iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

This is my typical manuever when I get into a sidehill situation, hang the crane off the high side. If things are really sketchy I have a bucket of wood hanging for more weight. Too much of that in a day and the hind end will be sore from trying to pinch onto the seat (high pucker factor) :)
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Following another forwarder, we have two on this job. We are actually contracting for another CTL outfit, their forwarder broke down, and with 2 processors in front of it, they have a lot of wood on the ground. 1200 to 1400 cords  :o I was hoping to have some 100 cord days out here, but between the hilly terrain and this December rainy season we're having (having to haul strategically to avoid rutting, and spending time fixing areas where rutting did occur) 60 cords has been about all I'm getting per day.

barbender

And then there are these days :) I didn't have any cardboard or anything to lay on, so you will note my judicious use of balsam boughs ;D

lopet

Sometimes you gotta use what's available. :)     60 cord isn't bad at all, at least for me. ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Firewoodjoe

I drive a truck like that with all those tires. It's fun always something going on. Especially when your going on 2, 3 sometimes I've gone 7 miles of woods roads with loads like that. Due to only having two 9 foot spreads like the photo I'm aloud 159,000. That's enough most days. And hard enough to keep it legal weight haha!

chevytaHOE5674

One of the last loads our trucker hauled out before this "spring thaw" occurred scaled out at 184,000 lbs.... Just a tad over legal  :D.

Our current job is 14 miles of woods road before you get to a county gravel road and then another 3 miles to blacktop.

barbender

Firewoodjoe

Chevytahoe u must be in the U.P then. That's a lot of roads. And yeah the weight is sometimes hard to judge. Our logs a scaled not by weight I'm sure we've been real heavy with those. The pulp is weighed and I've been a tad over a time or two:)

wannaergo

I'm not going to say who the trucker is, but we have seen mill slips with 11.5mbf of logs, and 70 tons of pulp. They have scaled in at almost 200,000 lbs. Somehow, they usually don't get caught. I've heard of them getting popped once when they went into Wisconsin, and it ended up costing about $3500 per truck.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah the good ole UP. There was talk of moving us to a job that was 23 miles off the blacktop... Luckily that idea has passed. ha

A friend of mine runs truck and sent me a picture of a scale slip a few weeks back at 197,xxx lbs. He also sent me the picture at 4am after he just got unloaded. A lot of guys that run heavy like to run short with logs during the day, then really load on the pulp and run at night. Eventually they all get caught though.

Woodhauler

Back in the day I used to gross in 100,000 pounds plus every load with my tri-axle self loader truck in maine! Now I try to run legal, 75900! Saves on fines and repairs. I had biggest loads in most mills on self loader tri axle truck around. Hauled this on a 1985 gmc general, handled it like a dream. Truck only weighed 32000 pounds empty.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

BargeMonkey

I maybe 3-5% over legal sometimes but the days of hauling loads over the bunks are done around here. Wagner won't take more than 6-7k ft max on a truck and pup now. We have turned away alot of the junk trucks from our pit because guys want to run heavy, after your tailgate come open and leaves material a 2nd time your done, have a sweeper on hand now just for that problem. I've got trouble getting my truck in on alot of jobs, I don't know how you guys do it with those.  :D

Firewoodjoe

Haha 18 gears, quad lock, and 5-600 hp. Gets you a ways. Then you get out the 2-300 hp skidders! 😜 I can't believe what they will go through and I fire her back up at 3 am for more!

kylebal

Plankton

coxy

with cutting all that spruce was wondering if your hands are stuck to the saw  ;D

Plankton

Just about haha but I sure smell good at the end of the day to make up for it !

coxy

you must be smelling a lot like Christmas these days then  :) :)

Woodhauler

Quote from: Plankton on December 19, 2015, 10:45:57 AM
Just about haha but I sure smell good at the end of the day to make up for it !
new market working out for you?
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Plankton

Yeah, I'm going to call my first truck or two beggining of the week. Been raining here so it took me a longer then I would have liked to get some wood together.

Nice people too deal with too, thanks again for hooking me up.

lshobie

We cut a big old oak tree to slab for table tops, but I'm cutting mainly spruce for milling - building our own cottage and garage next year.

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

highway

Quote from: lshobie on December 21, 2015, 09:31:33 AM
We cut a big old oak tree to slab for table tops, but I'm cutting mainly spruce for milling - building our own cottage and garage next year.

I am curious, do you have trouble with blade deflection while cutting spruce?
2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

g_man

Finally have a little snow. Just started a new spot and it is a little softer than I had hoped. Won't be getting any better soon. Rain tomorrow and in the 50's Christmas Eve ????

gg

lshobie

Quote from: highway on December 21, 2015, 09:53:12 AM
Quote from: lshobie on December 21, 2015, 09:31:33 AM

I am curious, do you have trouble with blade deflection while cutting spruce?

Not so far, we did on some pine with big knots once though.
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

landscraper

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 13, 2015, 10:06:34 AM
Yeah the good ole UP. There was talk of moving us to a job that was 23 miles off the blacktop... Luckily that idea has passed. ha

A friend of mine runs truck and sent me a picture of a scale slip a few weeks back at 197,xxx lbs. He also sent me the picture at 4am after he just got unloaded. A lot of guys that run heavy like to run short with logs during the day, then really load on the pulp and run at night. Eventually they all get caught though.

If an 5 axle/18-wheel truck and trailer combo hauling logs got caught at 197,000 in Virginia without a trip permit to be over 80,000lbs the fine would be ..... $0.45 a pound (triple rate for being 50% over gross permitted) just for the overweight - so $52,650.00.  Then for each axle that was carrying over 20,000 there would be an additional $0.30-$0.90 per pound (sliding scale depending on how far over permitted weight each axle or axle group is) of excess axle weight.  So, add another insane amount.  By the way, those are the reduced fine amounts for forestry products.  It's 5 to 15 cents more a pound for other cargo types.   They run the scales somewhere in my county nearly every week.  The scale man has a creeper and a flashlight too. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Thank You Sponsors!