Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRB

Quote from: OH logger on February 05, 2016, 08:30:45 PM
Quote from: DRB on February 04, 2016, 10:46:52 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 04, 2016, 02:00:05 PM
Im in schoharie county which is loaded with rock, especially the southern end. Old foundations and cemeteries everywhere, especially on the large chunks of state land. Life had to be pretty tough back then, I think if you made 30 yrs old you where doing pretty good.  :D

I think people were just tougher then, my Great Great Great grandparents are buried in Shoharie county NY.  He only lived to 61 dying in 1840 but she died in 1871 at 90. At least 6  of their 12 kids lived past 80 but one only made 12 days.   The fields back there grow rocks.  Every spring plowing there would be a new set of rocks.  You could never clear a field completely the frost pushed them up during the winter. It would have been very much a struggle to farm.  Its why my great great Grandfather moved to NW Ohio there are almost no rocks there the land is easy to farm once the 5 to 6 foot Diameter oaks had been cleared. If I remember my geography correct Northern NY state is where the glaciers from the last ice age melted leaving rocks everywhere. Now the part of NW Ohio I came from was once the bottom of Lake Erie and is all sediment from that.

where did you come from in NW ohio??

Waterville

Peter Drouin

Looking at the walls will tell you if the land around was plowed or not.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

g_man

Been working on a view to the north enhancement cut. The view is thru a narrow band of pine on the right side of the trail. I started by removing the hardwood from the pine.  A little video doing that. We had snow a week ago.

http://youtu.be/wdWyFfLLQr4

I thought I might make it around those small fir but no. Rather than try to mow them over and leave a mess in the middle of the trail I walked down and cut them. Then let the hitch push them to the side off the trail.

http://youtu.be/zhpBKKIfH88

Up top on my landing.

Then on the left side of the trail I am cutting a clear patch. Set up the snatch block in the corner and started clearing left to right. Down to bare ground now but it is still solid even with the warm rain we had. I had to let it rest a while though. The clearing is deeper than it looks because the hill drops off so quick.  You can't see all the tops I left. This is yesterday. Tractor in the same spot.

gg

coxy

for a small winch that thing pulls good  I say small compared to the skidder  I like how you use the strap on the snatch block so not to bark the trees  :) be safe       coxy

BargeMonkey

thecfarm

That looks good. I bought back 7 acres of The Farm. I might of cleared off a ½ acre. There was mostly hardwood. Sold it for pulp. The little softwood went into a burn pile. This was all before the OWB. Cut the stumps down low and we are mowing it. I am working on getting the rocks out of it. Slow on digging the rocks out. Some was on top of the ground and not much bigger than my head. Only mowed around them for almost 10 years.  ::) Am just about done where I can mow. I've been doing some with a push mower because it's so rough. It's a hard place to do much,all my water goes down there and stops. Now we can see the field across the road from the house. I hope to level out some of it this year. It's a on going project.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwilly3879

A load of hardwood logs leaving for the mill

Nine hours this weekend for a nice pile of Hemlock pulp

finding the trail

BargeMonkey

jwilly3879

Some of it is shaky but the only market for logs is Canada. Finch is paying $102/cord as pulp so that's where it goes.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: jwilly3879 on February 07, 2016, 08:52:32 PM
Some of it is shaky but the only market for logs is Canada. Finch is paying $102/cord as pulp so that's where it goes.
Still a nice pile for 9hrs. Still so much big old hemlock out there. You having trouble getting loads thru right now ? Didn't know how much wood they had sitting there.

barbender

Swamp landing, with the old Dodge for perspective ;) This job has Aspen, Black Spruce, Tamarack,  Balsam, and a little Birch and Black Ash.

Too many irons in the fire

jwilly3879

Finch has a lot of wood in the yard but the trucker said they are afraid of an early breakup. Just started to freeze up the skid roads here but there is also a lot of water in the ground.

Cut up all that pulp and only had to sharpen 3 times, that was nice.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

I like CTL pictures like that.  ;)  watched this guy down the road just walk thru 2+ million ft of redpine in a very short period of time, told me he was doing 100mbdft a day average without pushing it, I felt like a child who just watched his dog get run over. I've been on so many lowgrade lots lately I wouldn't know what good wood looks like.
I've been averaging 800 ish a load for hemlock pulp sent up north, none on these next couple jobs, kind of hemlock-ed out.  :D

barbender

And my helper Walt-

He comes with me most days, the last few days I ran another guy's machine so I left Walt home (trying to be conscientious ). Walt didn't like it one bit, my wife said he went around the house whining all day :( :D

barbender

Barge, we pretty much just speak in cords up here, whenever we get into mbf we're all scratching our heads trying to make sense of it  :P :D  100mbf would be around 200 cords, right? That is killer production, it must have been pine in the 18-22" dbh range? We had a final felling of some really nice Red pine once with our big harvester (Ponsse Bear). There were 2 forwarders behind him, AND a grapple skidder skidding poles out :o They were figuring he was cutting 300 cords a day if I remember correctly.

Decked

He looks like Yoda, trying to get that "force" to work    :D

barbender

This site had a lot of blowdown on it, so a feller buncher was brought in to go ahead of the processor. We don't often do this, and with a new kid in the buncher, I don't know if we gained anything. The sale had been hit by straight line winds, after the buncher went through it looked like a tornado had also passed through :)

Decked, poor ol' Walt isn't much to look at. I heard down south he would be referred to as "bless his heart" ugly  ;D

Corley5

What lineage is Walt?  Pug? Boston Terrier?  We've got a Pug.  She's puggly  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: beenthere on February 03, 2016, 09:08:13 PM
NW Ohio must not have rocks...  ;D

I can tell you we had plenty there when I grew up. Minnesota was worse. The big one there was the size of a small house. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

barbender

Quote from: Corley5 on February 07, 2016, 10:17:08 PM
What lineage is Walt?  Pug? Boston Terrier?  We've got a Pug.  She's puggly  ;) ;D

Walt is a "Bugg", a Boston Terrier/Pug cross. His brother, Oscar, is also part of the family.  Oscar has more of the "so ugly he's cute" thing going on, where poor Walt is so ugly you feel sorry for him. He has quite an under bite, so his bottom teeth usually stick out- unless, of course, his tongue is sticking out (which it usually is) ;)

Mesquite, what part of MN did you live in?  We have a pretty wide variety of soil types thanks to the glaciers. We live on sand, no rocks at all. Other areas, nothing but rocks.

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Dave Shepard

$102 a cord is about $200 a thousand Int. right? That's about what good pine sawlogs bring around here delivered to the yard, at least the last time I looked into it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: jwilly3879 on February 07, 2016, 08:52:32 PM
how many tons would your cord way?

Thank You Sponsors!