iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeslayer2003

plankton, would a sizwheel not have worked in them white pine? just wondering if ya could got more swing that way, that twin was prolly tricky no mater what.

RHP Logging

Looked like he got the pull out of the stump he needed.  I would guess action got killed by the trees on the right.  Maybe a little limb brushing on the left slowed things down too.  Sizwheel never hurts tho. 
Buckin in the woods

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 21, 2016, 10:45:20 AM
Looked like he got the pull out of the stump he needed.  I would guess action got killed by the trees on the right.  Maybe a little limb brushing on the left slowed things down too.  Sizwheel never hurts tho.
yeah i got no clue how white pine fiber acts either, only ever cut a few. cut like butter so i would doubt it holds real good. idk.

coxy

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 21, 2016, 08:48:22 AM
plankton, would a sizwheel not have worked in them white pine? just wondering if ya could got more swing that way, that twin was prolly tricky no mater what.
they look like hemlock to me  :) :)

snowstorm

Quote from: coxy on June 21, 2016, 04:26:54 PM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 21, 2016, 08:48:22 AM
they look like hemlock to me  :) :)
it sure is

Plankton

I could have and probably should have thrown in a sizwheel, might have helped.
I'm still in the experimental phase with the sizwheel and I'm not confident with the technique enough to be able to fully utilize it. Didn't even cross my mind, might have helped those fibers stay put for a little longer.

In the lean out before the swing the branches brushed a few tops on there way and killed its momentum that and the fact that the seam in between the doubles ran into my pull wood I think is reason it didn't go as far as it should have.

Yes they are Hemlock trees. sometimes they pull like crazy and rip the roots out of the ground and sometimes they snap the hinge before I want them too. Almost seems that the larger ones are more brittle.

RHP Logging

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 21, 2016, 03:51:24 PM
Quote from: RHP Logging on June 21, 2016, 10:45:20 AM
yeah i got no clue how white pine fiber acts either, only ever cut a few. cut like butter so i would doubt it holds real good. idk.

Ive never cut a big white pine.  Never cut hemlock. 
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Quote from: Plankton on June 21, 2016, 06:14:49 PM
I could have and probably should have thrown in a sizwheel, might have helped.
I'm still in the experimental phase with the sizwheel and I'm not confident with the technique enough to be able to fully utilize it. Didn't even cross my mind, might have helped those fibers stay put for a little longer.

In the lean out before the swing the branches brushed a few tops on there way and killed its momentum that and the fact that the seam in between the doubles ran into my pull wood I think is reason it didn't go as far as it should have.

Yes they are Hemlock trees. sometimes they pull like crazy and rip the roots out of the ground and sometimes they snap the hinge before I want them too. Almost seems that the larger ones are more brittle.

Red oaks I cut get like that.  Sometimes they pull real well. Sometimes they break off easily. Gotta be age and how the grain lays.
Buckin in the woods

BargeMonkey

Literally running out of room. Need to move down the road shortly to stack wood. 1/2 done on this woodlot. 

I don't usually like cutting a woodlot this hard but it wasn't good to begin with. Left good clumps and every good oak and maple I could to grow. Putting in some nice deer plots. This particular situation is the only open spot for 2+ miles. 

I feel like a fool, I left it sat at my sawmill for 6-8 months before I brought it to the woods. Was under the impression it wouldn't do hardwood. Wrong. Don't go for real big stuff but your average FW/pulp stick up to 24" forget it. Topping saw needs a new adjuster but she sits and purrs. Trying to pound out saw logs and getting nothing but fw.

treeslayer2003

lol, yeah i never even seen a hemlock boys. plankton, weren't criticism you at all, just conversation. sizwheel is strange until ya get the hang of it, like most cuts every thing much match up for it to work. it even works well on white oak if done right. it took me a while to understand it and just how it works, but now its a good tool to have.
great pics barge.

RHP Logging

Placement of the sizwheel can be a big factor. 

Barge- what did you do to your foot?  I know youre super busy but a video of that delimber running some hardwood through would be awesome. I've never seen it.
Buckin in the woods

Plankton

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 22, 2016, 09:22:59 AM
lol, yeah i never even seen a hemlock boys. plankton, weren't criticism you at all, just conversation. sizwheel is strange until ya get the hang of it, like most cuts every thing much match up for it to work. it even works well on white oak if done right. it took me a while to understand it and just how it works, but now its a good tool to have.
great pics barge.

Oh ya didn't take it that way at all I  always enjoy falling talk :)

Bargemonkey that's a impressive pile of wood there! That would take me months to put up, looks good

BargeMonkey

Had to do a couple quick repairs to our big cab tractor and it was parked right next to the road ditch. Got off the step and with the high grass and in a hurry, didn't work out to well.

I would not attempt real decent HW "logs" or anything high grade. The knives are very aggressive and peel anything they touch. It works best for the 12"-24" stuff that's fairly straight. If your not to rough I've cleaved off 3-4" RO and HM limbs, you kind of work around them or use the topping saw. Small SM or beech, forget it. Chews thru it. My mechanic watched me chew up 3 triaxle loads in 1 hr while he was welding and gave the dinosaur some credit. I've got a pile of clearing work and hemlock /softwood to cut. Quite the learning curve with the mechanical stuff. It's not the machine it's how to set everything up so you literally don't have a log jam. My next job is 5 small lots and a clearing job, I'm getting smarter and now won't slash a stick of wood for a while. Cut, skid, delimb and pile it, then slash and load a trailer to avoid a monster header and double handling. 

Not to bad to work on. Quite the pile of hoses. 6-466T engine, not to bad on fuel because it runs at just above idle. 

I never wanted to be the guy with the big iron, the first one to admit sometimes you can't do the same quality job I could do with my 440D. Problem is "time". I don't have alot of it, and the landowners want you in and out. I will say losing the brush in 1-2 spots in the woods make for a clean job and they love the clean ATV trails. Quite the bear population where I'm working right now. Seen a couple in the daylight but a pile of pictures at night on my cameras and last weekend the one landowner had some issues with a large bear.

BargeMonkey

Couple pictures from today. Not alot of real good wood on this job, today I hunted down a bunch.

ehp

that stuff looks ok Barge , your moving lots of wood

barbender

Looking good, Barge! You can try back beveling your knives a bit to keep them from digging in so aggressively.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Sharpened the knives the other day, the previous owner had welded in strips for debarking with little lugs and it works good but don't grab something with a big bell because when you reach back watch out. I'm cutting alot of junk lowgrade and smaller stuff, it's almost sad what used to take me 3-4 days with a saw and cable skidder I do in an afternoon now. I've really tried to watch how these big operations in Maine do it and you can crank some wood out. I had that delimber sold to a "friend" of Coxy's  :D :D :D and I'm glad now I didnt. I don't want to brag to hard but I have exactly 0.00 dollars tied up in it.  ;D
The sickness of mechanical logging.  :D. I've got a woodsplitter to pay for and after that I'm hunting down a chipper and 3 axle log trailer. Slashed till I ran out of light tonight, got more wood than I can handle and about ready to finally quit tugboating.  ;D   finally got the last permit I lacked on the store so that's getting close to putting the building up, divorce #2 is my biggest headache right now.  :D :D :D 

treeslayer2003

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 24, 2016, 10:53:31 PM
Sharpened the knives the other day, the previous owner had welded in strips for debarking with little lugs and it works good but don't grab something with a big bell because when you reach back watch out. I'm cutting alot of junk lowgrade and smaller stuff, it's almost sad what used to take me 3-4 days with a saw and cable skidder I do in an afternoon now. I've really tried to watch how these big operations in Maine do it and you can crank some wood out. I had that delimber sold to a "friend" of Coxy's  :D :D :D and I'm glad now I didnt. I don't want to brag to hard but I have exactly 0.00 dollars tied up in it.  ;D
The sickness of mechanical logging.  :D. I've got a woodsplitter to pay for and after that I'm hunting down a chipper and 3 axle log trailer. Slashed till I ran out of light tonight, got more wood than I can handle and about ready to finally quit tugboating.  ;D   finally got the last permit I lacked on the store so that's getting close to putting the building up, divorce #2 is my biggest headache right now.  :D :D :D
divorce 2 at 32? you are just a little more hard headed than i am lol

RHP Logging

And here I thought barge was swinging single with no strings at 32 :D

Thats a lot of wood decked and looks cool and all but my favorite landing is full of bark and log divots from where the pile used to be.
Buckin in the woods

chevytaHOE5674

I enjoy coming out of the woods at the end of the day and seeing all the wood the forwarder has decked up along the road knowing that I processed every stick of it. But I'd rather come out of the woods to the taillights of a couple log trucks heading out knowing that a paycheck is on the way.

BargeMonkey

I was single at 32 till I met this one. Every man has his "kryptonite" and blue eyed Irish girls do this guy in quick.   :D  she will be here tomorrow night, sunday maybe a bit rough for me.  ;D
I want this job done and over with, the skid from the back is horrible, takes me 30+ minutes a drag up a MT both ways. Barely covering the fuel. Lucky to get a load out every 10 days. Yeah firewood is nice but only to a certain point. Slashed till dark tonight, hopefully get some log length delivered tomorrow with all the other crap ive got to do.  >:(
Never underestimate a man who is hungry and willing to work a true 15hrs a day.  :D 

coxy

I had that delimber sold to a "friend" of Coxy's  :D :D :D
HEY HEY HEY watch it those are fighting words  :D :D :) a friend is not suppose to screw another friend out of 6grand  are they  :-\ :-\

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on June 25, 2016, 06:22:17 AM
I had that delimber sold to a "friend" of Coxy's  :D :D :D
HEY HEY HEY watch it those are fighting words  :D :D :) a friend is not suppose to screw another friend out of 6grand  are they  :-\ :-\
I figured that would get you going this morning.  :D ;)  glad I didn't deal anymore with him, I hope he got good service out of the antique he bought. You staying busy ???  Yeah 6k bucks is a huge hit, I would go start picking stuff up, I've got some muscle with a truckload of Dominicans and don't hesitate to go twist hands for money, usually they figure it out real quick and just pay.  :D coming from the maritime world you meet alot of people in shady places.

coxy

its going good if I could get the big black rats to leave chased one about a 400lbs down the skid trail with the skidder yesterday but he was a little faster than me they have no fear they will come close to you even with the saw running it dosent seem to bother them they get any braver and it will be time for some  fudd-smiley fudd-smiley :rifle: :rifle: 8) 8) 8) 8) don't know if the heat has something to do with it or what the people on the road wont even take there walks with out a few other people with them the light poles are all tore up from them marking there spot iknow there is 5 different ones cause the size of the tracks

teakwood

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 24, 2016, 11:51:30 PM
divorce 2 at 32? you are just a little more hard headed than i am lol

between Boat, logging and quarrys and i cuote :   Never underestimate a man who is hungry and willing to work a true 15hrs a day, you think that man has some hours left for a wife????  smiley_huh no_no Young girls from now a day wont put up with that anymore.

A free tip from me barge: If you dont want a third divorce, the hell stop getting maried!! :D :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!