timberjack forwarder with 37000+ hours has been a different story lately.  Sure wish I could justify a new one.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

1270d

barbender

Quote from: 1270d on August 01, 2015, 09:07:41 PM
Whew! That's a lot of hours.   

No kidding! We have a couple that are up around 20,000 hours, but that doesn't even compare ;)
Too many irons in the fire

coxy

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

1270d

Quote from: coxy on August 02, 2015, 02:28:46 PM
how many miles do you think it has on it  8)

My harvester has 2 million feet on it at 1600 hours.  Forwarder probably travels 4 x the distance of a harvester.  So it should have an average speed of around 1 mph.   37000 miles..

ehp

ehp

Both soft maple left  tree  just above water table , right tree about 15 feet from other tree but growing in water , sure can see the colour difference in the wood

BargeMonkey

Neighbors aren't to thrilled.  ;) stumping right up to the road. 

Log prices are still way down. 

Put the skid roads in on a 60acre job, shipped a little wood, waiting on log prices to come back before I ship anymore off this one. Have more logs to ship than I know what to do with, just not giving them away.

Maine logger88

I am recutting a lot I cut a few years back I have no idea why I left this red oak but it's a nice one 44" on the butt

BargeMonkey

Maine logger88

Yeah I wish I had more like it but it's mostly firewood and small logs on this lot. Nice looking stuff your cutting! With that yard loader you can sure pile up a lot of wood in a small spot!

BargeMonkey

Put that pile up in 1 day, not bad all by myself with a small cable and a 30-45min skid. Been doing the 7am till very dark thing every day. About 300+ cord ahead on FW right now, would like another 300 sitting here by Nov. Doing 2lds of fw and a few good logs every day, on 15-20gal of fuel, can't beat that.

ehp

when you say prices are down , if you can say what down price is from what you were getting , Here only hard maple and red oak are down just abit at the one mill and the other mill the price never changed , soft maple is up alot here , cherry is up as well and white ash . Pine is down but never is up during the summer time here

Thank You Sponsors!