The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 801160 times)

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #860 on: February 04, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »
 Im in schoharie county which is loaded with rock, especially the southern end. Old foundations and cemeteries everywhere, especially on the large chunks of state land. Life had to be pretty tough back then, I think if you made 30 yrs old you where doing pretty good.  :D

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #861 on: February 04, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
about 6-7 years ago I was told by a guy that was 98y old that the walls u see with a row of flat with a point sticking up was to hold goats in something about there bellys would rub on the points and they would back down and not go over  :-\ his familys farm had about 3miles of walls like that      and apparently that's what they told him     the hole farm was 1200a with about 500 of it woods and I was TOLD NOT TO DAMAGE ANY OF THE WALLS  or I was going to get his#10 boot up my      :o :o :)

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #862 on: February 04, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »
 I know in VT alot of the foresters make you fix a wall if you damage it. I try to avoid disturbing them, but it was the wall or 5-6x small oak.  :D this private road is all chopped up in 10-40 acre parcels, DEP owns about 1/2 of it, was cut about 20 yrs ago quick, it's getting the real haircut this time.   ;) 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #863 on: February 04, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »
I have "heard" that about stone walls here to. But that might be a property line stone wall too. I have some that go through the woods,but I own both sides of the wall.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #864 on: February 04, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »
a few yrs back there was talk of passing a law against removing stone walls. about the time the rich an famous from camden thought it would look nice to have new stone walls built from old walls. the rocks had to have the weathered look and if it had moss on it it was worth much more. i hauled a load of rock to great cranberry island down off northeast harbor. 14yds placed in the dump body by hand. the ferry turned out to be a barge just big enought for the truck lashed to a 28ft wooden lobster boat

Offline DRB

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #865 on: February 04, 2016, 10:46:52 PM »
Im in schoharie county which is loaded with rock, especially the southern end. Old foundations and cemeteries everywhere, especially on the large chunks of state land. Life had to be pretty tough back then, I think if you made 30 yrs old you where doing pretty good.  :D

I think people were just tougher then, my Great Great Great grandparents are buried in Shoharie county NY.  He only lived to 61 dying in 1840 but she died in 1871 at 90. At least 6  of their 12 kids lived past 80 but one only made 12 days.   The fields back there grow rocks.  Every spring plowing there would be a new set of rocks.  You could never clear a field completely the frost pushed them up during the winter. It would have been very much a struggle to farm.  Its why my great great Grandfather moved to NW Ohio there are almost no rocks there the land is easy to farm once the 5 to 6 foot Diameter oaks had been cleared. If I remember my geography correct Northern NY state is where the glaciers from the last ice age melted leaving rocks everywhere. Now the part of NW Ohio I came from was once the bottom of Lake Erie and is all sediment from that.

Offline David-L

• Senior Member x2
  • present and accounted for.
    • Share Post
« Reply #866 on: February 05, 2016, 06:32:06 AM »
Some people see a pile of rocks that equate to dollar signs, I see history that was built by farmers and early landowners who were living off the land. Can't tell anyone else what to do but all the walls on my property are here to stay as it's written in my will for perpetuity.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #867 on: February 05, 2016, 10:18:06 AM »
Can't tell anyone else what to do but all the walls on my property are here to stay as it's written in my will for perpetuity.

And that perpetuity ends when someone else becomes owner.   ;)  Right?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #868 on: February 05, 2016, 10:59:41 AM »
Yep this is what I cut this week,  8) not a single tree , way to wet

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #869 on: February 05, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »
Yep this is what I cut this week,  8) not a single tree , way to wet
I like that,  :D  no shame in your game.

Offline Lumberjohn

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #870 on: February 05, 2016, 11:36:04 AM »
Doesnt hurt to metal detect around them, owners sometimes hid money and such in them. Im sure kids/people played on them sometimes loosing change. I have some around my area and they are a beauty, for sure. They sure have lost their shape over time though.

Offline g_man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #871 on: February 05, 2016, 04:33:06 PM »
Our town was sectioned off into 100 acres parcels 1500' by 3000' way back. Most of these boundaries are rock walls so you get straight walls going for miles. Disappearing and then reappearing. Plus all the farm walls too. I like them. I have a 100 A boundary wall. In the past a skidder just ran over it on a main trail. Spread rocks all over. I could barely get my tractor through there for all the rocks so I pushed a hole thru with my TD7 and then rebuilt the wall in respect for the old timers who first built it. Now I have a nice old wall and a good trail.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #872 on: February 05, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »
them old timers shur  new how to lay round rocks flat  never seen a wall like what you have with all the rounds and there big

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #873 on: February 05, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »

I think people were just tougher then, my Great Great Great grandparents are buried in Shoharie county NY.  He only lived to 61 dying in 1840 but she died in 1871 at 90. At least 6  of their 12 kids lived past 80 but one only made 12 days.   The fields back there grow rocks.  Every spring plowing there would be a new set of rocks.  You could never clear a field completely the frost pushed them up during the winter. It would have been very much a struggle to farm.  Its why my great great Grandfather moved to NW Ohio there are almost no rocks there the land is easy to farm once the 5 to 6 foot Diameter oaks had been cleared. If I remember my geography correct Northern NY state is where the glaciers from the last ice age melted leaving rocks everywhere. Now the part of NW Ohio I came from was once the bottom of Lake Erie and is all sediment from that.

where did you come from in NW ohio??
john

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #874 on: February 05, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »
coxy,pay g-man a visit to see his stone walls and than come see mine.  ;D  His look like mine. I had a real pretty wall where I had the house built. Really the best looking one on my land. Most rocks was just about the size of my head and the wall was built about 4 feet wide and about 3 feet high. Most of mine have all sizes in them. My Father had a couple fields rocked after The War. There are some bigs ones along the wall now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline DRB

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #875 on: February 05, 2016, 10:56:35 PM »

where did you come from in NW ohio??

Waterville

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #876 on: February 06, 2016, 06:04:55 AM »
Looking at the walls will tell you if the land around was plowed or not.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline g_man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #877 on: February 06, 2016, 08:34:44 AM »
Been working on a view to the north enhancement cut. The view is thru a narrow band of pine on the right side of the trail. I started by removing the hardwood from the pine.  A little video doing that. We had snow a week ago.

I thought I might make it around those small fir but no. Rather than try to mow them over and leave a mess in the middle of the trail I walked down and cut them. Then let the hitch push them to the side off the trail.

Up top on my landing.

Then on the left side of the trail I am cutting a clear patch. Set up the snatch block in the corner and started clearing left to right. Down to bare ground now but it is still solid even with the warm rain we had. I had to let it rest a while though. The clearing is deeper than it looks because the hill drops off so quick.  You can't see all the tops I left. This is yesterday. Tractor in the same spot.

gg

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #878 on: February 06, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
for a small winch that thing pulls good  I say small compared to the skidder  I like how you use the strap on the snatch block so not to bark the trees  :) be safe       coxy

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #879 on: February 06, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »
G-Man- you do nice work.  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
by dustyjay
xx
First post and a couple of questions

Started by peter nap on Ask The Forester

20 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 06:24:18 PM
by Jeff