iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo33

Some more..

that first on is 15 white walnuts that had over 16000 ft in them. Adds up quick with trees like that. Second is the mascot on bucking day
I know I was born and I know I will die, the in between is mine, I am mine

Ken

I got some big ones on my site as well although they are worth far less than those nice Walnut of Solo33.  These ones are headed to the local pulp mill.  Only have to travel a couple of kms on public roads and the remainder company roads so loaded heavy and leaving early with over 38 mt payload.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Solo33

I know I was born and I know I will die, the in between is mine, I am mine

Straightgrain

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

so il logger

Quote from: Solo33 on October 17, 2015, 06:41:30 PM
I call cottonwood..white walnut haha

I wasn't going to say anything.... haha

I do like cutting cottonwood, long as they aren't full of water.  ;D

g_man

I have some White Pine like this that the tops broke out of in a big wind last summer

This is a change of pace from the balsam fir I have been cutting and a workout for my 30 hp tractor.

I took the top two logs out one at a time for the first hitch. A 12' and a 10'.
Here is a short video of the second log and my self release snatch block.

https://youtu.be/FolkTDUZvi4

I will get two 10's from the butt log

The stump is back there somewhere. It is nice not having much limbing  :D

gg

brendonv

Always enjoy your photos. Impressive.

Will that tractor drag that 20' butt log?  Im curious seeing it at its limits if you have had a chance for a vid.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

g_man

Quote from: brendonv on October 19, 2015, 08:34:17 PM
Always enjoy your photos. Impressive.

Will that tractor drag that 20' butt log?  Im curious seeing it at its limits if you have had a chance for a vid.

Thanks and it did

gg

Autocar

Nice flat stump and low to the ground good job !
Bill

tmbrcruiser

Cypress timber cut on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. This tree had a DBH of 57" and was a 74' log.
Diameter of the stump averaged over 7'.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

treeslayer2003

pocamoke? i am tryin to figure out who them boys are........name start with S?

that is impressive. i cut a poplar years ago slightly fatter but shorter.
what kind of market is there for that cypress? i have asked others here but never got a good enough answer to try and buy any.

Plankton

That self release snatched block is really cool. Nice wood.

ga jones

Just curious What the butt looked like on that Cyprus. Never seen one before
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

tmbrcruiser

Hi Treeslayer, yes that is the S brothers. We are cutting near Willards just off the Pocomoke River drainage. Not much of a market for cypress. I bought the tract three years ago when we had one customer who would take the lumber. That buyer doesn't want the lumber anymore so I bought the logs from Alan and plan on milling them myself. If you look on the sawmill forum their are pics of the shop and mill building that are being built. Will post some more pics that show the heart of the cypress. That log was 74' with 20" top, DBH was 57", makes the tree scale around 4,000 bf.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on October 20, 2015, 07:49:04 PM
Hi Treeslayer, yes that is the S brothers. We are cutting near Willards just off the Pocomoke River drainage. Not much of a market for cypress. I bought the tract three years ago when we had one customer who would take the lumber. That buyer doesn't want the lumber anymore so I bought the logs from Alan and plan on milling them myself. If you look on the sawmill forum their are pics of the shop and mill building that are being built. Will post some more pics that show the heart of the cypress. That log was 74' with 20" top, DBH was 57", makes the tree scale around 4,000 bf.
i'll be dang, there is at least one other guy around here running a long bar and looks like a full wrap handle. you tell him George's nephew says good job!  ;)
on the cypress, that is why i always shyed away from it........not sure what to do with it. even JL didn't seem to keen on taking any. same with white cedar.
i will check out your mill pics.

Puffergas

Quote from: tmbrcruiser
Cypress timber cut on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. This tree had a DBH of 57" and was a 74' log.
Diameter of the stump averaged over 7'.
/quote]

That must have made a big sound when it hit the ground....
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

tmbrcruiser

Here are few more pics that show the hearts of the cypress. Very nice lumber!

78NHTFY

G-man--nice pics & big sticks!  Do you load those onto your 1-ton & take to the mill?  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

treeslayer2003

its hard to believe there is no market.........100 years ago it would be highly coveted lumber. you would think there would be at least a strong export market.
it don't look like what i thought it would, can't wait to see the milled lumber.

g_man

Quote from: 78NHTFY on October 22, 2015, 08:15:34 AM
G-man--nice pics & big sticks!  Do you load those onto your 1-ton & take to the mill?  All the best, Rob.

I am. But I would not call them big sticks from what I see on this thread. However things are relative, so to me they are very big sticks. Here is a picture story loading the truck. The butt log I couldn't even pick one end off the ground with the tractor. Picked up one end and backed under. The top log was the only one I could load with the grapple.

gg

ga jones

Sometimes even when the buyer finds a market for odd stuff you still don't like it. I sold a veneer red elm last year. 20 inch dbh. $80.00....... That's nice timber
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Autocar

Is that the same type cypress that grows down in the south low lands ? I remember a mill west of Holt Florida that only sawed cypress and they seemed to have a excellent market fot the lumber. For sure a dandy stick they sure are fun to cut thats for sure thanks for scharing your pictures.
Bill

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Autocar on October 22, 2015, 06:39:21 PM
Is that the same type cypress that grows down in the south low lands ? I remember a mill west of Holt Florida that only sawed cypress and they seemed to have a excellent market fot the lumber. For sure a dandy stick they sure are fun to cut thats for sure thanks for scharing your pictures.
yes sir, bald cypress i think.

OH logger

john

tmbrcruiser

G-man those are some very nice sticks you are loading, I am sure they will cut some beautiful lumber. That large cypress was the largest tree I've see cut in the 43 years I've been working in the woods. Cut some with nearly same DBH just not as tall.

Thank You Sponsors!